Thread: Callaham's 'Distressed' option - anyone have info?

Forum Member

Callaham's 'Distressed' option - anyone have info?

Does anyone have any hands-on time or photos of Callaham's 'distressed' option? It's generally +$20 above the stock part and the example images on the info page (http://www.callahamguitars.com/distress.htm) don't really show any significant detail...the jack cup just looks satin. If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Forum Member

Re: Callaham's 'Distressed' option - anyone have info?

Anyone?

Gravity Jim

Well, the finish is dulled, (satin-y), I suppose. They make it pretty clear that it's not "relic'ed" (you know, all rusted and pitted). So, you can draw a pretty conclusion from that, I think.... I mean, I think they're saying there's no detail to be shown... it's the same part, only not shiny.

That paragraph and the two photos seem to sum up his approach, and his views in general on relic'ing new parts he's just spent time making.

"It has never made sense to me to make tuners, screws, etc. unusable just for the sake of appearance and to make the appearance as though the guitar and parts were never cared for in any manner."
    " If you want something that looks like it has been in a fire or worse, it is up to you to ruin it. But if you want a cool looking instrument that holds pitch and will properly intonate, this hardware will meet those requirements."
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Yah, I dunno if a +$20 upcharge for a satin part is worth it...I was just wondering if it was uniformly satin or realisticly 'distressed' looking, meaning random scratches, etc.

Also worth noting that the Callaham bridge plate is Nickel, rather than Chrome plated, meaning it would react with etchant and/or HCl fumes.

Forum Member

Yah, I dunno if a +$20 upcharge for a satin part is worth it...I was just wondering if it was uniformly satin or realisticly 'distressed' looking, meaning random scratches, etc.
    A $20 upcharge for a randomly scratched part makes more sense?
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Gravity Jim

Shoot, I'll scratch it up old school for ten.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    A $20 upcharge for a randomly scratched part makes more sense?
    Good point. :) I've got a new project where I'm building a vintage-correct light relic strat and for me, $20 would be worth it if it looks correct.

Callaham makes a decent point that all old guitars aren't necessarily beat to s*#t.

Plugging and unplugging a cable, and a few string changes can easily result in a few random marks.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Callaham makes a decent point that all old guitars aren't necessarily beat to s*#t
    Right...mine isn't going to be beat to shit, some light relicing on the hardware, lacquer checking and wear on the back of the neck.

I emailed Bill and asked if he had some additional example photos, if he has any to share I will post them up.