Thread: 1st complete song to learn

Forum Member

1st complete song to learn

Finally giving in to learning a complete song theory...

I love tons of music and have been playing for a year.....So the most I know are your basic chords.....A bunch of 30 second partial tab.....Ive tried to learn just one song but just never had it in me...

..Well tonight I tried the Bb Ab Db tuning for the first time and tried a bit of Red House...Hard...Sure...But after listening and watching I think its doable in time......Im thinking the songs has a boat load of stuff that really hits my listening style....Sure it might sound bad at first but Im thinking with all that the song has to offer it will help me along to learn the other songs....Plus I dont think Id need to sing the song live in front of people..........Plus there is just tons of cover versions on the net to watch and learn from.....Im psyched..

Re: 1st complete song to learn

Grab it and roll. What you learn from one song eases the pain of the next, and so on. Good luck and don't stop, your goal is set, just go for it.

You can do it!
    POO DAT!!!

Keep plugging away,and everything get's better and better------best of luck to you!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Keep working at it and don't sweat playing it note for note.

Red House is an improvised jam. Hendrix played it different everytime.

The value in learning a song like Red House is to add a style and some licks to your vocabulary.

It's kind of like learning to write in cursive as a child. They make you do it absolutely correctly and then you can make it your own as you get better at it.

Forum Member

One thing I've learned is to start off with songs you can actually play. For instance, if I start learning an AC/DC song or something simple like that, I love it. However, if I try to learn some stupid fast and technical Brad Paisley solo, I just get frustrated and I get nowhere.

You have to crawl before you can walk! Even Brad Paisley and Jeff Beck had to start somewhere.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

Forum Member

Thought the same about choosing an easier song.....But Im only gonna work with each lick at a time..Or smaller part....Then keep repeating until I can follow through numerous times.......

Im bored with most songs..Tried the easy into ones and just became sick to even hear them anymore...My GF.....""Arrrre yooooouuu playing that again...Learn something elssse""....Hate the chord playing switch when singing...I think Red House really has something that is working ....kinda early into it though......I like guitar playing to take me somewhere.....I like RH because the licks seem to climb for a bit and/or drop for a bit and scream during the flight....RH Im figuring I can improvise for a different sound I might find or need as a temp sub part........

Today I was playing/cheating on my acoustic downstairs....Instead of bending the strings for parts I worked in the slide.............Kinda cool.....Plus my acoustic with 11z I dont beat her.....I love that girl......

Well gonna go pluck for an hour.................Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by f1rocco View Post
    Thought the same about choosing an easier song.....But Im only gonna work with each lick at a time..Or smaller part....Then keep repeating until I can follow through numerous times.......

Im bored with most songs..Tried the easy into ones and just became sick to even hear them anymore...My GF.....""Arrrre yooooouuu playing that again...Learn something elssse""....Hate the chord playing switch when singing...I think Red House really has something that is working ....kinda early into it though......I like guitar playing to take me somewhere.....I like RH because the licks seem to climb for a bit and/or drop for a bit and scream during the flight....RH Im figuring I can improvise for a different sound I might find or need as a temp sub part........

Today I was playing/cheating on my acoustic downstairs....Instead of bending the strings for parts I worked in the slide.............Kinda cool.....Plus my acoustic with 11z I dont beat her.....I love that girl......

Well gonna go pluck for an hour.................Thanks
    I didn't mean don't try hard stuff. You won't grow as a guitarist unless you continually challenge yourself. Just make it manageable and you'll end up much less frustrated.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

its through these challenges that you'll find new interests in guitar and music in general as well. There's nothing like learning a song backwards and forwards to give new meaning to sometimes entire genres of music...

You've inspired me to go back and learn a lot of the songs I passed over earlier in my playing. I've gotten into a rut where all i play are originals, which while creative and stimulating doesn't always add to a guitarist's repetoire as much as learning some tricks from guitarists who are older and wiser (and better).

Any song has value, I don't care if one likes the tune or not you will learn something. Keep plugging away it will come to you!