Thread: GFS Pickups

GFS Pickups

Hello again guys. You may or may not remember me asking about a strat i wanted to build from various other strats. Well its time for the pickup replacement. And now that you guys told me about the other scales i can play, there is no stopping me...anyway, to the point.
    Looking round the net, and listening on here, GFS seems to be the best way to go. I've heard about the various sets on here and the GFS "Premium II" Alnico II, Hand Bevelled ones, seems to be the ones that are standing out with the characteristics they mention. Have any of you had any experience with these?
    Thanks
    "I'm not mad, i just like to keep myself company"

Re: GFS Pickups

I don't have any experience with the set you ask about, but I have a set of the 50's AlNiCo V Overwound Premium's and can't be happier with them. After nearly a year, I still love'm.

With all of the various options available from GFS, it makes it a difficult decision to make. I hear such good things about the other sets that ordinarily I might be tempted to try some of them out. Either I got very lucky and picked the right set for me right out of the gate, or they're all good. I suspect it's a little of both.
    POO DAT!!!

I've had nothing but great sounds with GFS---the Hot Alnico Staggered strat pups kill.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

The 60 repros kick ass! I don't think one can go wrong with GFS..

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    You got that right! I have a feeling they are going to change the industry...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I put the '64 Vintage Staggers in my Strat Plus. That Strat has always been 'second string' to my Ultra, but since the pickup change I hardly play my other Strat! I guess I'm in for another set.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post

+1, all day long
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Well i kinda guess that seals it. Ordering them on Friday. i dont suppose anyone knows about how these are sent out...? its just i'd rather not pay 2 sets of VAT. Everything i've got from the US (from a shop), i've had to pay English VAT on top when it arrives at my door which is really annoying

I've got a project in mind that I want to use GFS for. Anyone have experience with the Boston Blues?
    One nice thing is that they;re located 2 towns away from me.
    I believe the guy running them is the former head of Bedrock amps...one of my favorite amps is Bedrock...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

How are the 60s Repros for a "classic" Strat sound? Is there a better GFS set for getting the archetypal, pure Fender Stratocaster sound? I've been looking at the 60s Repros because I figured the ones that say "60s" would yield the most traditional, unadorned Strat tone, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm also open to trying more specialized stuff later, like overwound pups or the like -- but I'd like my first go-round to be pretty traditional and authentic to the original. If that makes any sense.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    How are the 60s Repros for a "classic" Strat sound? Is there a better GFS set for getting the archetypal, pure Fender Stratocaster sound? I've been looking at the 60s Repros because I figured the ones that say "60s" would yield the most traditional, unadorned Strat tone, but I'm open to other suggestions.

I'm also open to trying more specialized stuff later, like overwound pups or the like -- but I'd like my first go-round to be pretty traditional and authentic to the original. If that makes any sense.
    If you want traditional strat sounds go with the 60 repros they do it in spades. Cluck sparkel quack its all there you just have to get em in a guitar, go ahead buy them you will not take them out!
    Last edited by melody; 11-08-2007 at 05:52 PM.

Forum Member

From what I can gather from the GFS site, the '60s Repros are the only sets that are not RWRP. I cant get my mind around why there would be a difference, but too many people (fezz is one) that have experience with these (and dont buy into internet BS) state there is a noticeable loss with RWRP. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm very happy with the '64 Vintage Staggers, but the next set will be '60s Repros. I found out (the GFS replaced some Gold LSs) that the noise issue isnt that big of a deal as I thought, at least not where I play - mostly at home.

LoveBandit

Hey Fezz, are the GFS non-staggered 70's greybottoms RWRP? Thanks, LB.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    There is a difference (that I can hear) in the 2 and 4 with a non RWRP middle pickup that I like. I think the Hendrix stagger is also non-RWRP.
    I love these 60's Repro pickups.
    You're right, they're also non RWRP and the Boston Blues are too (and maybe others). I should have re-checked the site.

LB,

I cant find where GFS says whether the grey-bottoms are RWRP, you could e-mail them and find out.

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I have the '64 stagger vintage, they are non RWRP. I also have the '64 stagger Texas set and they ARE RWRP.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

There is a difference (that I can hear) in the 2 and 4 with a non RWRP middle pickup that I like. I think the Hendrix stagger is also non-RWRP.
    I love these 60's Repro pickups.

I can hear it too...Just a little something extra good!

LoveBandit

Is it hum cancelling in 2 and 4? If it is, there's a RWRP middle pickup.
    I just went home for lunch and tried it out. The 2 and 4 positions are not humfree but there IS less hum in positions 2 and 4 than in 1,3, or 5 so I guess that means that my middle pickup is RWRP - right? Oh well, they still sound killer anyway...I almost didn't make it back to work

LB
    Last edited by LoveBandit; 11-08-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Damn...I gotta get a set soon.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cooltone View Post
    I have the '64 stagger vintage, they are non RWRP. I also have the '64 stagger Texas set and they ARE RWRP.
    Very interesting. GFS claims the '64 Vintage Staggers have a middle pickup RWRP here, but not here

Forum Member

And just to be clear, the 60's Repros I'm talking about are not the overwound ones.
    That's something I wondered about. The GFS site says the regular 60s Repros are "wound quite hot to really drive an amp" -- but then it says the set of three runs from 5.35K to 5.8K, which doesn't seem like it would be excessively hot. (Which is good, because I don't want very hot.)
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama View Post
    You got that right! I have a feeling they are going to change the industry...
    Well I have to tell ya - apart from handwound 'uns - and there IS a difference - the GFS's may very well force other brands to drop their kecks - I bought a Repro 60's bridge pup for my son's Tele and it kicks ass... I have a handwound Bulldog Classic T in my bridge position and it is better but it cost me £60 - the GFS was $43 inc postage and they're very well put together and sound as good as they look - Fender should be ashamed of what they put in USA Std Tele's these days!

Hey yankeerob, i take it you live in the UK? Was just wondering if you had to pay any duty when the postman turned up at your door. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    That's something I wondered about. The GFS site says the regular 60s Repros are "wound quite hot to really drive an amp" -- but then it says the set of three runs from 5.35K to 5.8K, which doesn't seem like it would be excessively hot. (Which is good, because I don't want very hot.)
    Nah, they're not hot at all, which I'm pleased with. Every "hot" strat pickup I've ever tried ended up being disappointing to me (I know some of you like them...).

My 60's Repros are actually just a smidge underwound compared to the advertised values, and they sound really, really good.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

I know some pickup snobs. IMO, it's all hype and hyperbole. Hand wound, machine wound. Whatever. Good is good, and these things are good. I don't care if they're machine wound in Korea or hand wound on Aunt Bee's foot-pump-sewing-machine turned into a pickup winder in the basement wound by Leo Fender's ghost.
    Right on!

If it's wound right,it's GOOD.All the tones we're chasing from the '50s/'60s are by players using standard issue coiled cables (not oxygen free/monster/correct polarity/earth-friendly inductance wound).....and the pups were wound by someone named Sybil,who wouldn't know a pup from a flywheel,and just wanted to know if Sonny was going to be on time to pick her up at 5:00 when the whistle blew to go bowling!
    Good design+ good materials + good construction = good tone!
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

Nah, they're not hot at all, which I'm pleased with.
    Sweet. I noticed that "Wound quite hot to really drive an amp" language is also in the description of the overwound 60s Repros. It probably just made its way into the description of the regular 60s Repros through one of those all-too-common cut-and-paste accidents.

I don't know how soon I'll actually work up the gumption to order some new pups and get 'em installed, but the regular 60s Repros are far and away the front runners right now.

Dont mean to bring this old thread up, but the pickups are on their way! :)
    i got the GFS "Premium II" Alnico II.
    I also got the Clapton mid boost and TBX circuit on the way.
    The project is coming together nicely.
    Now all i need is the neck and i think i've found what i've been looking for. Its a Warmoth neck. I had a Clapton strat before and i loved the feel of the neck, and i see they do the Clapton copy, but i wanted a Rosewood board... Thats when i see that they make necks out of fancy wood. i was hooked for hours just looking round their site. Reason i'm talking about this is, i was hoping to get a little bit of feedback with the people on here that have tried a Warmoth neck. Do they fit like they should? Is the construction as good as Fender? I've got my heart set on a Maple neck with a "Kingwood" fretboard. (looks awesome). The only thing is, i'm a little scared about paying out the money when i've not even held it, i'm a bit worried about me not liking it. If its the same as the neck i had on my EC strat, there's not a problem, but if its not, we could have a problem. So i guess i'm just asking for a bit of advice on what people think of the Warmoth necks.
    Quick Edit to show some of these neck (WOW)

Thanks in advance, Steve
    Last edited by Los7; 12-20-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Forum Member

If you order the neck, you have ten days to return it, so go ahead and give it a try.

neck 4 looks great man, go ahead and try one. If you don't want to shell out the money at the moment, get a neck from a squire stratocaster standard on ebay or something of the sort, they're surprisingly comfy.
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Los7 View Post
    Reason i'm talking about this is, i was hoping to get a little bit of feedback with the people on here that have tried a Warmoth neck. Do they fit like they should? Is the construction as good as Fender? I've got my heart set on a Maple neck with a "Kingwood" fretboard. (looks awesome). The only thing is, i'm a little scared about paying out the money when i've not even held it, i'm a bit worried about me not liking it. If its the same as the neck i had on my EC strat, there's not a problem, but if its not, we could have a problem. So i guess i'm just asking for a bit of advice on what people think of the Warmoth necks.
    I have no idea how well the Warmoth Clapton neck matches the Fender version, so I can't really help you there. But I can tell you I am incredibly impressed with the quality of Warmoth necks. It's the best aftermarket neck you can buy, in my opinion. I have bought three of them sight unseen, and have been happy with all of them so far.