Thread: Barden bridge (2 extra holes)

LoveBandit

Barden bridge (2 extra holes)

http://www.guitar-parts.com/products...ele-Bridge.htm

I noticed that this custom Tele bridge has 2 small extra mounting holes in the front to "greatly reduce the microphonic problems of many Teles". Has anybody heard of this solution (or problem for that matter)?

If Barden (whose pickups kick ass as we know) is on to something here, it would be easy to drill a regular bridge to take advantage of this...Anyone?

One weird thing I noticed is that these extra 2 holes are already a standard feature on the Squier Tele Affinity series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ial?sku=515115

LB (tinkerer till I die)

Forum Member

Re: Barden bridge (2 extra holes)

Personally, I prefer that my Telecasters have some amount of microphonics. If microphonics in the bridge position are a real problem, you might try putting some foam rubber underneath the pickup.

If you were to drill holes in your bridgeplate, it would probably cause the chrome plating to peel off.

Callaham has those holes on their bridges too. I've never had that problem and don't need that solution.

Like Jim said, some microphonics in a Tele is a good thing.

Barden's bridge is also made of stainless steel, which changes the Tele's sound in other ways. I think that Barden and Vintique overbuild Teles for extremely harsh handling.

Stock Teles are already good for that.

I suspect that Fender uses those screws in Squier Teles for another reason.

So that the cheaply made bridge plate lies flat on the guitar's cheaply made body.

don nails it, if the bridge doesn't sit flat to the body then you're going to have some sustain loss. if your stock bridge doesn't seat flush, take it off, set it on something flat, and then whack it a good one with a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer. that should straighten things out just fine. just one blow though mind you.

the magic of a telecaster, IMO, is a little bit of microphony in the bridge, that's the magic. that's the snarl, bite, beauty of a tele lead pup. too much is a bad thing granted, but just enough (and you'll know when that's been attained) is what makes these guitars sound the way they do.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Barden's bridge is also made of stainless steel, which changes the Tele's sound in other ways. I think that Barden and Vintique overbuild Teles for extremely harsh handling.
    Barden's bridges are not stainless but regular, magnetic chrome plated steel, albeit thicker than the stock Fender bridgeplate. I find the Barden plates add resonance and warmth over the stock plates.

Callaham plates are stainless, like Vintique. Glendale makes bridges in serveral variants, including stainless, cold-rolled, hot-rolled, etc.
    No neck, no problem

Forum Member

I just added a Joe Barden bridge to my Roadworn/Fralin necked FrankenTele, replacing a vintage RI Fender bridge and the sonic result of doing so has been nothing but positive. I think the cheaper made Fender bridge not only didn't sit flat against the body but was not even manufactured perfectly flat. As a result, the guitar was a pain to setup and for whatever reason the setup never seemed as dialed in as it could be. Changing to the Barden bridge I had no qualms about drilling for the extra two front bridge screws since the guitar wasn't overly expensive to begin with, but now I think I'd do it every single time regardless of which Tele I was using. The guitar now sounds much more in tune, the strings all have better sustain and come across as louder and more evenly matched volume wise. There's more punch, more growl, more low end, smoother, warmer and less ragged mids and high end and frankly, the Barden bridge has transformed the guitar into a much nicer instrument. Period. Also, because of the better and flatter manufacturing of the Barden bridge the guitar sets up better and lower while still allowing wide bends without buzz or fretting out. That last part was the most unexpected result of the bridge swap and nearly the most appreciated. Seeing as how the Barden bridge can be had for under $45 new shipped from an Ebay seller I cant see any reason not to try one, or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I suspect that Fender uses those screws in Squier Teles for another reason.

So that the cheaply made bridge plate lies flat on the guitar's cheaply made body.
    Could be. Plus, it might not hurt that it kind of makes a bargain guitar look modded, and therefore cool.

Tele box bridges can be a little bowed across the bottom because they're stamped. Dan Erlewine has a thing in one of his books where he "increases coupling" by truing the surface by rubbing the plate across a sanding block.
    I've done it and there is some improvement in acoustic volume, maybe wee bit of sustain.
    Never had a feedback problem, and I didn't want to reduce microphonics. By the time I had my MIJ 50's Tele, I developed an appreciation for microphonics.
    I just happened to have the guitar apart and gave it a whirl.

Erlewine does not go the extra step of socking the front edge down with a pair of screws.

I had one of those thick Callaham bridges on version 1.0 of my current Tele. Nice piece, but I didn't love the sound.

Now I have Barden compensated saddles. I used an Allparts bridge when I got rid of the Callaham. Intonation was less than ideal, even for a Tele, and the B string was particularly annoying. The Barden saddles cured that.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello