Thread: Bridge 'bucker pickup for a bright guitar

Forum Member

Bridge 'bucker pickup for a bright guitar

...as far as i can tell there are two options. The SuperD...which doesnt blend volume wise with low output S/C's..or the Duncan PATB-3 "Blues Saraceno".
    I have heard the PATB-3 is the absolute answer to bright icepick guitar bridge bucker problems.Thats good because I need to try one in the bridge of my walnut H-S-S Strat with two Dimarzio JYM's in middle and neck. Currently installed in the bridge is Duncan Custom shop Antiquities/Pearly Gates Hybrid, which is a fine pickup for alder and other balnced guitars, but is just completely shrill and icepicky in the bridge of "ol (wal)nutty".

Re: Bridge 'bucker pickup for a bright guitar

I had a PRS CE22 Maple top that was extremely bright. Duncan '59 and Seth Lovers were just shrill and thin in that guitar. The original Dragon I bridge pickup was fat, but didn't have too much low end. It sounded like a really hot Broadcaster. Believe it or not, the best neck pickup for that guitar was a Duncan JB. I used to get tons of compliments on my tone with that pickup combo.

When I tried the Dragon I in my Les Paul Classic, the sound was middy and muddy. The Same LP with Fralin mid-8k PAF copies was the best sounding guitar I ever owned. Full, brightsolid lows, articulate and great sustain.

You can get a Dragon I pickup relatively cheap. I have read some folks say the Duncan Custom Custom has a similar fat tone to the Dragon I, but not as loud. Hope this helps.