Thread: Hand vs machine wound

Hand vs machine wound

I have both hand and machine wound. but i notice the accuracy of machine products.. maybe im wrong but thats how it sounds to my ears
    Last edited by bonso; 11-27-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    Gotta have tone baby!

Re: Hand vs machine wound

Are hand wound p'ups literally wound by hand?

Doesn't Mrs. Ybarra sit at her bench, stick a spindle, with the wire started, in and let the machine wind it x number of winds?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

TFF Stage Crew

The idea behind a hand-wound pickup is that the windings are less uniform & therefore better. I'm not sure how that works. It's not like the difference between tube & solid state.

There's just some kind of magical musicality attributed to pre-1964 processes that are not computer controlled, and have more organic than uniform outcomes.

So a term like "scatter wound" might as be similarly useful in describing a pickup as Class A is in describing nearly every EL84 based amp?
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

the deal with handwound, as it was explained to me by a master winder, is that you can control the pressure and levels of winding. there is a lot of experimentation that goes into this, thus all the booteek winders. i have both types of pups, both sound great, like fezz said though you need to be able to play the damn thing to get it.

i'm not saying one is better than the other. there are a lot of differentials, "class A and el84's" like neofauve stated. but when it really comes down to it, a good pup is a good pup, and a good guitar is a good guitar.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post

So a term like "scatter wound" might as be similarly useful in describing a pickup as Class A is in describing nearly every EL84 based amp?
    Now that's a good point and funny too...

magnets play one of the biggest parts, size, and composition. and size really does matter... the pressure and layers is just the icing on the cake.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

IMO it all depends on so many factors a person can and will find different pups made to similar specs. and Blah blah I use both and have so a long time , I like hand wound as they call it these days as long as they are the same price or less than say Fender 57/62 or CS models or Duncans stuff. All that being said though the best sounding start I have owned was a stock 69 and the neck pup sounded wouderful, the mid and bridge only average . Must have been some machine magic in the neck as well as magic poly finish.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

but what if the pickups were cyrogenicly treated, then hand wound with carefully machined tollerences, only on wednesday afternoon my a one legged man named Clarence?

Those would sound better than what I have now, I'm sure
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

Gravity Jim

rudutch, do you know where I can score some of those?

'Cause I've heard that Clarence dude has got some mojo goin' on.

I need to restrain my sarcasm on Fridays

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    I need to restrain my sarcasm on Fridays
    Also on the days starting with "T". And those with "S".

And Mondays and Wednesdays are bad days for sarcasm generally.

-Mark

Forum Member

I limit my sarcasm to days ending in Y.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Here's a point - I've ranted about Hayden Minnett's 'Bulldog' brand - I've got his 'Classic T' in the bridge of my USA Std Tele and a pair of custom 'Warm PAF's in my 'Italocaster' (Tele clone made with parts manufactured in Italy and imported by Roberto Brandoni in Wembley) - I immediately loved the Classic T - it was everything I always wanted in a Tele bridge pickup - still sounds like a Tele bridge but just a little more balls and a lot less squeal - the PAF's are a lot clearer sounding than a Duncan 59'er and I specified that I wanted a slightly P90ish sound when CT-ed - he delivered exactly what I asked him for on both orders - they were a little more than Duncans at retail but I didn't mind - he's got a family to feed and delivered both orders within a week. As Fezz said - the quality of the materials is pretty paramount and Hayden doesn't skimp in any aspect.

On the other hand - my partner's son needed another replacement for his bridge pup on his USA Deluxe Tele Ash (the second in just over a yr - yup they're 'noiseless' alright!!) so he went for a 1960s Repro Hot from GFS - and that sounds damned good for the bread - if I was short of cash and wanted a good pup - I'd go to them.

If your pup guy knows what you play and exactly what you're after then IMO it's worth a few extra bucks - Hayden offers a lifetime guarantee (I know where he lives) and puts a lot of care into his work - but unless there's a certain degree of familiarity or you know exactly what you're gonna get - it's a crap shoot as to whether you'll get exactly what you want and may as well get something that you might not mind selling on if you aren't totally satisfied - I'm definitely jones'n for a set of GFS Liverpool 'Retrotron's - the clips sound cool and at the price they've got to be worth a try!!

Listen to the Mp3 of the DIY bass pickup sounds great!