Thread: throaty strat pups anyone?

Forum Member

throaty strat pups anyone?

hey everyone, i'm finally making the jump from acoustic to electric, after 5 years or so. so i don't really know that much yet, but i'm getting a strat MIM and want to upgrade the pups. i want to keep a pretty versatile setup, with a possible emphasis on classic rock/hendrix. man i love that throaty tone! i've looked throught this forum and couldn't quite find anything that satisfied me so hopefully this will help. so if you have any ideas, i'd appreciate it. thanks everyone!

Re: throaty strat pups anyone?

There are so many great pickup makers these days, & so many choices. I have an original '62 strat and the pups died over the last 4 years. One option was to rewind them, but most makers said it might not sound exactly like the originals. So I tried quite a few different pickups and ended up with the Suhr FL Standards. Slightly hotter than vintage. The outcome was that the friggin' strat screams. It sounds better than ever! These have a smooth rippin' 'throaty' sound and that beautiful strat 'bell' tone to boot. That's my 2 cents.

Most of the throatiness comes from the amp. Pickups will vary in output, clarity, and response, but the real meat comes from the tubes, transformer and speakers.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Most of the throatiness comes from the amp. Pickups will vary in output, clarity, and response, but the real meat comes from the tubes, transformer and speakers.
    Yep. Try lessening the mids a bit under moderate gain.

Classic rock/hendrix sounds like a job for Fenders CS69s or other same type after market pups.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Forum Member

hey thanks for the help guys. i'll definetly look into those. does anyone have any experience with fralin vintage hots? heard lots of good stuff about 'em

Quote Originally Posted by dashboard7 View Post
    hey thanks for the help guys. i'll definetly look into those. does anyone have any experience with fralin vintage hots? heard lots of good stuff about 'em
    They are a good pup lots of good ones out there.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!