Thread: "3rd string" Strat Problem

Forum Member

"3rd string" Strat Problem

Problem is only the 3rd string, It sound like a little buzz even check and tune intonation and string height and neck adjustment to the proper position already.

I don't know how to clearly describe but this "little buzz" sound you can notice quite clear when used od/distortion sound.

Some say the bridge problem, but I've already try to swap the 2nd and 3rd saddles but the problem still in the 3rd string.

Also string guage and brand already test but still the same.

My guitar is American Deluxe Strat.

Thanks.

Just a wild guess here but perhaps the pickups are too high and this problem results from the magnet warbling that string a bit?

Could also be that the nut is cut too deep or a fret needs to be redressed.

Forum Member
    Thanks.... I'll try to. :-)

Forum Member
    Need more info:

1) Does it buzz in the open position? Then probably the nut slot is cut too deep. I usually fix that by putting crazy glue in the slot, wait for it to dry, and then re-cut the slot.*

(*Probably most of the gang will advise against this because the open G won't ring as clearly as before -- but I don't mind because I don't like such a drastic difference between open and fretted tone, especially on the G.)

2) Does it buzz only on certain frets? If so, then a fret leveling/dressing is in order.

3) Do most/all of the strings buzz when open and frequently when fretted, particularly on the lower half of the neck? Then the neck may be bowed slightly backwards and a simple truss rod adjustment is needed.

4) Oh -- and yes, as someone said, the pickups may be too high. This is a problem inherent with Strats. The pole pieces rather than being merely magnetic actually ARE magnets themselves and so have a much stronger pull on the strings than a humbucker or other adjustable pole pickup. If you've just GOT to have the pickups up high for the output/sensitivity, then look into Kinman pu's. They're pricey but worth it.
    Last edited by Zhangliqun; 05-14-2003 at 10:30 AM.