Thread: Before They're Dead Tour

Before They're Dead Tour

My punk singer son and I have been spending a couple years looking for the old time legends and near legends to come by on tour and then we go watch them and learn from them that started different things.
    We've seen the Beach Boys when only Dennis was missing, Bob Dylan a couple times, Dick Dale, Link Wray, Rosie Flores, Willie Nelson, Billy Swan, Roky Ericksson, and so on. He saw Johnny Cash, but I missed it cause of work
    A week from tonight we're gonna go see Wanda Jackson.

Do any y'all do this sort of thing? Who ya seen?
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Re: Before They're Dead Tour

Wanda's coming around here. I should catch that one.

Saw Bo Diddley a few years back. It was clear that he wasn't doing it just for the sheer joy of performing. Being a 'Living Legend" doesn't come with a retirement plan.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Now, this was back in the late '80s, but I saw Chuck Berry here in Ottawa. Actually got the chance to get up on stage and dance "with our wimmin" as Chuck put it.

Man, if anyone like that came to Ottawa regularly (Rush, The Boss and others at $100 a pop don't count), I'd be all over that, esp. if they played clubs and not theatres or arenas.

DD

Quite a while ago, I saw Chuck Berry. While it was cool to see him, he seemed to be going through the motions.
    His strap came off at one point. If he cared enough to have a crew and hire & rehearse a band, somebody would've hipped him to some sort of straplock.
    I don't think Chunk's hurting for dough.

On the other hand, I saw Ray Charles a few years before he died and it was dynamite. It was a FREE show on New Haven Green, and it kinda' pissed me off how many people were more engrosed in their wine & snacks and cell chitchat about plans for later in the evening.
    This was RAY CHARLES for pete's sake, and he and his giant band were very ON.
    Luckily, we were able to move up pretty close.

My buddy couldn't to call his bro' back in Colombia the next day, to tell him "I saw Ray Charles in Jail lastnight," jail- meaning Yale.

It was a very cool show. A musical memory I'll treasure for sure.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

In the 80s, living in Chicago, it was impossible not to have a real sense that many of the legendary blues guys still playing wouldn't be there forever. I did try to see as many as I could, and almost all still had "it". Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Fenton Robinson, Son Seals, Jimmy Rogers, Sunnyland Slim, Luther Allison were all still active and playing in the clubs, along with some still "with us" -- Jimmy Johnson, Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor.

Catching Ray Charles back then (or ever) was a real treat too.

And I don't care what anybody says: the Stones still 'got it going on.

I thought this thread was gonna be about Britney, Paris, and Lindsey!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!