Thread: Lindy Fralin Real 54's

Forum Member

Lindy Fralin Real 54's

I currently own a 1996 American Standard, and I which I am completely satisfied with, but so that I can play that less I am working on a "practice" guitar. I have a Squier that will soon have a custom paint job, nothing expensive just a little art painted by my sister.

So I have been doing some research, and the Lindy Fralin Real 54's sound really interesting, but I can't seem to find too much information on them. The reviews on Harmony Central seem pretty good, but I would like to hear some opinions about placing these expensive pickups in a cheap Squier? Anyone with any experience?

Re: Lindy Fralin Real 54's

Although I have never come across the 54s I have some of his other sets very good pick ups, IMO I would put them in the 96 standard and put the standards pick ups in the squire, If you want good sounding pickups cheap for the squire throw in GFS repro 60s. Sound good and are cheap. www.guitarfetish.com
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Forum Member

I wouldn't dream of taking out those standard pickups. The definitely aren't the hottest pickups, and the bridge can be extremely bright but I love them. Do you think its worth placing such nice pickups in such a cheap guitar. Will the cheap wood affect the tone of these pickups that drastically?

Quote Originally Posted by delae30 View Post
    I wouldn't dream of taking out those standard pickups. The definitely aren't the hottest pickups, and the bridge can be extremely bright but I love them. Do you think its worth placing such nice pickups in such a cheap guitar. Will the cheap wood affect the tone of these pickups that drastically?
    Probably not affect the tone that much, but sometimes with Squires, compatibility is an issue. Make sure the body is routed deeply enough to accept the pickups without them being too close to the strings.

As with the other suggestion, the GFS pickups sound pretty good. At the price, they're at least worth checking out before you spend big coin on other options. They are definately an improvement over the stock Squire pickups.
    POO DAT!!!

I would not spend the money on the Fralins, but once you have them they could be put in what ever some day, the GFS are very good I have a set of their 64s grey guys and they are very good sounding pick ups. Your squire if it sounds good unplugged or should I say it resonates well then putting a better pick up in will add to its sonic capabilites. You like the standard MIA fender pick ups, they go at a resonable price on E-bay or in the classifieds on forums , lots of guys change them.

I should add that seeing as you like American standard pick ups and you do not find any used you might like the GFS flat pole pick up set with the RWRP middle.If you think you might try those e mail them first the description does not say the middle is RWRP but I think it is. The 64s staggerd does.

Upgrade the pickups, CTS pots in the squire (if they will fit) and upgrade the capacitor to an orange drop or paper in oil, .047 or .1 rewire with good wire like the vintage cloth style wire that is easily available on ebay.

After this its very likely the squire will sound at least as good as the standard. Imo even plywood sounds good with those sort of upgrades and I have at least one plywood body guitar with very nice tone that attest to this (in my opinion.)

Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. I had never heard of the GFS pickups before this forum. The do seem very reasonable for hardwired pickups. I guess I have more research to do. Its pretty hard to find go sound clips of what these different pickups sound like. I just would really like to hear samples before a drop 135-200 bucks on a set of pickups.

Thanks for all the replies. I had never heard of the GFS pickups before this forum. The do seem very reasonable for hardwired pickups. I guess I have more research to do. Its pretty hard to find go sound clips of what these different pickups sound like. I just would really like to hear samples before a drop 135-200 bucks on a set of pickups.
    As far as clips sounding good well you know the player guitar amp and what you are listening to them through all make a diff. I do not put any stock into hearing clips. IMO a person can drive themselves nuts picking a pick up maker to go with Too many out there. Good luck