Thread: Wiring All Parts 4-Way Switch

Wiring All Parts 4-Way Switch

I'm working on a Tele that I picked up from a forum member. It has CS Texas Specials in it and I want to install a 4-way switch. I purchased a couple from All Parts and they didn't have a wiring diagram. I called and they sent me the one for the Fender switch. I wired it up and both pickups are on in all four positions. Has anyone else used one of these? Can you provide me a copy of your wiring diagram? Thanks for your help.

The UK. Not all of it mind, just a bit of it.

Re: Wiring All Parts 4-Way Switch

Hi wingnut.

I got mine from Acme, here's the link to the wiring diagram:

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/pdf/W...Tele_4-Way.pdf

I'm sure you don't need it, but I also described how I did it here

Last edited by Timbo; 11-05-2007 at 01:55 AM.
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Thanks Timbo, I appreciate your help. I already see the issue without even removing the switch plate. Shouldn't be to hard to fix.
    Last edited by wingnut1; 11-05-2007 at 08:41 AM.

Timbo, I'm getting different sounds from positions 1, 2 and 3, but positions 3 and 4 sound the same. Somehow the bridge pickup is on in all four positions instead of being off in position 3. any ideas on what to look for.

You sure the bridge is on all the time? My switch is:

1 - bridge
    2 - bridge & neck parallel
    3 - neck
    4 - bridge & neck series

(might be the wrong way round, I'm never sure whether 1-4 goes neck to bridge or bridge to neck From what you write, I think I've got it the right way round))

If my bridge is on all the time I'd have:

1 - bridge
    2 - bridge & neck parallel
    3 - bridge & neck ?
    4 - bridge & neck series

So 2, 3 & 4 would sound the same (some output difference if some positions were parallel and others series)

If the bridge is on all the time, and it's 3 & 4 that sound the same, then position 3 has the bridge and neck in series.

I'm a when it comes to this stuff (as you probably guessed from my link above), but there are others here much more experienced.
    'Alton Towers - Where the magic never ends', or so the commercial says. Imagine my disappointment when it closed at 7.30

Timbo, your right on with the positions and what is going on in each position. When I tap on the bridge it is on in all positions. It's hard to tell with the neck, but I'm assuming that's because of the cover. I can't see where I've deviated from the diagram on the switch wiring.

Might sound daft, but have you tried unsoldering, turning the switch 180 degrees and resoldering?

If there's a problem with the switch then you'd end up with the neck pup on permanently instead of the bridge.

If it's still the bridge pup on all the time then at least you've eliminated the switch as a problem.

I originally put the switch in the wrong way and I only got a very faint signal. I then unsoldered everything turned it 180 degrees and resoldered. That time I mixed up the hot wires from the pickups and both were on all the time. Maybe it's the pickup itself since it was on in all four positions when I had them reversed. I'm going to open it back up again and take a look to see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the help.

Okay, I got it working now. I had two different wiring diagrams and they each had slight variations on the pickup connections. I swapped the hot leads and now it's working correctly.

nice one

Now that I've gotten the switch and the pickup all straitened out, I really like this guitar. It has the CSTTs in it right now, what pickups would give it a more traditional tele sound?

Thanks fezz.