Thread: Los Straitjackes=Fender Fun

Forum Member

Los Straitjackets=Fender Fun

I'm not sure this post belongs here, But here goes.. I had a chance to see Los Straitjackets last night. If you like the 60's beach, surf, twang, rock & roll. When it was rock & roll..not some whinney guy singin' Feel Sorry for Me, I'm a Rock Star. You'll dig these guys.

Matching custom Jazzmaster copies(two guitars and bass). four pickup jobbies through what looked like SF Pros. To small for Twins and to big for Vibroluxes. The bass player use a BF Bassmen with the 2 15 cab... It brought me back to when I was 6 and first heard Secret Agent Man.

OK let's forget they wear mexican wrestling masks when they play, and they play intrumentals. They are the coolest thing I've heard in a long time.

I'd be interested to hear from other fans....
    Last edited by DWeber; 05-08-2003 at 06:49 PM.

Forum Member
    I've seen them a couple of times, they're a great band with lots of fans and a Yahoo group dedicated to them (if you're interested in more, there's also a general Yahoo surf music site where they're occasionally discussed). The music & stage show are clever and lots of fun (were the Pontani sisters along?), and all bandmembers have solid rock'n'roll pedigrees. From your description, the guitars sound like DiPintos, which they endorse (check out the DiPinto site to see what I mean). Otherwise, they used Fenders (strat & JM). If anyone doubts their abilities or thinks they're just a joke band, check out their vocal album ('sing along with..."), where they back various vocalists in a bunch of exceptionally cool 60s songs. Very very solid.
    Rock often, rock hard

Forum Member
    Your right on with Dipinto's. There was a link on the LS web site, and amps were Vibroluxes. I use a 71, but the grill cloth has been off a while, and it looks smaller, so it threw me off. As I'm writing this my 14 year old son is sitting in his Pete Curry(bass player)mask, playing Rockula and Casbah along with the live CD, doing all the dance moves,as well.

The Pontani's weren't there.but after running across their web site, I found out they and the Straitjackets are playing Summerfest here in Milwaukee, on July 3rd, the same day my band is scheduled to play there. It'll be cool if their playing the same stage.

As far as their talent goes.....We've open up for tons of national country acts, and have listened to hours of sound checks. It was way cool to see these guys walk in with their gear after the warm-up act, and just go. I was impressed. Tight.

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Saw them at Stanford. They smoked! We talked about Vibrolux Reverb amps for about 20 minutes (we both had blackline '68 amps).

Forum Member
    What an awesome band! I always bring at least one of their CDs on road trips.