Thread: 'Bucker on the bridge - a pickguard only swap-out?

'Bucker on the bridge - a pickguard only swap-out?

Sorry if this has been gone over before, but... Like many, I've been toying with the idea of putting a (p-90, ish?) humbucker in the bridge position on my strat.

The question is: Can this be done all "on the pickguard", so that it's not too tough to switch back to all single pole pups if I keep a pickguard configured for that setup too? The thing is, I'd like to take this idea out for a date, but not necessarily marry her for life, yet...

thanks all, -h

Re: 'Bucker on the bridge - a pickguard only swap-out?

As far as hot-swapping loaded pickguards go, somebody here posted at one point about using connectors (of the type commonly used in amps to hook up the speakers) for hooking up the pickguard to the jack and ground wires. This way, you can swap out loaded pickguards without having to solder.

Something like, but not necessarily, this.

I am hopeful that some helpful soul will come along to clarify and post a link to the proper solution. Anyway, good luck.

J

Hutch, a P90 is just a hotter single coil thats bigger, thats all. And if your guitar has HSS routing, you should be good. (Meaning you have the body that's routed to except a humbucker)

So you should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    The question is: Can this be done all "on the pickguard", so that it's not too tough to switch back to all single pole pups if I keep a pickguard configured for that setup too? The thing is, I'd like to take this idea out for a date, but not necessarily marry her for life, yet...

thanks all, -h
    True P90's mount differently.
    "Soapbars" mount to the body, via 2 screws between the poles.
    This could work. The guard will just mount around it. But you won't have the Strat-like utility of having all the electronics attached to the guard.

The Dogear mount is self-explanitory. I'm pretty sure the cover will be too tall to fit under the strings.

There are various HB sized P90-type p'ups that will fit a HB rout and mount to a Strat guard, so you'll have an entire assembly situation you're looking for.
    They're a little bit different than real P90's, but they're P90-ish.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    True P90's mount differently.
    "Soapbars" mount to the body, via 2 screws between the poles.
    This could work. The guard will just mount around it. But you won't have the Strat-like utility of having all the electronics attached to the guard.

The Dogear mount is self-explanitory. I'm pretty sure the cover will be too tall to fit under the strings.

There are various HB sized P90-type p'ups that will fit a HB rout and mount to a Strat guard, so you'll have an entire assembly situation you're looking for.
    They're a little bit different than real P90's, but they're P90-ish.
    My Advice- a Phat Cat Duncan Bridge. Ive heard it said they sound better than real p90's- i guess that has to be taken in the context which it was said, cause i sure wouldnt expect them to actually sound better than a vintage P90.One thing is they will get you close, and they will mount in a regular Strat hole and should soiund better -meaning less thin/bright i think,than most repros or late model P90's except maybe the botique jobs.

Yeah. An HB-sized p'up is the easiest way to go.
    There are many brands of p'ups to choose from now, and it's a common guard layout too.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

http://members.aol.com/Vesperboy/bastardBeck.jpg

Nocaster neck, Blue lace Mid , Rio Grande Fat Ba$tard p-90 bridge .( isnt it so ugly ???? ) ....with the swimming pool rout ..its easy....and I can put it back to its 1993 Jeff Beck strat self in 10 minutes by replacing its untouched PG assy ..

I also have a " texas special Fat Strat ( with the PG humbucker .) that I have put on it ...
    Last edited by Tele00; 10-31-2007 at 12:27 PM.

In another similar thread, goofballone wrote;
    Quote Originally Posted by goofballone View Post
    Is This Hot enough For Rawk?
    Hey goofball, that site you linked to (guitarfetish.com) seems to have pre-wired pick guard assemblys for rediculously low prices - and may be exactly what I'm looking for. I mean for less than $40 you can get the whole she-bang ready to drop in. But, it all looks like "brand-x" components, which makes me a bit hesitant, but for those prices, it's almost worth a try?

Guys please take a look at http://store.guitarfetish.com/wipi.html. Anyone have any experience with these? Very very tempting... -H

search the posts for "GF" or "guitar fetish" and see if it yields results.

someone once posted a detailed review of loaded pickguards from GF and it even had sound files.

Hey thanks honky. I think I found that thread here: http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...1&highlight=GF.

okay okay, I ordered the HSS loaded pickguard from guitarfetish. I'll report back when I get it installed and let you know my thoughts. -H

The GFS humbucker equipped HSS pearloid pre-wired pickguard arrived (see http://store.guitarfetish.com/hueqhssprasp.html. The build quality is excellent! The middle pickup is wired in a r/w configuration so there's some hum cancellation in switch positions 2 & 4. Whoever put this thing together knows what they're doing. The single's appear to be either the GFS Alnico Boutique ones or the 60's Repros - not sure.

Installation was a breeze - once I routed out my MIJ 50's Reissue for the bucker (it turns out that those clever Japanese folks even replicated the original 1950's pickup routing under the pickguard!). I decided to install removable "crimp on" wire connectors on the pickuard and the guitar itself so I can easily switch assemblys in the future.

(aside: I'm happy to know that the guitar didn't have the "swimming pool" route, as I think that much wood missing in the body is not the best idea)

I would recommend this to anyone. You will be thrilled.
    -H

I've got a strat with a Gibson 'bucker in the bridge. I get no hum at the "1" position of course (I'm calling the bridge, 1 I may be backwards) anyhow, I also get no hum at the 4. The 2 (bridge and middle) does hum, however.

What is this r/w wiring you referred to, is it something I could add fairly easily to get hum canceling at that 2nd position?

I got my pearloid pickguard from GF, and you really can't beat them for the money. I like your idea about installing the quick change connectors, it makes changing your whole config about as easy as changing strings.

Reverse Winding means when this pickup is on in parallel to any other normal wound pickup, you have true hum cancelling

right, thanks - i'd just talked to a friend about it last night and he clued me in on what r/w might be. Since mine was stock until I added the 'bucker, I guess I'll do without for now.