Thread: BOSS FDR-1

BOSS FDR-1

Hi Guys,

I got a Boss FDR-1 (DRRI Amp Simulator) for Christmas. It's horrible. I get a very middley glassy tone which I can't seem to trim out. I don't know what I was expecting but I thought it would be better than this. Surely the actual DRRI doesn't sound like that. I've tried it in front of my amp and in the effects loop and thru the PA mixing desk. The result is the same. Maybe it's because I'm using a semi hollow guitar - Epi Sheraton? Any thoughts?

Pete
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently.

Henry Ford

Re: BOSS FDR-1

Hmmm, I was thinking about one of them for the Vib/Reverb. It's a shame it's crap.
    I guess it *could* be because of the guitar... got a tele to try it with?

Oh, i've got my GZ34 if you still want that WZ34.

Best,
    Tommy.

I've got an FDR-1.

I don't have difficulty getting good sounds out of it.

The way I've been using it lately is in front of my Laney LC15 (small 1-10 EL84 tube amp). I set the amp up so it is a little bit into distortion, then I turn on the FRD-1 and back off the output level until it cleans up the sound. Set trem, tone & OD as desired.

This way, I keep the pedal on for a clean fenderish sound, then turn it off for tube overdrive.

Hi Tommy,

I got the FDR-1 with the intention of using it in the effects loop when build my 5F6-A. I will persevere with as I have not had much time to mess about with it. Yes I still want that Copper Cap. I'll e-mail you. If we meet up maybe I can let you try the FDR-1.

Pete

Henry Ford

Toneseeker, where in the circuit are you putting the fx loop?

Buffered, or unbuffered?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I've got the FDR-1 and have been using it into my mixer/headphones for home practice. I don't seem to have the issue that you have, even with a very trebly Strat. I've used my Strats and my Epi '56 Goldtop RI through this pedal with decent results.

My take on the FDR-1 is that it is decent, but not great. It's close but not quite a DDRI (which I own and play as well), but I didn't expect it to be. You'll see the typical complaint that the reverb is quite cheesy. I like the reverb until you get the "sproing" which is annyoing. It would be substantially better if they modelled that out of the sound...I do, however, really dig the built in vibrato.

I also just bought a POD 2.0 and its blackface setting (modelled after a '64 BF DR) is pretty decent, too. I use this through my mixer and into headphones as well for silent practice.

I'd put both the FDR-1 and the POD 2.0 (BF DR setting) in the same class in terms of sound quality.

If I were to do it over again, I'd just go with the POD - virtually the same price as the FDR-1, but with lots of other features. Spend a bit more and get the POD XT with more features and connectivity....

Note that I have not used the FDR-1 in front of an amp at volume. Since I play through a real DRRI, I don't really have the need but it would be interesting to see what it does or doesn't do....

I though about selling the FDR-1, but right now I'm of the frame of mind that I'll keep my pedals for either curiosity's sake or for the possibility that one day I'll need it for a particular sound on a recording....

DD

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdog View Post
    It's close but not quite a DDRI
    Is that the "Dirt Dog Re Issue"?

Kapn, I have not yet started the HRDX conversion to 5F6-A so not sure exactly how I'm going to fit in a send/return. I plan on using a Marshall type circuit with a 12au7 if that's what you mean by buffered. Proper impedance matching. Cathode follower input and common cathode output. Marshall have it feeding off the master pot. No master pot on 5F6-A. I tried using a Sansamp in series with the FDR-1 and that gives the desired tone but at greatly reduced headroom.
    Dirtdog, I just got rid of a Line6 POD cause I couldn't get a decent tone out of it through my HRDX. Brilliant through the desk though. Must be some kind of impedance matching problem. As for the reverb, I only use a very small amount for ambience and I fancied using it as there is no reverb on the 5F6-A. The sproingy noise is only apparent above 3, bloody annoying if you like a lot of reverb or want to record with it.
    I'm told I wont miss the reverb with pure tweed circuit, I'd just like to have the option thus the send/return circuit.

Pete
    Last edited by Toneseeker; 01-04-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Dang, Guitar_Mc, you beat me to it!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I've had more time to mess around with it. I've been running it on batteries and discovered it really needs a PSU. This thing takes 200 mAmps so batteries dont last long. I've been using inferior rechargables. It sounds much better now.

Pete

Henry Ford

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TONESEEKER View Post

I'm told I wont miss the reverb with pure tweed circuit, I'd just like to have the option thus the send/return circuit.

Pete
    Pete,

If your 5F6A clone sounds as good as mine, you wont care about reverb or an effects loop. I'd build an external reverb later if you really miss it. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Dang, Guitar_Mc, you beat me to it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Oh gawd, no....you don't want two of me hanging around this planet....;-)...unless I might be improved with a PCB or two....

DD