Thread: had some custom strat pups made.

had some custom strat pups made.

so after dreaming about them a couple nights i had a custom set of flat pole strat pups made. i entertained the GFS pups, but i'd have to buy two sets to acheive what i wanted to do, and even then, it wouldn't be exactly what i wanted.

as it turns out my amp tech has a friend who winds pickups, so i met up with Jim on saturday and talked about what i wanted. my first question was if he could do a 70's type flat pole type, and he said he's done it before, so what was i looking for?

we then talked about what i had done in the past and what i wanted to do different. all this lead to a custom one off set. i'd heard the guy's pups prior to this and thought they sounded pretty darn good. he usually builds 62 type pups, but he's done the 70's flat poles before.

all this to say that i now have a set of flat poles wound 7.8k, 5.9k, and 6.75K, back to front. all wound the same direction, and same polarity. NO RWRP middle!

i'm putting them in a used crappy guard i have and will drop them into "bread 'n' butter" this week, probably thursday. tone reports to follow. sorry, i'm just so excited to get some one offs.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Re: had some custom strat pups made.

Clips!
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Sounds nice I like the idea for a custom set I am getting a custom creation well that is to say a set made the way I want from this guy www.copperheadpickups.com with the Alnico 5 for the bass side and Alnico2 for the treb. in the neck and middle pup and Alnico 5 in the bridge a 67 type for the neck a 59 for the mid. and slightly overwound 59 for the bridge. No RWRP
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

let me know how those work out for ya russ, sounds like a nice combo.

i put the pups in my blue strat (ole bread and butter) tonight and adjusted the heights a little, and then let er rip.

first impression is that they sound nice. i definitely like the flat poles over the stagger. there just seems to be more low end "oomph" and a better string to string balance.

i wired it up with a 500k volume pot, 250k's on the tones, and a .047 orange drop. switching is my standard; mid, mid/bridge, bridge, bridge/neck, neck; with tone controls on the neck and bridge pup.

i'm going to fiddle with pup heights tomorrow, through a real amp, but i gotta say through the pod they sounded pretty damn nice.

more to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster View Post
    let me know how those work out for ya russ, sounds like a nice combo.

i put the pups in my blue strat (ole bread and butter) tonight and adjusted the heights a little, and then let er rip.

first impression is that they sound nice. i definitely like the flat poles over the stagger. there just seems to be more low end "oomph" and a better string to string balance.

i wired it up with a 500k volume pot, 250k's on the tones, and a .047 orange drop. switching is my standard; mid, mid/bridge, bridge, bridge/neck, neck; with tone controls on the neck and bridge pup.

i'm going to fiddle with pup heights tomorrow, through a real amp, but i gotta say through the pod they sounded pretty damn nice.

more to follow.
    congrats should work out fine for you , I like staggard pups myself the look and sound is more what I consider the way to go but I use starts with 7.25 rad and sometimes do use a wound G. Next time I buy a box of strings I will get wound Gs again. And I will let you know how my new set of copperheads turns out. The one 59 I got back a while is great. The RUSS Specials, LOL should be here in a week or so , he wound them Sat., sending them Monday , Good service ,I ordered them Thursday and told him no rush.

I've never been a fan of the non staggered pole pieces, post a sound clip or something and change my mind!! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

tone report:

i played them all last night at rehersal. nice low end, smooth mid range, and some might call it "attenuated" highs, but i just call it not too bright. i'm remembering why i have a strat, not that i don't like my hamels, but those are different beasts. these flat poles sound a little tougher, which is a good thing in my mind.

still have to plug them into the marshall, but through the ampeg they sounded awesome. plenty of sparkle!

now, i need to do some clips.

Hi Chuck, got my custom copperheads in they worked out great the neck sounds just as it should like a 67 only a bit smoother the middle has something special going on, many many tones out of it with slightest volume and tone control adjustments ,back off the volume and its gets very quacky almost like being in #2 lots of harmonics, I like em! nice to be able to get custom ordered stuff that works, oh the bridge pup lots of twang .

that's great man! nothing better than getting some great tones out of your gear. i'd have to say that my bridge doesn't twang, but is still bright, with some balls (or hair if you care...LOL!) to it.

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    Clips!
    +1

i know... i'll see what i can do.

Chucko,

Sounds cool! I have been entertaining the idea of a custom wound set myself.. We need clips man clips!!