Thread: Glenn Kaiser

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Glenn Kaiser

The day before my birthday I got to see Glenn Kaiser perform. Man what a voice, what guitar skills, and what a heart. I swear Glenn is one of the nicest men I've ever met. After the concert and short sermon, we talked and he gave me the sound advice about my spiritual life and my guitar playing that I asked for.

I even got several fatherly hugs from this guy. It's like God told him I likes me some hugs.

In case you don't know who this man is, he was/is a member of Resurrection Band one of the first hard rockin' Christain bands. He also has many really great blues albums out. I recommend the albums he did in the band: Kaiser Mansfield

"The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"

Forum Member

Re: Glenn Kaiser

I saw him several times during the Resurrection Band days. Got to go up with my band and talk to him after a show in Tulsa, and we also had the pleasure of attending his lectures for musicians at the first Cornerstone Festival.

All that was back when I was in high school. About eight years ago, I went searching online for CD versions of all the Rez albums I only had on vinyl, and I found his solo album, Throw Down Your Crowns. I ended up ordering it, and I liked it so much I bought my mom a copy (one of the few times I knew she'd like some music I liked -- our tastes don't usually overlap, even in gospel ).

And just about a week ago, I was listening to Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs album, and it struck me how much a lot of early Rez stuff sounded like Trower, and how much of an influence his music must've had on Glenn Kaiser and Stu Heiss. I went searching on the web again -- this time to see if anyone else had ever remarked on the Trower/early Rez thing -- and I found out about the latest chapter in Glenn's career and his blues music.

I immediately dl'ed the Glenn Kaiser Band's live album from Amazon.com, and I've been listening to it for the past week. Great stuff! I'd love to see him play live again.
    Last edited by elicross; 12-19-2007 at 05:14 PM.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    I
    I immediately dl'ed the Glenn Kaiser Band's live album from Amazon.com, and I've been listening to it for the past week. Great stuff! I'd love to see him play live again.
    Well I heard a rumor that Rez band was going to do another show somtime in the next year, and glenn has been doing various projects... and I think he is still rather active as far as playing solo shows here and there. I think he lives in the chicago land area, and while he plays all over the world I would guess you'd have a better chance seeing him round here.

When I went to see him play it was at vineyard church as part of a memorial concert for the very young daughter of a friend of a friend of his who died while waiting for a double lung transplant. Also playing with him was Andi and I (the husband/wife folk rock band my ex-guitar teach is in), and a couple Jesus People who were in a band.

Glenn did a number of songs that I first heard on albums like slow burn and trimmed and burning. He talked about what it's like to be a grandpa and that his grand kids are about as old as the child that died.

very touching.
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

TFF Stage Crew

I like Glen & always thought he was the real deal. I knew he was doing solo stuff but hadn't heard anything since his days w/Rez.

Resurrection Band's Colours was one of the first albums I got that was all my own. Still pull it out from time to time and listen to it. The Kaiser/Mansfield stuff rules! I also like Glenn's performance on the Mark Heard tribute album Orphans of God.

A truly gifted musician and a kind and intelligent pastor. Glad to know others here dig him.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Wow, it's wild to think of him with grandkids.

When I first saw that he was doing solo stuff, I naturally wondered what happened to Rez. I was even worried that maybe he'd split with his wife, since she wasn't on any of the solo stuff I'd heard. But I notice in the great song "Queen of My Heart" on the Live album, he mentions Wendy by name. So that made me happy.

What are the other Rez guys doing these days? It's awesome to think they might get together again, even if it's just for a show. I'd just as soon see Glenn do his solo stuff live today, though, since I was lucky enough to catch Rez live a few times back in their prime.

It really is great to see that he and Resurrection Band are better known than I'd have guessed. Stuff by Rez is so hard to find, I was afraid nobody knew who they were these days. If Glenn had been a mainstream rock singer, he'd be considered one of the greats. I'd put the best songs on their earliest albums up against just about any mainstream rock song you want to mention.

What other blues albums would you recommend by him? I like Live a lot, and I was thinking maybe I'd get Winter Sun next.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    What other blues albums would you recommend by him? I like Live a lot, and I was thinking maybe I'd get Winter Sun next.
    Trimmed and Burning & Slow Burn 2 cd set
    http://www.grrrrecords.com/store/ind...category_ID=48

before this was out I had to hunt down used copies of the albums individually, unfortunately i left them at home so he couldn't sign them.

also:
    Spontaneous Combustion, and Carolina Moon

Also "into the night" has some good stuff on it, though not all of it is glenn

Forum Member

Thanks! I found the Grrr Records site yesterday and went a little nuts. Ordered Colors, DMZ, Ampendectomy, Mommy Don't Love Daddy Anymore, and a 2-disc set of Trimmed & Burning and Slow Burn. Also bought the download version of Innocent Blood.

(They've got a deal going where if you buy 5 or more CDs, you get 20 percent off, so that's like 5 for the price of 4, right?)

I had all those Rez albums (except Ampendectomy) on vinyl or tape, so I know I like them. And the samples I heard of Ampendectomy and the Kaiser-Mansell albums sounded great. So I'll be set for a while when these arrive.

I too am a fan of Glenn's Christian blues stuff. I would recommend that you also check out Larry Howard for even more of that sound. Larry's played on several albums with Glenn over the years and used to play with southern rockers Grinderswitch back in the 70's. He now does a lot of prison ministry work but is still a heck of a guitar player (like Glenn).
    MMCQUAIN * Rock, Blues, Christian player * mmcquain@mcquain.com
    Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute, Breedlove Acoustic/Electric
    Egnater, Dean Markley, D'Addario, various effect pedals
    http://www.youtube.com/mmcquain * http://www.facebook.com/mmcquain

Glenn is the real deal.........
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

yep! Talked to Glenn a couple times when he was here for Kingdom Bound. A truely real person and he don't mind helping out in any way possible.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!