Thread: Hey Gazza!

Hey Gazza!

Just got back from a little weekend trip and I managed to pick up Rory's Live at the BBC CD set as well as Calling Card while I was gone.........WOW!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm really loving his stuff! I've got a chance to pick up some bootleg stuff later this week, I'll let you know what is available.

Forum Member
    I told you so! Live at the BBC smokes, how about that version of calling card on the BBC disc? That AC-30 tone is to die for.:tw59
    Last edited by Gazza; 07-28-2002 at 09:23 PM.

The Calling Card on the BBC Sessions does rock! His tone is so fat with that great sustain. Do you have any idea where his guitar is now? Is it in a museum or does his family have it? The liner notes to the BBC Sessions was written by his brother so I wonder if he has it?

Have you read that book:Gallagher, Marriott, Deringer, Trower: Their Lives and Music by Dan Muise? While I was in KC this weekend I went to 3 different book stores to try and find it, but no one had it in stock. Supposedly this book has some good info on his life. Maybe I'll just break down and order it......

Forum Member
    Thanks for reminding me about that book, I forgot that it was out.Last I heard his brother Donal had the guitar but it could be else where nowadays.If it was in a museum I would be on my way to see it.Just wait till you get the Irish tour DVD,you get close ups of alot of his gear, Tele's/Martin D-35/bassman/Strat.

I just got an email from Amazon letting me know that the DVD shipped out yesterday so I should have it my hands this week, I can't wait to check it out. From the experiences I've had in trying to track this book down I recommend just ordering it

As much as I love his strat stuff, I have to admit that some of my favorite stuff of his is on the acoustic. I can't wait to check him out playing the D35 on the DVD!

Forum Member
    If you like his acoustic stuff check out his very first CD "Rory Gallagher" there is a song in an altered tuning called "Just the smile" that sends shivers up my spine, there is alot of acoustic stuff on his first album.I actually agree with you his acoustic playing is just downright amazing.His slide playting is wicked too,I dont think there is a style of music Rory couldn't cover.I miss Rory, its too bad he left this earth so early and the way he did.
    Last edited by Gazza; 07-28-2002 at 09:51 PM.

I hear ya. I'll have to try and find his first cd now, all of your picks have been so good so far that I'm sure I'll love it. His versatility is one of my favorite, if not favorite, things about him. He doesn't fall into that "same song played 15 different ways" syndrom that some guitar gods fall into. I love that about him, every track on a cd is different.

What did you think about the production of the Deep Purple Bassist on Calling Card as oppsed to his self production on the earlier cds?

Forum Member
    Just go buy all of his CD's you can't go wrong.:tw59

Forum Member
    Standin' at the crossroads, shoutin' at the devil.
    Hmm... I need to check him out. Next trip over to Best Buy or Borders and I'll look into it. What would you guys recommend as essential? I may have unconciously heard some Rory, but I can't say that (consiously) the name rings a bell.
    The man with magic hands.

Forum Member
    BK:Honestly I recommend all of Rory's CD's but I would start with calling card, photo finish, irish tour, Tattoo, Live at the BBC,stage struck.Thats just for starters and then I would finish buying his whole catalog.

Hey Gazza,
    Not sure if you are still checking this site anymore, but I just wanted you to know that the Rory Irish Tour DVD showed up and it SMOKES!!

Thanks for all of the Rory info and take care. Good luck in whatever comes your way