Thread: How do you know if you're good enough to join a band?

Forum Member

How do you know if you're good enough to join a band?

How do you know if you're good enough to join a band? I'd love to join a band but I just don't know when the right time will be or when I'll be good enough. I'll be happy as a clam to just play rhythm.

I'm thinking playing in a band situation will force me to get better too. Right now I end up mindlessly wanking away while watching the History and Discovery channels whenever I play. I do best when I have structure and goals to attain. Right now I have none and my playing reflects it.
    Got them Statesboro Blues

...somewhere in the middle of minor pentatonic...

Re: How do you know if you're good enough to join a band?

The right time is...right now... The challenging part is to find other people who share your vision of music and preferably your sense of humor. A band is always a group of people, so you have to have something in common. If your people skills are ok, and you also can play a little and if you are willing and able to learn new tunes you should have no problem. An audition to a new group isn't only a test for your playing skills, but also a compatibility test so to say.

I'm thinking playing in a band situation will force me to get better too.
    To my experience this is 100% true. In a band you always have a goal to achieve, sitting on your sofa and wankin' your g'tar won't do any good (unless you like wankin' your g'tar )

Hope I make at least some sense (English isn't my native lingo)...

Best of luck finding a band!
    ...just keep 'em fingas movin'
    Tapio Valdemar Aalto - from the village of Kovela, Finland

i always found it easier to just start my own band.
    ....that way, i get to call the shots

what kind of band? orig? covers?
    Imanidiot.

Forum Member

I'm thinking I might try to find some band that just plays local bars and pubs that plays your standard blues-based rock 'n roll stuff. I can't solo worth a damn but stick me on some Rolling Stones, AC/DC, or Tom Petty riffs and I'm be just fine. Riffs and rhythm I have little, if any, trouble with (getting the timing down while playing along with drums can be...interesting at times, but then again I have very little practice with that). It's the solos that really show how much I suck. I can do Angus Young solos pretty good but that's about it.

I'd like to find some guys who are in it for fun, free beer, and women, who play out sometimes and who aren't trying to make a career out of it. I think I'd fit in with that atmosphere better than some guys who are actually accomplished musicians and who are trying to make a living out of it. I wouldn't have the time to devote to a band that's gigging all the time anyways.

I'd like to stick to covers right now. I think that'll make it easier for me to actually learn the guitar more and get pretty good at it. That way I'll be better prepared and actually have some ideas if I decide to join a band that plays originals.
    Last edited by tugboat; 10-12-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Gunner's right, the time is now. Don't concern yourself too much with how good you are, and certainly don't focus on promoting what you know you're not good at. The fact is, no matter how good or bad you are, there will always be someone else better or worse. That's not what it's all about. It's about getting the music out and having a good time while doing it.

Try looking into a website called bandmix.com. It's free to join, though you can not initiate a conversation unless you are a paying member. However, you can respond to someone messaging you. Fill out the profile as accurately as you can, and list your ambitions and level of commitment honestly. You'll be suprized at how many other musicians in your area are looking for the same thing.

Since you're relatively new to your town, you don't have the benefit of knowing a lot of other local musicians yet. Bandmix can help with that situation. You may not actually find your ideal band there, but it'll allow you to begin networking with other musicians in the area. Then when you see them out around town, you'll know who is who, and better yet, they may even know something about you too.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    I'm thinking I might try to find some band that just plays local bars and pubs that plays your standard blues-based rock 'n roll stuff. I can't solo worth a damn but stick me on some Rolling Stones, AC/DC, or Tom Petty riffs and I'm be just fine. Riffs and rhythm I have little, if any, trouble with (getting the timing down while playing along with drums can be...interesting at times, but then again I have very little practice with that).......... I can do Angus Young solos pretty good but that's about it.

I'd like to find some guys who are in it for fun, free beer, and women, who play out sometimes and who aren't trying to make a career out of it. I think I'd fit in with that atmosphere better than some guys who are actually accomplished musicians and who are trying to make a living out of it. I wouldn't have the time to devote to a band that's gigging all the time anyways.

I'd like to stick to covers right now. ....

i think you should post the above statement on your local Craigslist.com
    Imanidiot.

You can generally get an idea if a band is going to work by testing the chemistry with some informal or semi-formal jam and practice sessions. It's always surprising that the overall sound can vary so much with just one change of player. For example, sometimes a band sounds much better when a particular player is left out, even if the player is an OK musician... sometimes what they bring to the party just doesn't fit in with the rest of the picnic.

So start by trying to play with various proto-bands, where the initial commitment is limited to playing a few sessions for fun and see how things go. Good experience in itself. Don't be afraid to "play the field" -- seek out and play with as many different musicians at roughly your level of playing as you can find.

I mention the "roughly your level" thing because, as you've already touched upon, it's important that there isn't too much of a range of playing ability or playing experience in the band... this can be a predictable source of tension and unhappiness further down the track, putting a strain on friendships and so on. Ideally, no matter how great or modest an individual contribtion to the overall sound is, it should be a definite contribution, and everyone should have a good idea of their role in the overall scheme of things. If you have to miss a practice, everyone should notice (in a good way).

Bands are inherently difficult and unstable things. There are many more challenges that arise further down the track. Paradoxically, sometimes it's the first sniff of succes that will tear a band apart (success feeds egos, egos can destroy bands). Bands can be very difficult to make work, but when they do, it's very rewarding. One step at a time. Keep pluggin' along. Playing _ensemble_ is what it's all about, imho.

-Mark
    Last edited by Plugger; 10-12-2007 at 06:59 PM.

I just said, in another thread, that you're always good enough to join a band, if you can find a crappy enough band!

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post

Bands are inherently difficult and unstable things. ...

-Mark

who told?
    Imanidiot.

You should get a metronome. As lame as it might sound (it sounded lame to me when I was learning) it helps immensely.

Otherwise it's going to drive a drummer crazy to have you throwing him off. Plus, I think it makes your playing more beat-oriented, if that makes any sense.

You can start a band with people at your skill level and have a lot of fun. Trust me, there's nothing like playing with a full band, it's better than crack. Uh, so I'm told...

Try playing out at the local open mic jams...
    The experience of playing with others on stage will boost your progress faster than anything else and you will get a realistic sense of how you fit into the gigging band world.
    You may find that after hearing you, folks ask you about playing with them.
    In any event, don't wait. Playing with others is the very best way to improve and build confidence.

paraphrased from a friend of mine's landscaping business t-shirt

"the best time to join a band was twenty years ago...the next best time is right now."
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Judging by some of the bands I've been in, you don't need to be very good at all.

Seriously, there's no time like the present. Find people to jam with, and go from there. You learn many times faster playing with other people, and picking up their bad habits, too. And remember your ears are more important than your fingers.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

and fwiw, there are plenty of bands nowadays that have NO lead guitarist.

...really too many to mention.

who needs those lead guitarists and their *i'm the hottest bitch in the band* attitude, anyways

...seriously!
    Imanidiot.

Gravity Jim

I think the consensus here is correct:

If a band asks you to join, you're ready!

Just pay the dues over to the Union Hall and your good to go.
    VM

If aliens listened to our current top 40, they'd think that the entire planet was populated by sexually ambivalent robots with ethnic insecurity.

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    You should get a metronome. As lame as it might sound (it sounded lame to me when I was learning) it helps immensely.

Otherwise it's going to drive a drummer crazy to have you throwing him off. Plus, I think it makes your playing more beat-oriented, if that makes any sense.

The metronome advice is great!
    But if the drummer is flowing the guitarist he ain't worth a shit anyhoo.. He\She should be able to keep time no matter what's going on...

Yeah, and one other thing that I'll do if I start playing shows again, that I refused to do before...get a tuner.

I always thought, "Bah, I don't need one" and was pretty proud of my ability to tune by ear, even in a Guitar Center on a Saturday afternoon. But it would eliminate not only another hassle, but the chance of not getting it quite right, thus having to play the rest of a song out of tune, or trying to tune on the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson View Post
    i think you should post the above statement on your local Craigslist.com
    Frank is right on! If you start one yourself, you are in the driver's seat. Keep in mind though that putting a band together is a bit like finding 3 or 4 wives. You are looking for people with similar musical interests, abilities, personalities, and financial states. All 4 categories are important, but not critical. Similar financial states can be a big one...you don't want to be the one funding the project. I once had a drummer who couldn't afford drum sticks and heads let alone a set! Don't get involved with folks like that no matter how good they are!

The other thing is, there are lots of "little things" that crop up and will drive you crazy from time to time. You will often ask yourself if you can deal with the little things or if you are going to start over. Starting over takes a lot of time. Learn to let the little stuff slide. I'm always telling myself, "like water off a duck's back" when I get frustrated. Band wives can be a REAL problem. The women seem to thrive on creating unnecessary drama. Just remember...Water off a duck's back!

Go out and do it dude! It's fun. You'll eventually hook up with the right bunch. The more people you play with, the easier the whole thing gets! Just go out and have fun. Once you get 40 songs together, go out and play. Do it as fast as you can and still make it sound good. So many bands fall apart in the basement! Get out there and get playing. If you build it, they will come!

Good luck man! You can do it!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Keep in mind though that putting a band together is a bit like finding 3 or 4 wives. You are looking for people with similar musical interests, abilities, personalities, and financial states. All 4 categories are important, but not critical. Similar financial states can be a big one...you don't want to be the one funding the project. I once had a drummer who couldn't afford drum sticks and heads let alone a set! Don't get involved with folks like that no matter how good they are!
    Amen brother. The part about the drummer especially resonates with me, I think I played with the same guy in my last band.

This topic rears every so often. Let me tell you what I think about it.

YMMV, but I have been a gigging guitarist for a while.

Every newb seems to approach this from exactly the WRONG angle, which is - am I a good enough player technically. That, my friends, is the last thing to worry about. I can teach anybody a few chords and have then be "technically competent" to play a gig provided the material is matched to their ability.

The real things you need to ask yourself are:
    1) Do you have the confidence, and
    2) Do you have the work ethic?
    3) Can I compromise?
    4) Do I have the gear?

I've met guys at jams that have chops out the ying-yang that I could only dream of having, but are so hogtied by stage fright they'll never be able to play in a band. I've met guys that can play Purple Haze note-for-note but won't buckle down and actually learn the correct rythym part for Mustang Sally.

What you need to ask yourself is do you have that killer instinct to go out and lay it down? Are you willing to take the risk of sounding like ass because you tried something new? Are you extroverted enough to speak to a crowd of total strangers - and do it with notes rather than words?

Are you willing to stop wanking around with a guitar and really learn to practice? Are you willing to disect a solo note-for-note and be able to reproduce it when asked? Show up for practive even though it's inconvienient?

Can you take criticism from your bandmates as positive feedback and not get all pissy or retreat into your shell?

Are you willing to play a song you hate? I hate the Stray Cats, but we do their tunes and the audience, along with a few of my bandmates dig them. That's cool. It ain't about me.

Do you own good reliable gear that sounds good and can you set it up and get it sounding right in 5 minutes?

I I handed you a book with 60 songs, can you have them down in a reasonable amount of time?

Being in a band is about being able to get along, to have the work ethic, and to have the ability to enjoy yourself onstage and project the fun back to the crowd. The chops are secondary. If you are a team player, pay your dues, and get in with the right bunch of guys you'll be fine. Be totally honest about your abilities and expect some rough nights. We all have them. You can make a mistake and learn from it, or blame your bandmates. Guys who fall in the latter category seldom make it past the first few gigs.

Above all, do it because you want to and enjoy it.

On a bad night I get to hang and play music with guys I love.

On a good night the band is cooking.

On a great night I get to see a boobie.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

And learn to control your dynamics..

Keep in mind though that putting a band together is a bit like finding 3 or 4 wives

bwhahahahahahahaha...truer words were never spoke!

there is sooooooooo much good info in this thread...it should be a sticky
    Imanidiot.

If you wait til you're ready, you'll never be ready. Just get in a band.

You'll never improve as a musician faster than when you're in a band.
    If you aren't cutting it, they'll let you know.

Craigslist.

do it and be done with it, sink or swin my friend.

and most of all: have fun! that is what music is all about.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Forum Member

So in short, go ahead and dive right in. Cool! I think it would be a blast to play rhythm. Once things get settled financially I'll have to get a more powerful amp (I doubt a Champ would cut it at a gig) and just go ahead and dive right in.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    I'll add this to Chuck's: Can you play in an ensemble, and do your part? This is the key to it all.

Man, fezz, that is soooooo spot on.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'd say I play well enough to join a band now. I think I've had the basic level of "bandability" for about three years now, after extensive training in the Jam Zone.

But I've also learned in the last year that there are other factors to add or take away from your "bandable" levels. The factor that has really effected me is availability.

I have regular things going on certain nights of the week, so that limits the nights I can rehearse or gig. Then there is the health factor. It seems the nights I'm not tied up, I'm sick or not feeling well.

I eventually came to realize that it would be selfish and unfair to my band mates if I did join a band because I'd seldom be able to make rehearsals, and might even have to miss some of the gigs.

So I've tapered my burning desire to be in a band. I'm now living vicariously through my son.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Crap. Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    This topic rears every so often. Let me tell you what I think about it.

As usual, OSA nails it. It's good to have you back and posting a bit more after your hiatus. Hope you're doing well.

Tugboat -- no time like the present. Do it now. Find a few folks at around your skill level who share your musical interests and enthusiasm, and get to it. Be patient. As others have said, it can be a trying process, but fun and rewarding.

Who's this guy fezz?

Forum Member

Just do it. Nothing will show you your strengths and weaknesses more than actually getting out and playing with other musicians. Practice at home can only take you so far IMO. Your playing will rise to a new level.

Yes, go out and do it. Do it while you can.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I agree with Jam Nights.

No investment, nobody asking to crash on your couch (maybe), often free beer and sometimes girls show up at them. All the good stuff, no drama. Don't like it - go to a different jam. Great way to network for when you actually feel like jumping in head first.

Try to bring someone along to listen to you jamming who isn't going to blow sunshine up your smokestack about how 'great' you were. Someone who'll tell you if you're too loud or offer other useful advice. Maybe a friend in a band that you can take some constructive criticism from without taking it personally. A second set of ears that are brutally honest and aren't onstage can be a wonderful thing for a beginner if you have thick skin.

Other than that, I'd say just go for it. If nothing else, answer every ad on CraigsList looking for a guitar player and do some auditions. Don't take rejection from bands you try out for personally, they're probably not playing out right now either. ;D

Cheers,
    - JJ
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Gross View Post
    I agree with Jam Nights.

No investment, nobody asking to crash on your couch (maybe), often free beer and sometimes girls show up at them. All the good stuff, no drama. Don't like it - go to a different jam. Great way to network for when you actually feel like jumping in head first.
    Be aware...as the new person on the scene, you will be thrown into situations that are less than optimal.

You will quickly learn to identify the least incompetent of your temporary bandmates and lock in with them as best as possible, so that you don't get blamed for the inevitable trainwreck.

Listen, learn, have some humility about the situation, and above all else, have fun.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Lots of excellent thoughts above. Almost all of them stem from a central theme - really understanding your role as a guitarist in the band, operationally, functionally, and musically.

In other words, choose the right things to do, and do those things right. When in doubt, ask the band.

Having fun is nature's way of confirming that you've found the right people.

i'm betting savannah might be a pretty fertile ground to begin your search for a band, no? check out some clubs while you were there?
    Röckin' nön-stöp ön my Föckin' Glöckinspiel...
    Bonefish on Myspace
    bonefish on facebook

Best way to spend time..lettin' it flow and absorbing the experience.
    Cheers and beers
    I have decided to be happy because it's good for my health.