Thread: Things I've learnt so far from the Jamzone (Thanks guys!!!) - long post...

Things I've learnt so far from the Jamzone (Thanks guys!!!) - long post...

I started playing guitar when I was 13. I'm 32 now. I began playing Strats seriously just one year ago. I am totally self taught. No formal training, with occasional tips from one jazz teacher (who actually taught me how to listen), and a hundred other Vai wannabes. What the jazz teacher (some American dude who could REALLY play) taught me was far more valuable than any other form of tip or instruction I've received.

Previously, I was buried in Ibanezes and other shred guitars, with the occasional Epi LPs. I started by playing stuff from Tesla, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, White Lion, Whitesnake etc etc... Then I progressed to Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen, ending with the musically and technically frightening Dream Theater.

Afterwhich I began writing various instrumentals with my then 3 piece Instrumental Prog Rock wannabe band. We threw in odd time signatures and different keys in one passage just for the sake of it. It sounded good at that time.

Back then, I mainly crafted the instrumentals part by part, and the general melodies were comprised as mini solos put together. Of course, with a band, it's more dynamic, and the music takes on a different shape by the time you're all done.

I stopped playing for a short while (about a year) to concentrate on other things, like collecting watches, modding my car, etc etc. Basically I got distracted.

I then returned to the guitar after realising there's no way I could find the same sense of fulfillment in those 2 things. It's just not as rewarding or as gut wrenching. And crashing a car isn't like breaking a guitar string...

Then I came to this forum and I lingered a while, looking for ways an means to get information on strats, learning about why this revered instrument was so different from the rest (I haven't even begun touching Teles yet!!!!)

I've learnt that strats are inherently great sounding instruments because of the original blueprint, regardless of brand. A Suhr strat, or a Warmoth/AllParts parts-o-caster can both sound amazing. It doesn't have to be Fender to sound great, but there's so much romance about the brand itself, that one can't resist when you find a well made Fender Stratocaster. And I've learnt not to be a snob about being a Fender MIA fanboy...

But when it comes to playing, I learnt something else.

I've learnt from playing with the jamzone tracks, recording myself and listening back, that I have problem playing in time. Also, my tone needed a bit of work. So I bought a metronome and started practicing fingering and picking coordination with one. Which is why, my later tracks seem to be more well syncopated with the track than the earlier ones... whahahaha... The tone bit... err... That needs more work and trial & error.

Remember I used to craft my melodies as mini solos put together? From my current clips, I still do that. And I find it quite hard to do it any other way. But there are some players (Refin, Fezz, Clay, PC, etc etc... All of you guys, you know who you are... Take a bow.) who can sit down, play their hearts out with ONE take (that's what it sounds like), and seem to sound as if they know what they're doing right from the 1st note to the last! That's something I realised I can't do! I have to learn this somehow...

It's something I thought would be 2nd nature, but unfortunately, it's not. I realised that I never listened to the backing tracks once though to get ideas. I always heard the beginning, skipped a few bits, and skimmed thru the end to get a rough idea, but I never sat down to try to picture the entire track in my head. I really need to do that. To compose something fully and have a rough road map before laying ANY tracks down. That's something I learnt HERE.

The Jamzone culture is good because it makes the individual guitarist evaluate his own playing. I know I'm doing that. And (I think) it's making me a better guitarist. This forum pushes you to want to be better, and shows you what and where you need improvement. As long as you want to learn, there will always be people here who are willing to help. It's as if everyone here studied the Art of Zen Guitar (yeah. I got the book too! Another great contribution of TFF!!!)

Furthermore, there's nothing like this I've found on any other forums where the average mental age seems to be 3 years old. Here, everyone's like a good friend, always willing to extend a hand. (ok ok, opinions can differ, but at least we agree to disagree!)

So, thank you guys! It's a great place, and I'm so glad I found the TFF!!!

(P.S. If the site needs fund contribution for maintenance, or T-Shirts, let me know. I think after taking so much from the forum, I should give something back!)

Re: Things I've learnt so far from the Jamzone (Thanks guys!!!) - long post...

Nice post.

It may sound like one take... but isn't very often in my case.

Praxis makes perfect.

HR's use of the term toward music really squares with what happens when I write a song.
    I hear it first, maybe not complete, then write things down, then learn to play it.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

"PRAXIS: to learn by doing-- take action. Go sit down with a band and play. You hear a song--play it. There are two classic theories of learning. Study the theory, and then get the music out of it. In Praxis it's the other way around. You go to the music first, start doing it, then extrapolate the theory after you are doing it.

Another thought. Guitar players tend to live in this sea of how to play like this guy and like that guy I and they never get to address the subject of the music that's within them. Music is internal. We need to learn how to get it out. It turns out that just about everybody on the planet walks around with music running through their heads all day long. I've come up with the theory that the music is within. We don't bring it in; it's already there. We have to figure out how to get it out."

Howard Roberts
    I seem to have been Praxis-ing all my life... whahaha... In fact, I'm still doing it!!!

I think I'm at the stage where I'm actually getting the internal music out. I've got this far. But it's not fully developed yet. Just have to keep on Praxis-ing!!!!

BTW, who's Howard Roberts?

Quote Originally Posted by clayville View Post
    It may sound like one take... but isn't very often in my case.
    Consider me fooled...

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    He only has two different signature Gibson's and is probably the most recorded guitarist in history. He founded GIT, was a major contributor to Guitar Player Magazine when it was actually worth reading, a repsected Jazz artist, and he taught me how to play. He was the greatest guitarist I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.
    ooo... ok... 3 year old response coming... wait for it...

"uhh... Can he shred faster than Vai?"

Whahahahahaha!!!!

Ok ok ok... I'll go check him out. seriously... I've never heard of him, or heard him. No joke.

Forum Member

HR gave a class as part of Dick Grove's School of Music's master guitar series, when I was there in 1974/1975. He spent most of the class talking (and smoking a lot too!). Finally someone asked if he would play us something. I remember he said he didn't know many tunes (a complete lie), and played us the most amazing chord solo on Wave you could imagine.

In his day, he could have made Steve Vai cry like a little girl, but...he wouldn't have done that. He was too gracious, and too much of a real musician to do that. Seriously, he was the most amazing guitarist I've ever seen.

PS you've heard him. You just don't know it.
    That was a 40 year old answer to a 3 year old question. Heh.

Ok. I'll go take a look. See where I've heard him before.

You ever seen M*A*S*H*, Bullitt, The Beverly Hillbillies, I Dream Of Jeannie, The Monkees, Get Smart, Batman, Hawaii Five-O, Bonanza, The Brady Bunch, The Jetsons...? I could go on forever. I'm not kidding, he didn't talk about it alot, but he was on everything that spilled out of the television or film in the 50', 60's, and 70's. His recorded out put as a sideman, as well as a solo artist is voluminous as well.

Check this out: HR Discography.
    Yeah... I did some research, and I realised he did those TV tunes I liked so much. Quite scary. Yet he's a jazz guitarist. That's cool man. got to go find some of his albums to hear.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    ...Yet he's a jazz guitarist.
    HR was a guitarist. Not just jazz.