Thread: Wah choices??

Forum Member

Wah choices??

I want a new wah..which one should I get..I like the old vox wah sound but cant seem to find it.... any suggestions? for a new one?

Re: Wah choices??

I picked up a new Vox 847 (not the 847a, nor the 848), then put in a true bypass mod with LED to let me know if it were on or off without rocking the switch. I love it, it's the wah I wanted. I had thought about doing the Clyde mod, but right now it's meeting my needs.

I've played with a Jimi Hendrix Crybaby, and it's good too. Basically it sounds like half of the sweep of my Vox.

I also tried a regular Crybaby and wasn't too thrilled with it. It belonged to someone else, wasn't new and may have been modded at some point, so I can't say if I would like a new one or not.

I also tried a Morley Wah. It was interesting because there was no on/off switch. The thing was spring loaded to bring the toe up when your foot isn't on it. In this position, it sounded like it wasn't on at all. Step on it and it Wah'd pretty nice. I'm still not sure if I like the fact that it's on always, even if it doesn't affect the sound. I tend to trip/step on pedals occassionally and wouldn't want it doing its thing unexpectedly just because my toe caught it sideways or something.

Heard another players Weeping Demon. It wasn't my favorite. The same with the Zakk Wylde, just not my style. I'm more of a traditional type of player and want classic tones that meet those expectations.

Of course, the best advice it to try a bunch of them and figure out what works best for you. Unfortunately that's not always possible.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by theeodds View Post
    I want a new wah..which one should I get..I like the old vox wah sound but cant seem to find it.... any suggestions? for a new one?
    Roger Mayer Vision Wah. There's no other wah like it. It has so many possibilities. It costs like $650; save up.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by CastlesMadeofSand View Post
    Roger Mayer Vision Wah. There's no other wah like it. It has so many possibilities. It costs like $650; save up.
    Yeah, right. Save up, and then decide, hmmm.... a guitar? Used DRRI? House payment? No, wait... a wah-wah pedal... yeah, that's the ticket!

$650?

I can't imagine needing that much wah.

Unless I was playing extended versions of the "Theme from Shaft" every night.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

For as much as I need or even want a wah, a plain old cheap Crybaby will do. Growing up and playing in th 60's and 70's, I kind of got real tired of the effect. You can make it true bypass if you want to. But, if it's really important to the type of music you play, then the Vox 847 may be the way to go.

Forum Member

I have an Area 51 that sounds just Marvelous!

Teese, Budda and Fulltone Wahs are also top shelf.

+1 for the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe - think they go for $239 or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Yeah, right. Save up, and then decide, hmmm.... a guitar? Used DRRI? House payment? No, wait... a wah-wah pedal... yeah, that's the ticket!
    That maybe so, but Roger Mayer pedals have greater resale value than say Full-Tone, Dunlop, etc. Yes, it's expensive because it is made out of carbon fibre and it has 16 different wah sweeps with wah depth and EQ. Of course there's that Hendrix connection. Yeah, it may not be realistic but you get what you pay for. I do like the Clyde Wah though and I never tried the Vox847 but judging by the videos it's okay.

Gravity Jim

It's true that you never get MORE than you pay for. But you frequently get much less.

When the new price of that Roger Mayer pedal is as much as triple that of what it's being compared to, the resale "value" better be... better.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The Clyd emccoy vox is always a good choise, the dunlop crybaby classic is also pretty decent
    RIP Lacey Cat 1992-2009

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    When the new price of that Roger Mayer pedal is as much as triple that of what it's being compared to, the resale "value" better be... better.
    I got mine for $350 so I got lucky. I will be posting a YouTube video on the Roger Mayer wah-pedal. I love the Band of Gypsies wah tone. Don't bother with the Dunlop wah pedal cuz I went through 4 of them and the switch wears out quickly unless you don't use it as heavily as I do. Just my opinion.

Forum Member

JMO, but paying $350 for a wah isnt getting lucky.

Another vote here for the Vox 847.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by CastlesMadeofSand View Post
    When I first read this I was like, $650.00!?! Does Hendrix come over to my place and play it for me? But then, I guess its not much different then a CS Strat, or an off the rack guitar with "fill in the blank" custom wound pickups and "fill in the blank" after market replacement bridge/saddles. Like I have said about so many things I thought were exorbitantly priced, if you have the money and it makes you happy then why not?
    That being said; I sure would like to hear clips of the $650.00 wah. And for what its worth I really love the sound of the new Vox Clyde Mccoy's, going to pick up the next one I come across...

+1 Vox 847. It seems to have a more classic sound than the Crybaby.

Forum Member

I've heard great things from some friends about the new Ernie Ball Wah. I have yet to try it, but I would like to someday. I don't used the wah a whole bunch. I'm currently using a Crybaby 535Q which is very versatile as it has a lot of range.

Forum Member

I have a Morley Bad Horsie (the old model). I loved that it has no on/off switch. I always find Wahs difficult to turn off & on, and sometimes I don't push the button completely.

The problem with the bad horsie is that it boosts the signal. Fine if you want it for a solo, but not necessarily good for rhythm playing.

It has a nice deep wah, though.

Tourin the southland in a travelin minstrel show...

Best bang for the buck is an old Thomas Organ Crybaby (w/ the tropical fish inside). You can pick me up for $50 or so. Then all you gotta do is change one $0.50 resistor to make it more 'vowel-y.'