Thread: What single coils are for me?

What single coils are for me?

Ok, I have a cheap ripoff jazzmaster guitar by stagg and it's loaded with 3 toneless pickups that will make a deaf person cringe. Despite what everyone says about stagg being so cheap, it's a very nice guitar, especially for the money.

Anyways, I'm looking at some fender custom shop pickups, but I don't know which ones to get that would sound best. I play a lot of Texas blues, so the Texas Specials are looking good to me, but I also love having a nice clean tone, which I hear the Texas Specials are a bit lacking being over wound to about 6.5k, so now the 57/62's are looking even better to me.

I want the nice typical strat tone that turns into a nice gritty blues tone with a nice tube screamer. I'm torn here, can you help me decide?
    Quote Originally Posted by sting7777
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: What single coils are for me?

I know you're asking about Fender custom shop here, but I have to say that the GFS '64 stagger Texas grey bottoms might be exactly what you're looking for.
    You'll get your Texas Blues and an incredible clean sound to boot. Plus, you won't have to invest as much as you paid for your entire guitar. You gotta' trust me on this one.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Joobsauce View Post
    Ok, I have a cheap ripoff jazzmaster guitar by stagg and it's loaded with 3 toneless pickups that will make a deaf person cringe. Despite what everyone says about stagg being so cheap, it's a very nice guitar, especially for the money.

Anyways, I'm looking at some fender custom shop pickups, but I don't know which ones to get that would sound best. I play a lot of Texas blues, so the Texas Specials are looking good to me, but I also love having a nice clean tone, which I hear the Texas Specials are a bit lacking being over wound to about 6.5k, so now the 57/62's are looking even better to me.

I want the nice typical strat tone that turns into a nice gritty blues tone with a nice tube screamer. I'm torn here, can you help me decide?
    www.copperheadpickups.com hand wound to what you want great pups great prices or if it is Fender CS brand what you just got to have, IMO the CScustom 54s is what would work for ya. but the 57/62s are good pups also.
    ones too many and a hundred is not enough!

Forum Member

most people agree on this forum its hard to beat GFS.

Now I'm liking the copperhead 59's and they're not that pricey either! Dang!

Now I'm going to look into the GFS pickups while I'm up. :)
    EDIT- looked at GFS and they're 17bux each at guitarfetish right now. How's GFS's tone and build quality compare to the other guys that hand wind their pickups like copperhead or fender?
    tone knobs just get in the way of things like windmills and playing with your teeth upside down anyway

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I had a set of Texas specials in my Vintage Player strat and replaced them with a set of GFS '64 stagger's and the guitar really sparkled. Clean bell-like strat tone and nothing lost by adding a lot of gain.
    I also replaced a set of gold Lace sensors in my strat plus with the '64 stagger Texas set..breathed a whole new life into that guitar, too.
    Build quality and materials are solid. Totally satisfactory.

The cool thing is that if you try 'em and don't like 'em, you're only out what..67 bucks?

IMO, these pups are the perfect 'upgrade' for a 'cheap' guitar.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

LoveBandit

I like my GFS 70's greybottoms in my Strat also. The build quality was fine. LB

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    They're Hamel's without the life-drama.
    Oh, that is so stinking funny!!!
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

"The cool thing is that if you try 'em and don't like 'em, you're only out what..67 bucks?"

Has anybody tried the copperhead pickups? The site says if you don't like them, you get your money back. (you have to return the pickups of course)

Sorry, nowadays, on my budget (and my wife's careful scrutiny), GFS is about all I have been ordering.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

GFS has a 10 day return period and 60 exchange if you dont like them. (Direct, I dont think there's a 10 day return policy if bought on e-bay)

I put the 64 Vintage Strat pups in my Strat Plus and am very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by orenda View Post
    "The cool thing is that if you try 'em and don't like 'em, you're only out what..67 bucks?"

Has anybody tried the copperhead pickups? The site says if you don't like them, you get your money back. (you have to return the pickups of course)
    Copperhead ya ,I got one yesterday will put it in Sat. and tell you how she runs, I got a 59 model . Built great !all the right stuff. Promt shipping packaged well.
    Last edited by Russ; 10-16-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Copperhead ya ,I got one yesterday will put it in Sat. and tell you how she runs, I got a 59 model . Built great !all the right stuff. Promt shipping packaged well.
    Anyway if you can post some soundclips or something? Thats really caught my eye over everything else here.

Anyway if you can post some soundclips or something? Thats really caught my eye over everything else here.
    Soundclips ???? what you want me scary everone, really I do not have the means to do so....... BUT I do have a Strat loaded with GFS 64 grey texas staggers and one with Fender Custom shop custom 54s, I will tell you how they compare to those two other sets. The fellow at Copperhead is working on sound clips for his site wants to put up some good straight forward ones I think. I have put a few other makers pups in other peoples strats Fralin ,Duncan, Fender CS etc. I like the CSC54s and fralin best , They cost too much new IMO untill now, hand wound built pups at 135 a set seems reasonable. Can not imagine Jeffs pups being bad sounding, well I will find out Sat.
    Last edited by Russ; 10-17-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Alan is a genius when it comes to guitars and pickups. He knows his shit. He's just kinda...uh...complex.
    word. love the guy, but the service is crappy. hate to say it, cause i've learned A LOT from the guy...
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Just chiming in on praise for the GFS 60's Repros. Awesome pickups. I can honestly say they're the most "alive" strat pickups I've tried yet (and I've tried a lot, trust me).
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Copperhead 59 , sounds great, better sustain warmth and sweetness than my GFS 64s IMO a nicer sounding pup. The GFS do have a good bell quaility are close but the copperhead is a cut above them. can not as of yet say if I like them better than the Fender CS54s , its too close to call.

So would you recommend spending the extra $$$ and get the copperheads?
    And how was their customer service btw?

I shouldn't ask so many questions!

EDIT- copperhead got soundclips, and damn the 59's sound great!

So would you recommend spending the extra $$$ and get the copperheads?
    And how was their customer service btw?

I shouldn't ask so many questions!

EDIT- copperhead got soundclips, and damn the 59's sound great!
    Yes and yes the customer service is the best, get a whole set IMO. Talk to the man tell him what you want he do it for you. The GFS are pretty darn good and many many people make get pups, but IMO for the kind of money he is asking,well I am only one in how many Strat players?????????? ... All three of my Starts are going to have copperheads soon. Hand made in North America worth twice as much as Made in Keora? to me they are, three times as much ,I do not think so, none are ! Enough said!
    Last edited by Russ; 10-22-2007 at 11:22 PM.