Thread: The Jim and Shelly Show

Gravity Jim

The Jim and Shelly Show

We've have several good rehearsals, including a great and productive afternoon yesterday. Of the dozen or so songs we've got locked down, my faves are:

Time After Time (not like Cindy Lauper, but not exactly like Cassandra Wilson, either)
    Don't Know Why (Norah Jones)
    Stand Still, Look Pretty (The Wreckers)

We'll be ready in January, I think. It took us both a little while to really commit to the act, but we're BFF for now.

Re: The Jim and Shelly Show

I love that Norah Jones stuff. She's so smoooooth.

How about a jazzy, chick version of Hallelujah? Ever since Fezz put up that thread, I've been obsessed with finding different versions of it.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Gravity Jim

You know, that's not a bad idea. We're working again this PM... I'll bring it up.

We're working out a tune that NeoFauve suggested that's just killing... "I Wish I Knew How (It Would Feel To Be Free)" by Nina Simone. That's going to be one of my faves, once we get it goin' on.

Gravity Jim

Well, we'll be recording a demo in a couple weeks, so I'll be sure to get some online licenses and post clips... also some pics of my partner, who gets a look on her face when she's singing that is a wonderful thing.

Sounds cool Jim. I'm sure you guys will have a lot of fun and get some nice gigs.

TFF Stage Crew

Sounds great. Can't wait to hear the demo.

best of luck my man!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Go get'em Jim, and good luck to ya..

Gravity Jim

Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen.

Hey, does anybody have a recommendation on a good, small, portable, packaged PA suitable for a gig like this? Four inputs is plenty...

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement, gentlemen.

Hey, does anybody have a recommendation on a good, small, portable, packaged PA suitable for a gig like this? Four inputs is plenty...
    Jim, one of my bands uses this in the practice room. Nice clean sounding little system. The speakers can be stand mounted, or used as floor monitors (the speakers hit the road with us for stage monitors). it's very light, very compact, and even has reverb and delay effects.

https://www.carvin20.com/products/si...duct=P410-1002
    If I shoot at mimes, should I use a silencer?

Jim,

Right now for the compact setup, I'm using:

Mackie DFX-6 mixer -stows in a bag nicely. Usable, but not amazing fx quality.

SKB three space roller-rack filled with a wireless and a QSC RMX1450 power amp. It could also easily be a rack rider with the power amp

2-3 Turbosound TXD-12M monitors. One as a monitor, one or two as house, depending on the gig. I actually have four of them. They sound decent as FOH, or as monitors, as long as you're not expecting a lot of bass. Worlds better than EONs.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I've got a 200 watt Yamaha 6 channel board that sounds great in a small setting like practice or for what you're doing. I'm pretty sure it's a late 70's or early 80's deal, but it's way cool. I'll check the model number and get you a pic if you're interested. I've seen them really cheap on the 'bay.

BTW, congrats! I'm glad all is going well and I'm looking forward to hearing the demo!

Tear 'em up, Jim!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Gravity Jim

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. I was drawn to the "all in one" Yamaha packages, but I don't think I can trust the mics. Probably just superstition on my part, but I suspect those mics are throw-aways.

Jim,

If you need some nice performance mics, I'd recommend some Sennheiser e935's. A lot of clarity, not a lot of proximity, a pretty sharp off-axis dropoff. Shoot me an email.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Gravity Jim

Kap'n: will do.

Jim,
    who you gonna hire to do marketing / publicity?
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    Jim,
    who you gonna hire to do marketing / publicity?
    I know you're joshing me, but in truth Shelly D's got that under control. Between working her own band and a couple years of slinging drinks at the Cork, she knows everybody in town. It looks like getting a gig and filling the room will be as easy as a phone call and a mass e-mailing.

Sounds like another Ft Wayne trip down the road...

I'm excited for you, sounds like fun

Well, we'll be recording a demo in a couple weeks, so I'll be sure to get some online licenses and post clips... also some pics of my partner, who gets a look on her face when she's singing that is a wonderful thing.
    Can't wait to check this stuff out.
    Cool.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

GJ, will you be using any other guitars in your show or the Zencaster exclusively. If so, what kind? Sounds like a fun project.

Curious in California.
    BW

Gravity Jim

68, I'm actually playing my acoustic for everything so far. Shelly plays some guitar and we've talked about doing some songs where she would play acoustic and I'd play the Z-caster.

But then, I'm also lusting after a full-hollow jazz box, specifically a Gretsch Synchromatic that i really got into a while back. We'll see how long this gig lasts before I spend any guitar money....

We'll see how long this gig lasts before I spend any guitar money....
    You think like me, Jim (not always a good thing... ). I got a new G7th capo for a new gig recently, because I'm using a capo often enough to find my el cheapo dunlop strappy thing annoying. I was a bit reluctant to spend the dough, because I was thinking "yeah, that means it'll probably wash up next week".

So I "arranged" to get it as a Christmas present, and all I can say is: What a gas! How can a _capo_ be so much fun? My acoustic's been getting a workout...

I got the G7th on your advice, after you posted about it a while back. I really wish I'd bought a decent one years ago... I had no idea what a difference a good one makes. So thanks for the pointer!

-Mark

Gravity Jim

Plug, my G7th is still one of my favorite objects of all time (not just musical accessories)... right up there with a Zippo lighter. I got mine because I was sick of having to tune and retune when using a capo in the studio. Now I just clamp it on, and it's perfect. Yeah, it's spendy, but it paid for itself in time-savings the first day I used it.

Don't you love the little thumb depression on the underside? Talk about ergonomics... it rules.

By the way, it's official.... The Jim And Shelly Show debuts Wednesday, February 27th at The Dupont Bar & Grille, a yup-scale joint that should fit us perfectly. We've got one set worked out, and should make this first gig in a walk.

way cool

I'll be there in spirit

'free bird!'..

oops, did I say that?

carry on