Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you blast or are you mic'ed?

Do you blast or are you mic'ed?

I was just wondering, how many of you "gigging" musicians actually mic all amps and instruments, even when playing small rooms for minimal ($250. or less) money.
    I have a four piece (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) and in small rooms, we just put vocals through the P.A.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Cool thread.

I always have my amp off to my right pointing across the stage, not pointing out front.

I mic a 1/12 in small rooms/small stages.

I mic a 2/12 in medium & large rooms & also out doors.

If a place is real small and volume is a big issue I will use my 2/12 and point it out front "without" a mic and just have vocals and a little kick in the mains.

Greg:wail2

Forum Member
    Great answer.

Running a side-wash not only eliminates a complicated monitor mix, but every soundman will be your best friend.

When I play real small clubs without a someone out front, I like to point my amp toward my vocal mike. It's not a huge boost...but add a bit of presence to the mix, and being that it's pointing towards the ceiling it doesn't blow the heads off the dancers.

Forum Member
    I most always use my POD with no amplifier. If I play bass, I use my SansAmp BassDI. Sound guys LOVE ME. :)

I was in a club last week to check out the competition, and the band was mic'ed through the house P.A. The band had drums, bass, vocals, and lead and rhythm guitars. Both guitarists had 100 watt Boogie or Marshall heads set for "stun scooped distortion" (to go with the "pointed shred machine guitars) through a 4-12 cab each. Both guitarists had to use additional Peavey practice amps as guitar monitors out front pointed back because their mic'ed 4-12 cab were set at such a low volume, they couldn't be heard over the drums on stage. My band played the same club three days later and I took my 60 watt Fender combo and a pair of Strats. I setup, dialed in a healthy amount of overdrive, and we soundchecked and set the levels. The same soundman came out and thanked me for being sensible. Anyway, the sound had to be re-eq'ed because I didn't need all the bottom end that he had to put in from the big amps being barely turned on. We played all night without the horrible feedback problems that the other band endured. The point of this rant? Sometimes smaller is better!!!

Forum Member
    Now this is a good thread! I've recently paired down my rig from Twins to DRRI and a Pro Jr. So needless to say its all miked up. If its a small place, I don't bother to mike and I'll sometimes just use one amp pointed at my vocal mike. This works quite well. I'm from the "old school" of serious stage volume and I can't get my head around the "side wash" idea, but I'm sure going to give it a go. By the way, how many of you guys carry your own sound system? We've just been renting for the past several years (unless the club has one). We should discuss the pros and cons of this. Our guys are split on the issue.

I use a 2X12 boogie maverick (35 watt) I mike it with an Audio Techica AE300, andd It sounds awesome.

Forum Member
    Cottage.....If you play large stages, try the side wash. In the summer we play alot of fair type venues. On those battleship size stages, the side wash is the way to go. We don't have an hour, like the big guys, to do sound check. With everything pointed towards the center of the stage, you get a great stage mix without cluttering up the monitor mix. Our drummer is a clubber and a body builder, so there is always "serious stage volume"..... We played a festival 2 years ago. The house guy running the monitors told us we were louder than Blue Oyster Cult, who had played the same stage the night before. And we play top 40 country.

As far as renting or owning PA gear...I prefer renting. We consider our sound man another piece of the band and he has the gear. He sets up, runs it and tears it down. (The older you get the better THATsounds) Any awards we revieve are shared with him... Whenever the "band" has collectively bought the gear, it seems evil things have happened to the band . I'm sure it works for alot of people, but I had too much of the..I'm quitting and taking MY part of the PA..or I want you guys to buy me out. It has always worked better for me if one guy owns the gear. I prefer to take a little out of my pocket, and concentrate on playing music rather than dealing with owning a PA.... We've had the same disscusion. and we're still renting......

Forum Member
    Originally posted by DWeber
    Cottage.....If you play large stages, try the side wash. In the summer we play alot of fair type venues. On those battleship size stages, the side wash is the way to go. We don't have an hour, like the big guys, to do sound check. With everything pointed towards the center of the stage, you get a great stage mix without cluttering up the monitor mix. Our drummer is a clubber and a body builder, so there is always "serious stage volume"..... We played a festival 2 years ago. The house guy running the monitors told us we were louder than Blue Oyster Cult, who had played the same stage the night before. And we play top 40 country.

As far as renting or owning PA gear...I prefer renting. We consider our sound man another piece of the band and he has the gear. He sets up, runs it and tears it down. (The older you get the better THATsounds) Any awards we revieve are shared with him... Whenever the "band" has collectively bought the gear, it seems evil things have happened to the band . I'm sure it works for alot of people, but I had too much of the..I'm quitting and taking MY part of the PA..or I want you guys to buy me out. It has always worked better for me if one guy owns the gear. I prefer to take a little out of my pocket, and concentrate on playing music rather than dealing with owning a PA.... We've had the same disscusion. and we're still renting......
    I hear ya brother, I'm all for renting. We don't play as often as we did, so it just don't make sense. I'm gonna definately use the sidewash idea. We did a couple of blues festivals last year and nearly everybody was doing some variation.

TFF Stage Crew
    I've been following this thread with much interest.

Since my current band has been gigging (1 year anniversary today!), we've always used a sound man who miked my Blues Deluxe. He too was of the school that only places vocals and maybe a touch of keyboard into the wedge monitors, which I like.

Our stage volume has always been really nice for us. However, in the last few months I started getting braver with my wireless and wandering out front during one or two songs a night, and I was disappointed with what I heard in the FOH mix. At one club, I found that when I went toward the bar, the guitar disappeared completely from the mix--meaning to me that he was basing his assessment on my amp itself, which was always behind me and pointed at my head (and thus pointed toward the sound man too--further back in the clubs).

Finally, at a gig we were really happy to land at an upscale nightclub in the newest Hilton in town, the "assistant sound man" (main sound man couldn't make that gig) was having all kinds of problems because my BDx was actually overpowering the room--which by the way was HUGE.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when he apparently got snippy with the management over sound levels--telling them the band refused to comply--and accordingly we weren't asked back.

We fired the sound guy.

And I bought $2000 worth of sound gear. I'm a little terrified, because our first gig with it is today--a wedding. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I guess I'll be using that wireless to its fullest now to keep checking the sound out front.

My point from this ridiculously long entry is that, I am now convinced that sidewash is probably the answer for me. It'll allow a more balanced mix to be sent to the FOH I think. I'll let you know.

Forum Member
    We just crank the amps up and mic the drums (and of course vocals).

We *are* pretty loud, but the punters always like it, so the landlords rarely complain

Do you blast or are you mic'ed?
    Both! ;) My stage volume is relatively reasonable (in my opinion. Former bandmates might disagree) and I always have a mic on the cab, even in smaller rooms. My theory is that the mic is there if needed, and the soundman can bring as much or as little guitar into the PA as needed. There are times when early in the evening the stage sound might be sufficient, but as the room fills you might need a bit more in the PA. A typical scenario would be a club with a low stage with the dancefloor in front. As the dancefloor fills with moving bodies, a lot of the stage sound will be killed out front.
    Typically for a smaller stage I'm using either a 4x10" or 2x12" open-back combo that I keep behind me but tilted back. On a larger stage or outdoors I like to bring it up close to earlevel, and pointing straight ahead.
    I've used the side wash approach and it works well if everyone in the frontline is cooperative. :tw59

Forum Member
    In the '90's I ran a deluxe reverb on 10 with it's back facing the crowd at an angle so the sound coming from the front would bounce off the back ceiling and smack people in the head.
    A great way to cut through the mix.
    It would only work in certian clubs.
    SRV sometimes would lay his amp flat on the stage facing straight up for the same effect.
    It pays to expierment.

re:blast or miked

ever try a power soak ?or use a direct box after the amplifier head into the direct box then plug it innto the power soak if you got a great sounding aamplifier that you like cranked you can close up mike the front or back of the cabinet depending on if you got a open or closed back cabinet amp setup on open back fenders i like to mike from the back and use a direct box
    the power soak really helps out by loading up the amp for the maximum gain i like it works
    ever try to turn ther closed cabinet marshall type ones basckwards facing the wall like 2/3 feet off wall and mike it with a boom mike you can experiment if you dont like load boxes or powersoaks
    just some ideas !

Since starting this thread, I have become the Lead Guitarist, Lead Vocalist, Soundman, and Psychiatrist of a "trio". We have been playing well and gigging regularly, but I feel like maybe we should be sounding better. We have a LOUD drummer, and the guitars and bass have to turn up accordingly. We have never "mic-ed" anything but vocals because the drums make us crank up the amps. I have been taking out a small Behringher mixer (I only need 2 vocal inputs), but, I have a 16 channel board and snake, two 800 watt stereo power amps, signal processors, and two bi-ampable 2-15 cabs w/horns. We have 4 wedge vocal monitors that work great for us. I shouldn't complain because our setup is easy, simple, and very portable. I have been leaving the big cabs at home and using two 1-12 cabs with tweeters on stands for vocals. I guess without a sound man, this is enough??? ....or is it??? Splitting the money 3 ways has been great!!!

try somethin somedat concert 10

he bro i got a kool idea that i love using which doesnt even need a mike
    in the old days 10 yrs ago i used a small custom made peavt direct box ...mine was custom made for me and my idea i neede at the time
    i got a peavy 4 ohm direct box with a adjustable trim to add highs / lows frequency to my sound goin to the board
    i use this box
    #1 coming from my main amp out put i plug directly into this little input on box then i send the out put of this box to my spkr cabinet then i hoojk a microphone xlr balanced cord to the direct box dial in my amp tone and bingo !!
    it works great
    peavy makes these boxes in 4 - 8 ohm so specifiy what spkr cabineets you are using bro
    i think i paid 40- 50 bucks 10 yrs ago for mine i had to have it custom made at the time because plus i knew this friend rick who used to work for peavy at that time
    so i needed to adjust the direct box according to the venue i was playin because my old band seemd to always play very large venues etc i had a country band we did alot of big gigs back then
    i needed this box adjustable so i could pick twang country styles etc and steel guitar leads etc i was just a lead guitarist
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

direct box again

i forgot to tell you the best part of this little gizmo box
    after a gig you can unplug it and put it in your compartment in your guitar case ready for the next gig \
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

I just responded to this and for some reason, it didn't show up....
    Anyway the basic shizzy of what I said was.......

Thanks for the tip. I have a couple of Carvin passive direct boxes that I would use between the direct out (my choice of Marshall or Mesa or Fender Concert II) of my amps and the mixing board. I hope that will accomplish the same thing.
    I gave up on putting the drums through the P.A. The drummer uses a (LOUD!!!) custom oversized Ludwig kit from the mid 70's. He is even loud on the practice kit I have in my basement for rehearsals. Everytime I try to mic him, I end up turning him off (and giving up) because of his volume is higher than the maximum volume you need to be able to turn him down. Basically, our stage volume fills the clubs we play. It would be nice to have some guitar and bass in the mains, but we have been stuck doing it the prehistoric way. I guess the good side of this is the simple setup we have, but I would like better control of the sound. I think I will add guitar and bass through the mains anyway.....

Anyone that wants to offer their 2 cents on this is welcome....

to concert 4x10

hi i like the direct box approach because it works for me
    my direct box is totally passive it doesnt color any of my amplifiers sound on stage i can adjust the trim i call it frequencys because some venues or the larger stages i play on have different timbres
    i also will say that my peavy direct box is a very good alternative to me just miking my amplifier and hoping on getting my same sound feedback and swells as i play
    at least with my direct box unlike my shure mikes i dont have any false sounds going to the board or sounds spf like mikrophones do
    its all a personal choice buti hope maybe my idea can help someone out

one last thing
    i also got a real tube direct box for my 2nd amp setup if i need to really warm up my mix out to the tapedeck or audience
    i use the tube direct box on mainly me 2nd amp its my wet amplifier i use it for my solos etc

i6ts all up to you my fellow musician
    good luck
    lou
    write back
    guitarnoise2002@hotmail.com
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

After seeing a band last weeknd play a (VERY) small bar with two guitarists (Les Paul/Marshall JTM45/4-12 cab and Strat/Hot Rod Deville 4-10) I have seen the light. The Deville sounded good but because the amp was on the floor and the guitar player was in a dark corner, I didn't know he was there for the entire first set. I heard/saw him while on my first trip to make room for a beer. I had been sitting in front of the Marshall. When I went over (literally two barstool away) to get a beer, I could no longer hear the Marshall so there was a drums, bass, and two singers, with a "noise" way in the background. This is what you heard through most of the bar. Both guitar players were very close to their amps and probably thought they were LOUD.
    Yup, after that, I will make sure I get through the P.A.

My band plays various-sized rooms, and we all go direct to the board, no matter what, no matter where. We have a tri-amped system that we use no matter what, no matter where. The only thing that is actually mic'd in our band, besides the vocals, naturally, is the high-hat on our drummer's otherwise-fully electronic drum set.

I use an H&K Red Box Pro to get the output of my power amp to the board, and everyone else in the band goes direct through some form of direct box as well. I can have my rig just raging, and that's what the board 'hears', yet I use an attenuator for my onstage speaker to keep things tolerable.

Once we got used to being able to carry on a basically normal conversation on-stage, there's no way we could go back to 'blasting', no matter what the size of the club.

Thanks for the tips. Getting everything through the P.A. is a definite priority. I don't really want to use mics if I can help it. My amps have decent direct outs so I will use them. I still can't seem to get message to our drummer. Does anyone run "full range" or use the internal crossovers in the P.A. cabs? I have cabs with two 15's and the input option of "Hi","Low", or "Full Range". Remember, for the most part, I am running my own sound from the stage so I don't want to get too complicated.

miked or direct to concert 410

hi i think using a direct box saves your mike #1 and #2 it gets a truer amp sound if you dgot a decent set of direct boxes like i do then i let the sound man worry about the mix and sound system lmao i dont get paid enough to ruin accidently drop or blow a good mike in my opinion my direct doxes are totally passive they do not color alter my sound at all i love em
    i do sometimes use a mikrophone and a direct box i hide in behind my rig to get a wetter more powerful unique mix i ususally play out that way
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Good point about the mics. I should already have decent enough stuff to do this with out putting more money out. I sometimes use the Direct outs on my amp to slave another amp (solid state) and the sound comes out great. There is no reason it shouldn't work to the board.

to concert 410

hi bro all i was tryin to do was pass helpful ideas along thats what makes musicians a brotherhood
    keep kool keep jammin if i can help please ask away bro
    good luck
    lou
    write back sometime
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 08-06-2003 at 07:34 PM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

to monifico

what type of attenuator do you use i am currently looking to build one i am stumped i need advice !
    much thanx
    lou
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Originally posted by LOU
    what type of attenuator do you use i am currently looking to build one
    I wouldn't bother. I've been using a Rockman Power Soak since 1982. Works fabulous. They go for well under $100 on ebay all the time. Buy one, take it apart and retouch all the solder joints, spray contact cleaner into all the switches and jacks, put it back together, and go rock. I also put some rubber feet on the enclosure so it will clear the amp/speaker carrying handle on my stuff.

I also own a THD Hot Plate, but after back-to-back onstage tests with my band, they DO NOT sound any different, and the Rockman is much cheaper. I also like it because it has more steps in the reduction switch.

Good luck~
    Last edited by Dr. Vintage; 08-06-2003 at 08:00 PM.

to concert 410 attn rick

i want a rockman powersoak
    can you hook me up with one i will gladly buy it from you
    keep a eye out for me bro i cant get e bay on my comp for some reason what classifieds do you look under on ebay site ?

thanks lou
    IF 6OU CAN ORDER IT I WILL PAY YOU FOR IT ON E BAY BRO MUCH THANKS AND YES I AM GOOD OR MY WORD

JUST CONTACT ME OK
    I WILL SERIOUSLY PAY YOU WHO KNOS WHAT I AM LOOKIN FOR
    SINCERELY LOU
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR TIME
    Last edited by BLUELOU; 08-06-2003 at 08:03 PM.
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Forum Member
    I blast. I use a 70 deluxe reverb, a 70 vibrolux reverb and a 66 pro reverb. I choose my amp for the room. Most sound guys are douche bags and don't deserve one cent of the money bands waste on them. I don't trust some no playin motherfuck#r with my tone. At festivals i am left with no choice but to let these fools mic my amp, but life isn't fair.

Originally posted by greentone
    Most sound guys are douche bags and don't deserve one cent of the money bands waste on them.
    Too bad you feel that way. Our sound guy is fabulous. He's a guitarist in his own right, plays in a working band himself, and also runs a fairly busy studio. We're pretty damn lucky to have this guy. I play wireless, so I walk back to the board during sound check, and he lets me EQ myself so that I'm happy with my sound, and then he doesn't f*ck with it. Maybe your bad attitude about sound guys is why only the bad ones want to work with you. :tw59

TFF Stage Crew
    Well, sure. You let your bass player's kid brother run sound so he can sneak into the bar, then pay him in beer, you're gonna have problems.

Or something along those lines...

You hire somebody with some actual knowlege of EQ and mic techniques, and it's worth every single dime. I run sound for our band from stage, and I HATE it. I'm only doing it this way right now to pay off the sound gear I bought.

I've worked with some great sound-engineers over the years, and every one of them has been a blessing. I've also worked with the "kid-brother" type, and it only makes me appreciate the good ones more. You get what you pay for, greentone.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Originally posted by Jack w/his radar
    Well, sure. You let your bass player's kid brother run sound so he can sneak into the bar, then pay him in beer, you're gonna have problems.

Or something along those lines...

You hire somebody with some actual knowlege of EQ and mic techniques, and it's worth every single dime. I run sound for our band from stage, and I HATE it. I'm only doing it this way right now to pay off the sound gear I bought.

I've worked with some great sound-engineers over the years, and every one of them has been a blessing. I've also worked with the "kid-brother" type, and it only makes me appreciate the good ones more. You get what you pay for, greentone.
    Good points. I love gigs with pro sound companies. Show up, through your guitar rig onstage. Then they take it from there. I run sound in my band also when we suply the pa. It's a bitch but our systom is dialed in pretty good. I would rather just have to think about guitar and singing though and not have to wory about the mix.

Greg

TO CONCERT 410

CAN YOU GET ME A SCHOLTZ POWER SOAK I WILL GLADLY PAY YOU I USE ONE IN MY RACK FORMY MAIN DRIVING AMP I WANT ANOTHER ONE BUT I DONT SEE THEM ON E BAY ANYMORE
    CAN YOU HELP ME I AM A HONEST PERSON PLEASE FELLOW BROTHER MUSICIAN
    CONTACT ME AT GUITARNOISE2002@HOTMAIL.COM OR (352)683-5559 JUST CALL ME ONCE AND I WILL GIVE YOU MY INFO BRO OK ! I AM SERIOUS AND HONEST
    I WILL REALLY LIKE TO TALK TO SOMEONE ELSE USIN ONE OF THES3E EARTLY SOAKS I BOUGHT MINE A LONG TIME AGO
    I WANT ONE MORE FOR MY HOME JAM STUFF

MUCH THANKS
    LOU G ASK FOR TALL LOU LMAO
    GOD BLESS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

My band uses the blast method.
    In the start of the thread ya mention small rooms, small pay. Sure its great to have all that equipment and everything is perfect but for the smaller rooms with smaller pay....time is money and who wants to be there till 4:00 in the morning still packing equipment.
    We do our job grab our amps and run. Many positive comments from bar owners on how fast we set up and tear down.

Hey, I've been gone for a couple of weeks and this thread is still going. In the last month, because of my vacation, I have played 4 gigs. One had house P.A. (big club!!! very nice!!!) and one place (it was new for us -a country club- and we ended up setting up different than we were told) ended up being so small that I used my backup amp (Peavey Bandit 65) and only half the P.A. Needless to say, I mic'ed nothing. The other 2 gigs were $250. per night specials. The bar was small and we had to set up 10 feet from the kitchen end of the bar. I would say about 35-50 people pack the place. The bar owner and cook warned us to keep the noise levels down and the equipment out of the way of the floor. I brought a Fender Passport P.A. mains (on speaker stands of course) and a Samson 260 power amp to power 4 floor vocal monitors. We set up in 15 minutes and the whole P.A. and my guitar rig fit in my 2 door Toyota Tercel. All night long we were complimented on the sound and the mix. Go figure!!!! So far, practicality has kept me "blasting".

Forum Member
    Originally posted by concert410
    I was in a club last week to check out the competition, and the band was mic'ed through the house P.A. The band had drums, bass, vocals, and lead and rhythm guitars. Both guitarists had 100 watt Boogie or Marshall heads set for "stun scooped distortion" (to go with the "pointed shred machine guitars) through a 4-12 cab each. Both guitarists had to use additional Peavey practice amps as guitar monitors out front pointed back because their mic'ed 4-12 cab were set at such a low volume, they couldn't be heard over the drums on stage. My band played the same club three days later and I took my 60 watt Fender combo and a pair of Strats. I setup, dialed in a healthy amount of overdrive, and we soundchecked and set the levels. The same soundman came out and thanked me for being sensible. Anyway, the sound had to be re-eq'ed because I didn't need all the bottom end that he had to put in from the big amps being barely turned on. We played all night without the horrible feedback problems that the other band endured. The point of this rant? Sometimes smaller is better!!!
    I've always said, and I still believe it, that a smaller amp turned up will usually sound better than a big amp turned down.

For a while, I worked with a guy who had to have that half-stack speaker cab, but all his dirt came from the master volume (an abomination IMO) and it sounded like a 60s era transistor radio with a two-inch speaker getting night-time frequency drift...buzzzzzzzzz.

I use a 15-watt (probably more like 12 watt) Hullett Deluxe and I had to turn the amp sideways and use the "2" input but I got the tone.

I think a FD2 driving a smaller amp sounds better than an amp with the master cranked and the real volume on 3. Ick!

A few months down the line on this thread with a few more gigs under my belt.... The band is now down to a 3 pc. I play guitar and sing 95% of the vocals, with a non singing drummer and a bass player who sings sporatically. We carry our own P.A., book our own gigs, and play smaller rooms (50-300 people), usually for the small pay of $100.-$150. per man. I know this isn't a lot of money to some, but our band does work consistently and it is only a hobby for us all. Anyway, aside from the occassional gig with a house P.A. or an outdoor festival with a supplied soundman and P.A., we still "blast". Why? By mic-ing just vocals, we can get away with powering two smaller P.A. speakers on stands for vocals. We balance ourselves accordingly. The drummer is the only one who can't turn down past a certain level and he would have that problem anyway. "Our crowd" always says we sound best when we do our own sound. Bar/Club owners are happy that we don't take up to much time or room setting up/tearing down. Monitoring is easy for us with just vocals in the floor monitors and with the bare minimum instruments/amps onstage, we can all hear each other clearly.
    The real benefitbeside a bigger cut of the money? I can fit the entire P.A., monitoring system, and guitar rig in my Ford Explorer. With the P.A. in a prewired rack, load in and setup is a stress free 20 minutes. Load out is the same.
    Listening to a lot of the other bands that play the same clubs that we do, I have noticed that I don't play my guitar any louder (or quieter) than anyone else. A lot of bands have a big P.A. and everything is put through it. When they start playing, quickly the faders on the board come down. The end result? A lot of the time, the instruments are taken COMPLETELY or almost completely out of the P.A. Same with LOUD DRUMMERS. Oh yeah, drums are instruments also. After they pay the soundman for nothing really, what's the use?
    I have a P.A. that is 4000 watts, with huge mains and snakes and everything else. I leave most of it at home. In practice, we probably use 400 watts and we can still plaster everyone against the back wall if we want to.
    Just wondering if I am looking at this all wrong....
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member
    I think you're looking at things just fine. Right now, I work in a band with the huge PA..huge light show,(all rented) and it's getting harder and harder to find clubs that can support that kind show. It seems the only guys working steady are the 3 or 4 piece bands in smaller clubs with a small PA.

It's great to play the show-band thing...but...I have just as much fun(and that's what it's all about eh?) playing the small clubs with a minimum of gear. And at the end of the night there does seems to be a bit more money to go around.

I pay more attention with the small PA...blast stuation.. instead of relying on a sound guy to mix.
    I'm sure alot of you guys went through the big guitar rig phase, 4 OD's..2 distortions..2 delays..phaser. flanger, chourus,etc. dicking with batteries or funky power sources, set up time, space....and Heaven forbid the cable or a switch in the 19 pedal chain goes south. I'm happy now with a guitar, amp, and two pedals. My point is....If your making good music..the crowds are happy..the club owners are asking you back..your making a little extra dough..not spending hours setting up or breaking your back, your one step ahead....

So there are more gigging musicians who see it as I do. We get the job done with minimal (but decent) equipment, everyone is happy and we move on.
    Thanks to everyone who has given me advice on how use direct boxes and all. When we play bigger clubs/bars, I do use the tips you have given me. Most of the time, the place is too small to worry about it.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Re: Do you blast or are you mic'ed?

As you can see by my new thread, I am making the jump to a better, more controllable setup. Really small places will still be blasted.....