Thread: I want a Marshall Overdrive Sound through a Fender Twin RI?

I want a Marshall Overdrive Sound through a Fender Twin RI?

Here is a list of most of the tools I use. I've tried them in every conceiveable adjustment and order...

-Fender Clapton Strat / Gibson Les Paul Goldtop(P90s)
    -MXR Dynacomp (slight compression/sustain boost)
    -Thomas Organ Crybaby (tru-bypass and pot modded)
    -Fulldrive II (semi-clean boost/slight overdrive)
    -Boss BD2 (medium overdrive)
    -Boss MT2 distortion (heavy distortion)
    -Vintage Germanium Fuzz Face (60's "Satisfaction" sounds)
    -Sweetsound Ultra Vibe (chorus/vibrato)
    -Boss RV3 (for delay)
    -Dunlop Volume (manage the output to amp)
    -Fender 65' Twin Reissue.

Hey... I get Sweet Clean tones... Fat Blues... Crunch and compressed Grind... Almost anything I want out of this setup. I'm spoiled to this amp for those qualities. My Marshall handles all of my Hard Rock/Metal songs. I've tried MANY MANY overdrives and distortions and can't find one that will get me the grind my Marshall gets, so I won't have to carry all that extra equipment. We don't play many OZZY, ZEP, Hendrix, Mountain, or ZZTOP songs, but my rig just doesn't seem to capture the Marshall feel the songs deserve.

Before I spend another couple hundred on yet another distortion pedal... could I get some opinions from some of you who've fought this battle and found the solution?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Barber Direct Drive SS

From the research I've done, the Barber Direct Drive is the way to go. And the SS model is the best choice because it has 3 internal pots,(harmonics, bass and presence)to fine tune your tone.(My interest here is to be able to match the bass on the pedal to the bass on my amps clean sound).
    Their cheap too, $99 for the standard and $129 for the SS model.
    There's about a 3 or 4 wk. wait on them. My orders in! I'm going to Marshallize my Reverand Hellhound w/it.
    Check out the reviews on the DD at Harmony Central. Their website is: www.barberelectronics.com
    *Oh yeah, they also post mods you can do yourself on their site,..kewl!*
    Last edited by Willie T; 06-22-2003 at 12:20 AM.

Forum Member
    Hmmm,..I don't know how this mirror thread got started! I posted my reply to your thread below. Oh well, good luck on your quest for tone.

Forum Member

Re: Barber Direct Drive SS

Originally posted by Willie T
    From the research I've done, the Barber Direct Drive is the way to go. And the SS model is the best choice because it has 3 internal pots,(harmonics, bass and presence)to fine tune your tone.(My interest here is to be able to match the bass on the pedal to the bass on my amps clean sound).
    Their cheap too, $99 for the standard and $129 for the SS model.
    There's about a 3 or 4 wk. wait on them. My orders in! I'm going to Marshallize my Reverand Hellhound w/it.
    Check out the reviews on the DD at Harmony Central. Their website is: www.barberelectronics.com
    *Oh yeah, they also post mods you can do yourself on their site,..kewl!*
    Yep. The DD was designed to give classic Marshall to Fender amp players. Works for me...in spades.

Forum Member
    Try a ProCo RI Vintage Rat. I use it with a 59' bassman RI and a Blues Deluxe and can dial in a pretty good Marshall grind. They only cost around $80.00.

Forum Member
    I had good luck with a Marshall Gov'nor pedal when I had my old Twin.

Alternatively, you could rewire the normal channel on the amp to 'Tweed' specs for a growly Marshall/Bassman type raunchy tone.

:)