Thread: Insomnia and Music Theory

Forum Member

Insomnia and Music Theory

After a two hour nap this afternoon I find myself unable to sleep and tried doing major triads in my head around the circle of fifths to at least help bring sleep and bring my AP Theory grade up...thinking of moving on to major scales...then maybe minor including melodic, natural, and harmonic (both ways)...entertaining eh?

To keep this thread from going where I can't post in it (the dreaded Backstage Area), have any of you ever caught yourself going over some what trivia but ultimately useful information like that in your head? I used to scoff at my guitar teacher when he told me that on long car rides he would pick out random chords in his head and figure out how to solo to them etc...but now that doesn't seem so far off.

Some of you will notice I posted this in the Les Paul Forum as well...just figured I'd cover all my bases.

Re: Insomnia and Music Theory

Oh yeah, after a gig I dream about playing the guitar. When I awake I grab my guitar and check out things I played in my sleep.

The unconcious mind is very creative.

Forum Member

I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan used to have dreams like that except he'd be playing with Hendrix and his wife would wake up next to him in the middle of the night because he was hitting her with his fretting hand : P.

Quote Originally Posted by pauln View Post

The unconcious mind is very creative.
    ...or, subconcious?

Me, I relive physical adventures while fighting off insomnia. Particularly mountain bike rides. I find thinking about cerebral things like music theory keeps me awake longer.

DD - also uses self-hypnosis to fall asleep. It works!

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

reading theory books puts me to sleep.

that and 30mg of temazepam...
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

Reading Chemistry text books puts me to sleep...fortunately doing theory in my head will make me more fluent during discussions and rapid fire off-the-top-of-the-head question-answer sessions...if that makes sense...

Forum Member

I remember hearing a story that Charlie Daniels told, about how he was unhappy with his progress on the fiddle, disappointed and frustrated with the level he was playing at -- and then one night he had a dream where he was playing fantastically well, and supposedly he woke up the next morning and was able to play that way in real life.

Whether that's true or a bit of clever self-promotion on his part, I don't know.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    I remember hearing a story that Charlie Daniels told, about how he was unhappy with his progress on the fiddle, disappointed and frustrated with the level he was playing at -- and then one night he had a dream where he was playing fantastically well, and supposedly he woke up the next morning and was able to play that way in real life.

Whether that's true or a bit of clever self-promotion on his part, I don't know.

I done told you once you son of a bitch
    I'm the best there's ever been

- Charlie Daniels

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by elicross View Post
    ... and then one night he had a dream where he was playing fantastically well, and supposedly he woke up the next morning and was able to play that way in real life.

It's obvious self-promotion, as Charlie Daniels never actually started playing "fantastically well."

I've dosed off on the couch with my guitar in my lap.
    I don't remember dreaming it, but I may or may not have been playing in my sleep.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    It's obvious self-promotion, as Charlie Daniels never actually started playing "fantastically well."

VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Forum Member

Me-ow!
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg