Thread: GFS mean 90s vs dream 90s...

GFS mean 90s vs dream 90s...

Anyone tried both of these in order to form the basis of an opinion of how they compare? I've got the dream 90s in one guitar, and they are very nice... sweet, responsive, about halfway between a p90 and a humbucker. Definitely not a serious p90 replacement however. Which is not to say they aren't great pups, just that they are their own thing.

So I was curious about the mean 90s when they came out. Anyone had a chance to compare?

-Mark
    Last edited by Plugger; 11-19-2007 at 03:32 AM.

Re: GFS mean 90s vs dream 90s...

Yeah, I'm curious, too. I have a client right now who wants me to put a Dream 90 in the neck of his '72 RI Tele Deluxe, but he's having a hard time deciding about the bridge position. Another Dream 90? A Mean '90? Leave it stock? (I'm actually urging him to go with stock).
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

sweet, responsive, about halfway between a p90 and a humbucker.
    i agree with that statement. it doesnt really sound like either a bucker (covered or otherwise) or a "real" p-90.

pseudocat, i think your friend will dig the dream 90 in the neck spot of his tele. i have one in mine, and like it better than the other several pickups i have tried there, including PAF-type bucker, "stock" and "hot" tele s/c's, and a distortion-type bucker (yes, i shouldve known better than that, lol). i think it might be a little meatier than the fender buckers, which i never fell in love with. also, i find dream 90 (at least the chrome-covered one i have) to be pretty heavy on the bass, but with s/c bite on top. i have adapted to this and now appreciate its voice, but i expected more girth in the midrange but tighter bass when i ordered it--- you know, the typical descriptions of "soapbar". i find dream 90 to be more of an "eq-ed" soapbar sound. apologies for the descriptions, but we all know how subjective "tone" can be.
    a

Evanston IL, or Bluffton OH... which ever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocat View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious, too. I have a client right now who wants me to put a Dream 90 in the neck of his '72 RI Tele Deluxe, but he's having a hard time deciding about the bridge position. Another Dream 90? A Mean '90? Leave it stock? (I'm actually urging him to go with stock).
    Leave it stock or use a gfs hot tele pickup I say!

but then again I'm biased...
    "The other Shaltanac's joopleberry shrub is always a more mauvy shade of pinky-russet."

"there's NOTHING WRONG with a live penguin, but...I expected a hamburger!"