Thread: Fender Pups Being Returned

Forum Member

Fender Pups Being Returned

Went to install my new 57/62z and the bases have not been tapped for screws...........So I take them back to the House of Guitars and they say "Wow....Never seen that before"...I then ask if they can have their luthier look at it...."Nope...not here today".....I stand around for a few more minutes..They then say...."You all set".....Uuuummm no....They say come back tomorrow.......Now my Strat will sit a little longer......

So here is the deal......

Drive back to the HOG in another blizzard like I did today......Then have someone tap the holes................

Or........
    Send a nifty email to Fender asking to have them fixed and tested and me given the results.........And just maybe they might throw something in.....Hhhmmmmmmmmmmm

Re: Fender Pups Being Returned

Quote Originally Posted by f1rocco View Post
    "Wow....Never seen that before
    That's excatly what the farmer said when his cow died!
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

IF they are 6/32 screw, you can go purchase a tap for less than $10, not a tough job

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    IF they are 6/32 screw, you can go purchase a tap for less than $10, not a tough job
    Not sure I trust the pups now....Who knows what else they forgot to do or check.......

**EDIT**..I havent soddered them yet so they are clean to ship back

They don't need to be tapped. In fact, they're not usually tapped.

The screws will start on their own without damaging the pickups.

If you decide to tap them, just run a tap partially through. The fiber base becomes weak from cut threads (the screws will compress the material to thread it rather than cutting it and removing material).

Just install them.

Forum Member

I placed the pup on a flat surface and tried to start the screws....Not happening...The pups screw base started to bulge by the pressure I was using.....Not much but enough for me to say...POS

I wont tap a thing for $120 spent on Fender Pups...If its something Im supposed to do then provide a tap or list it on the directions somewhere after the Spanish version of their Fact sheet....

They can fix them or The HOG can ......If the service I get from either place is shaky.....Well no more business for them from me.........Im an azz when it comes to Customer Service...

I've never seen them tapped either.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

I tried one more time to do it No Go.....Might email Fender with a suggestion....Howabout 1 $.01 self tapping screw to the exact thread per $120 sale..................

....Im an electrician and pretty good auto mechanic and just see this as way too risky for the average person to wanna deal with...........1 quick slip with a screw driver and byebye windings....Tap at and angle an get a pup that raises twisted or jams....

Dunno....Im just ticked that I cut into my new gat to do this and couldnt.....Now due to crappy cold and snow and no luthier at the shop my motivation to get a tap and do it myself is now put off

Sounds like the holes are undersize. Pickups mounting screws should start fine.
    I'd just pick up a cheap 6-32 tap at Home Depot.

Forum Member

Just for the heck of it....

I emailed Fender to see if they could tap and check these out to make sure they are up to par and be tested......Within 20 minutes of my polite email....

Mr Krause responds.....

Thanks for writing in. We’re sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your pickups. If you would like to have them evaluated, please send them to the following address, along with a copy of the receipt

My joking self then replies...

PS....Is Abigail Ybarra still working there to check these out....Just Kidding....Abigail is a legend to us Fender people...

Next response from Mr Krause

She still works for Fender, just not doing the actual windings anymore. I’ll check them out for you and let you know the outcome

Now this is some fast fantastic service.....Im all better now.....

Where do you live in Rochester? I can install them for you. Or, you can call the HOG and ask for Dick Robinson. He's the man and can get you going in no time.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Im located on the Eastside......

The DMZ...I like to call it.....Actually its Webster Ave and Parcels St... Not too prime real state.

Thanks for the offer to install these......Ive got enough guitars(forNow) and an extra Strat..Im also waiting for a couple 50's pickguards so Im just gonna have Fender look at them.......Also debating on an S1 switch and need to buy shielding material....So by the time Fender is done with my pups I should have the rest ready to go......

Actually interested in seeing how Fenders warranty service is....Thanks again though

Oh and on a side note....I took the pups that were in my strat and went to install them in my other 87 strat and the screws wouldnt stay threaded with the spring style leveler bushings for the pups.....

Everything I touched yesterday and everything I bought turned out to be a bust..

Cool, I'm in Victor, but I used to live on Avenue A West. I figure I can handle the neigborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by f1rocco View Post
    Everything I touched yesterday and everything I bought turned out to be a bust..
    That's when I decide to take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    This ain't rocket science. Ream the hole a little with a jeweler's screwdriver and thread the screw in. Fender pickups aren't tapped.
    That makes sense now that you point it out, not threading the hole prevents the screws from vibrating loose in a 'tapped' hole.
    A "nylock nut" in an odd sort of way - providing both proper tension and adjustability.

Brilliant!

Forum Member

I have just mounted my 57/62 set. I just expanded the holes a little bit with an awl, and then the screws fitted perfectly.

You can do it F1!

Just give it your awl!

(put your hole self into it!)

(nice thread, eh?)

It's a thread thread.

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    I expected a pic of Porter Wagner.

Geez Louise - I get my pups hand wound for what you paid for whatever Fender pups you bought - man alive - even if you were scared of damaging the windings - start 'em fron the back - get 'em through - then thread 'em in from the front - I've used whatever I've had to hand that was close when I wanted to get the job done

Rob, what kind of pups are you using? Bare Knuckle? I think they're from round your way.

Tommy.

Forum Member

I could have done them myself for sure.........Didnt want to....And Fender offered to look them over......If my local guitar shop would have just said they all come like this I wouldnt have got my panties in a bunch.....But instead they say...Wow never seen anything like this before....So I got worked up.....

At 10+ guitars I can wait...No biggie...

So instead I rewired my other strat and shielded it but had to go with bigger screws in the base of the pups I just took out.... They unscrewed fine outta the other guitar and threaded fine but then just dropped out...Looks like the previous owner used a dab of glue to help grab more threads.....Luckily its my Classic Beater Strat.....Oh and it sounds supa great.....Went with one solid sheet of copper for shielding....Each time you layer over you lose ground strength.....

Forum Member

It Paid Off....Note from Fender

Hey Jason,

Thanks for sending in the pickups. Those holes are pretty small, but I found out why. They have to be tight so the pickups don’t wobble around. Getting them started is the hardest part. However, the first thing I did was test your pickups with an ohm meter. I noticed one was completely dead. I’m not sure if you noticed that or not. In any case, I’m going to order a new set from the factory, and have them sent directly to me for inspection. Once they get my approval, I’ll send them back to you. If you have any further questions, let me know.

-------------------------------------------------------

COOLLLLLLLLLLLL...... I had no clue either that one was bad.....

Forum Member

Sorrryyyy....Should have edited it shorter.....

Fender found that one of my pups were NFG......So I am so happy I didnt soder these.....I get new Fender double tested pups now..Well in a week or less.........

And my other strat I put the old pups in....Well that beater has never sounded so good and has helped getting me playing more....