Thread: Replacing Lace Sensors

Forum Member

Replacing Lace Sensors

My 94 Strat plus still has the original Gold Lace pups. I'm considering replacing these with GFS '60s, Fender 54 or Fender 57/62 pups.

I really want that classic bells and quack...This all started when I shopped for an amp. I played a strat through a DRRI at a GC and fell in love. I now own a DRRI, but am lacking a bit in tone range with the lace sensors, and want a more traditional sounding pup.

The strat I played was US made, 50th anniversary, and had something called Delta tone. I've looked over the postings and am confused as to whether Delta tone is a tone wiring scheme, or also refers to Fender pups.

I know the GFS pups are really popular with others on this board.

The strat plus also has the TBX tone pot wiring. When I replace the lace sensors, do I need to change a tone cap with these pups?

Also I like the idea of having tone controls for all 3 pups. Suggestions on tone control wirings? Do I need to change the pots as well? I also use the 2 & 4 positions quite a bit and like that sound..

Forum Member

Re: Replacing Lace Sensors

I replaced the Gold Lace Sensors on my Strat Plus with a set of GFS 64 Vintage Staggers. Big improvement in sound. I plan on using the Blender wiring eventually, but just wired them in exactly as the old ones were. Works fine.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I did the same. I just ordered a pre-wired pickguard and swapped the whole thing (the pre-wired guard with '64 staggers was about the same cost as a set of Fender CS pups by themselves).

I played that guitar yesterday and am still amazed at how nice it is (mine's an '88 plus) and what a difference the GFS pups made.

I think you'll be glad you did it.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone View Post
    I did the same. I just ordered a pre-wired pickguard and swapped the whole thing (the pre-wired guard with '64 staggers was about the same cost as a set of Fender CS pups by themselves).

I played that guitar yesterday and am still amazed at how nice it is (mine's an '88 plus) and what a difference the GFS pups made.

I think you'll be glad you did it.
    I think you have the best idea. I personally like keeping the stock pickups and electronics intact so if I decide to sell it, I can put it back the way it was.

The Plus was a great guitar, but it has it's own specific sound. They have a sort of cult following as they are stock, so if you sell it you can put it back stock easily.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I was also thinking about buying a new pick guard and the parts to replace as an assembly. In fact I have the list from GFS on my desk for the electrical component kit, pickguard, pups, and knobs to assemble. Was thinking I'd give the whole list to Santa and tell her to put this in my stocking so I could assemble and swap out in 1 step.

Anyone know about the components that GFS sells other than pups? IE do they use the same quality components (pots, 5 way switch, etc.) as Fender? CTS pots? I don't want to put bargain parts into a quality strat plus.....

That way if I ever decided to sell the plus, I could just swap out to get back to original, since this axe might be of value some day as original.

I'm not a collector per se, but I do have a couple of coice pieces from the 70's that have jumped in value. Just can't part with them, yet.

Wo knows they might be worth selling by my kids long after I'm gone.

They use Alpha pots, which are top notch. Their kit shows a circuit board switch. I'd prefer a CRL lever switch myself..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama