Thread: Tonerider pickups

Forum Member

Tonerider pickups

Hi I have just noticed that tonerider make about four types of strat pickup sets. Does anybody know what they sound like, I have a guitar with some realy cheap pickups and wanted to replace them.

Re: Tonerider pickups

No. I think the Tonerider guy was spamming this site about them a few months ago, so I'm not inclined to check them out at all.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I dont know anything about spamming the site but I can tell you this; Toneriders sound good, real good. I have the City Limits neck and middle in a strat and the tone is amazing. I would say, based upon my experience with the City Limits that the Vintage P/us would be more akin to a Fender Fat 50 or 57/62 in their output. Check out the Tonerider website for sound clips. For the $ these cant be beat in my opinion.

Well, at half the price of the toneriders, my GFS 60's Repros can't be beat. And they sound so good, you'd have a hard time convincing me to switch them out.

And there's no spam.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

1/2 the price?? I gave $30 bucks a piece for my Toneriders, thats pretty cheap tone.

On the Tonerider website, they're listed at $119 a set. The GFS 60's Repros are $59.95 a set.
    -Dave Barry

Thats full retail, street prices are much cheaper. An American Standard Strat on Musicians Friend list at 1300-1400 bucks, actual price=$949.00

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    No. I think the Tonerider guy was spamming this site about them a few months ago, so I'm not inclined to check them out at all.
    +1
    -Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by pseudocat View Post
    Well, at half the price of the toneriders, my GFS 60's Repros can't be beat. And they sound so good, you'd have a hard time convincing me to switch them out.

And there's no spam.
    This is the truth! GFS 60 repros Are the shizzle for good strat tone!!

I have no doubt the GFS 60s are great, matter of fact, I am getting ready to order a set based on the sizzle they are getting here. Having said that, it seems to me that there should be no reason to not be able to mention and discuss an alternative p/u that is inexpensive and sounds great also. The guy asked about Toneriders, not GFS, and basically got slammed. What is this place anyhow: "Home of the Tone Nazis" I was kind of hoping this forum would be different... It seems, too many times these forums degenerate into 1 or 2 guys dominating the forum with several followers (Lemmings) chiming in and piling on to maintain the status quo against anyone that dares to adapt an opposing opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by okies View Post
    I have no doubt the GFS 60s are great, matter of fact, I am getting ready to order a set based on the sizzle they are getting here. Having said that, it seems to me that there should be no reason to not be able to mention and discuss an alternative p/u that is inexpensive and sounds great also. The guy asked about Toneriders, not GFS, and basically got slammed. What is this place anyhow: "Home of the Tone Nazis" I was kind of hoping this forum would be different... It seems, too many times these forums degenerate into 1 or 2 guys dominating the forum with several followers (Lemmings) chiming in and piling on to maintain the status quo against anyone that dares to adapt an opposing opinion.

BYE BYE!

Forum Member

Geez, I hope that guy still gets his check from the Tonerider people. He really went the extra mile.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    No soup for you.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    I think he is the guy from before. Weird IP from the same basic area.
    The take seemed to smell the same, but I was certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

OTOH, I know I won't be buying any of those pickups any time soon.

Has anybody ever even heard of them outside of BBS spam?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by lineboss58 View Post
    Hi I have just noticed that tonerider make about four types of strat pickup sets. Does anybody know what they sound like, I have a guitar with some realy cheap pickups and wanted to replace them.
    I have never tried them but if cheap is what you are after there are a few good pups out there as well the, GFS of course, the Vintage vibe WWW.vintagevibeguitars.com which I think are MIA, and Stewmac which look to be similar to the VV. Picking a brand of pups IMO is deciding which ad. fairytale you want to belive in. Or who makes the best ice cream.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!