Thread: Custom Classic Strat - Modern Classic Pickup Height?

Custom Classic Strat - Modern Classic Pickup Height?

Hi, I just bought a CS Custom Classic Strat. I bought it online and it came of course with the Custom Shop’s set up. All three pickups’ height looked way off on the bass side, about a half inch too low. They were so low, the pickup covers were almost even with the pickguard. The treble sides seemed to be adjusted to a normal “starting” height. I thought how could this have passed Fender’s quality control. Before I plugged the guitar in to test out I raised the bass side of the pickups, eyeballing them to almost match the height of the treble sides. Well guess what. The tone sounded like sh*t through my high gain Marshall and didn’t sound all that great on my Twin Reverb either. I thought “What gives?” Then I thought maybe the pickups were adjusted correctly at the Custom Shop. So I searched the net for some pictures of these guitars and found sure enough that they are adjusted that way. OK, so now I know I messed up. I go to Fender’s website looking for Modern Classic Pickup Height specs and don’t find any. The specs they give are for Noiseless, Texas Specials, Vintage Style, Am/Mex Std, Humbuckers, and Lace. None of the specs for any of those pickups shows a bass side so low as the Modern Classic Pickups are when they leave the Custom Shop. Does anybody in the forum have height adjustment specs that they can share for the Modern Classic Pickups? I know I need to “adjust to ear” but I would like to start at the factory starting point. Here's a "before" picture, before I ...............

Thanks

The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

Forum Member

Re: Custom Classic Strat - Modern Classic Pickup Height?

10 out of 10.......One of the finest Ive ever seen......I want one.....

Thanks f1 for the compliment. Here are some more pics. I just want to get the pickups back to factory spec'd adjustment. I guess I'll have to use the pics and estimate.............

The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5er Driver View Post
    I guess I'll have to use the pics and estimate.............
    Or use your ears and listen? (No disrespect meant, but when it comes to getting the best sound out of your guitar, your ears are better than your eyes)
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

LoveBandit

Very purrrrrrdy axe....

LB

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Or use your ears and listen? (No disrespect meant, but when it comes to getting the best sound out of your guitar, your ears are better than your eyes)

+1.... Nice guitar!

As has been said, set them close to what they were originally and then let your ear make the final adjustment!

I've found my strat pickups tend to sound best very low, almost flush with the pickguard. YMMV, of course, but I'd advise starting with them very low and only raise them a bit at a time, listening carefully to what they do for you as you raise them up. You'll find the right height for them.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

You don't put salt on your food before tasting it.
    Don't adjust a guitar's pickups before hearing it.

Generally, it's good to start with the pickups low and raise them to where you like them.

Typically, the bass side will be noticeably lower than the treble side.

My pickups are set somewhat like the pics of your guitar but lower.

Fender's website and the manual that came with the guitar have setup info. Keep in mind that it's just a starting point.