Thread: Got a P-Bass ... Wondering if dates are correct

Forum Member

Got a P-Bass ... Wondering if dates are correct

I picked up this P-Bass for a song and I sing like crap. The pencil neck date is 8-20-82, and its also stamped Torres and FRR 20. There is no serial number on the neck plate or neck. The pots are numbered R1378227 which would date them to 1982, the same as the neck. I can't figure out why there is no serial number on the guitar unless the neck plate was replaced with the scroll "F" plate that is currently on it?? Anyone know if this is the Fullerton reissue of the 1957 P that Fender put out in 82? Any input on no serial number?

Last edited by BassNoob; 10-18-2007 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Member

Re: Got a P-Bass ... Wondering if dates are correct

Pots:

do those tuners turn backwards? turn them towards you to raise the pitch?

if so you've probably got what you think you have. from what i've read 80's to very early 90's fenders are sort of "weird". but with pot codes that date them to 82... i'd go with that. how's it sound though? cause that's really the test.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

Yes, counterclockwise. The missing serial number is the dilema....maybe the neckplate was replaced but why?? Its not like you lose a neckplate, although the neckplate that is on it is flawless mint, not ascratch or markon it. The man who owned the guitar would not have had any concern with tossing the original serial numbered plate if it needed to be replaced, he was wealthy man and a lifelong guitarist who played to play...value and money were no concerns. He passed away leaving behind a cache of Gibsons electric and acoustic, sound equipment etc. etc.