Thread: New Gear!!!!

New Gear!!!!

Er... ok ok... NOS at best.

I got this brand new from a dealer in the US. But it's NOS. It's dated before 2003. Tell tale signs: PAF Pro pickups, and non-compensated nut.

But this thing plays... like my strats!!! Which is good! It feels better because the body is smaller, and more comfortable. The neck is like a slightly thicker version of a 62 C.

All in all, it's not bad. The middle pup uses their "silent circuit" technology, which, I think, isn't as silent as I'd like it to be... Damn. even my kinmans are quieter... whahaha... Maybe this one is old, and the wiring might be a bit corroded. I dunno. The neck came with a lot of grime whihc needs to be cleaned off, but the fretwear is 0%. So that's odd. I wonder how this guitar had been played for so long, but there's very little or no fretwear, but the neck is so dirty.

Luckily it's unfinished, meaning it can be restored easily.

The white has aged quite a bit, as you can see... But no dings, scratches or cracks.

P.S. This one comes with a piezo. I wanted to convert this into an SSH model, but I can't find a pickguard for this which has SSH, and accomodates a piezo. It's a 24 fret. Not the 22 fret Silhouette special. That one is easy to get...

Re: New Gear!!!!

nice score!

on the pickguard i think you'll have to "roll your own."
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Nice. I know a guy who has one, and he gets some great sounds.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

great looking guitar!

Always liked the MM Silhouettes...unfortunately for me, the way they're built makes all MMs feel 'cramped' to me - the bridge is way further down the body than most guitars, so it feels too small.
    The way the necks are finished lets them - means they get gunked up pretty quickly. I used to sell them, had a couple occasions where the buyer would come back only a couple weeks later, and the neck would be dark with...whatever.
    It's nothing to worry about, and the only way to clean it would be to sand it and re-finish it.
    Oddly, the basses don't seem to have the same problem with neck gunk.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

For neck gunk try the Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes. They'll keep that neck feeling like new, er NOS.
    "Live long and prosper."
    http://www.soundclick.com/spudman

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Always liked the MM Silhouettes...unfortunately for me, the way they're built makes all MMs feel 'cramped' to me - the bridge is way further down the body than most guitars, so it feels too small.
    The way the necks are finished lets them - means they get gunked up pretty quickly. I used to sell them, had a couple occasions where the buyer would come back only a couple weeks later, and the neck would be dark with...whatever.
    It's nothing to worry about, and the only way to clean it would be to sand it and re-finish it.
    Oddly, the basses don't seem to have the same problem with neck gunk.
    Thanks for the info!!! I'll need it more than ever now that I've got another one!!!

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    Thanks for the info!!! I'll need it more than ever now that I've got another one!!!
    Sorry...hadn't noticed your gear list at the bottom there
    Speaking for myself, i don't mind the dark neck on the MMs, and I love the feel of the necks...I sold them and that was the complaint I heard though.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post

Sorry...hadn't noticed your gear list at the bottom there
    Speaking for myself, i don't mind the dark neck on the MMs, and I love the feel of the necks...I sold them and that was the complaint I heard though.
    No, I know exactly what your'e saying. I'm actually contemplating spraying a thin satin finishing over the necks to protect them...

Not sure how that'll work out.