Thread: Why is the TS808 $90 than the TS9....

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

Why is the TS808 $90 than the TS9....

I like the TS9 more.

Thoughts?

Re: Why is the TS808 $90 than the TS9....

I have a TS9DX, and I like it just fine!

Why?

Because people will pay it.

Because guitarists believe "earlier is always better."

Because guitarists believe "cosmetically identical is the same as identical."

Because guitarists believe in the magic of Stevie.

Because some folks believe that a mass produced TS pedal can sound better than the "overpriced" handbuilt Fulldrive TS pedal at the same price.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Heck, I had a TS10 that I bought for $25 that lasted me for at least 3 years before I got a TS9. I loved that TS10. A buddy had a TS5 (the cheap soundtank one) and we A/B'ed it with my TS9 and, for all intents and purposes, could not distinguish a difference...

Use your ears, not your bucks, to determine what is good for you...
    I bought the Dunlop Crybaby instead of the Vox V847 wah. Why? Because, when I tried them side-by-side, they both made a cool wah sound, both perfectly valid, both classic, both controllable (i.e. no serious problems within the travel of the pedal and the width of the sweep).

Both pedals are made by Dunlop. I saved $30.

A buddy serves Yeungling lager. I generally drink Sam Adams when I go to a bar, and (believe it or not) I really like Miller High Life; it's what I keep in my fridge. When I'm at his place, I don't turn down the offered Yeungling...when he comes over here, he drinks my Miller without complaint. Beer's beer.

Wah's wah.

Tube Screamers, by and large, produce a mid-humped, mild overdrive that many people like.

Why spend more?

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Because it comes with a hat, or at least the impression that you're wearing one.

You want SRV in a quality box for little money? Get the BYOC Screamer Clone for under $80.

The best part is that you'll learn to modify it to not sound like you're wearing a hat.

My favorite is the kimono mod.
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Because it comes with a hat, or at least the impression that you're wearing one.

You want SRV in a quality box for little money? Get the BYOC Screamer Clone for under $80.

The best part is that you'll learn to modify it to not sound like you're wearing a hat.
    got something against hats, pal?

(lol)
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

It's all hype. The Tone-Lok TS7 is basically identical to the TS9 circuit and is even cheaper, plus it has a nice hotrod switch for more gain and slightly broader response. Believe it or not, the only difference between the TS9 and the TS808 circuit is the value of two resistors on the output stage.

Supposedly, the magic behind the original TS808 and early TS9's was the opamp IC used in the distortion circuit. It's a JRC4558D (though some argue the original, original was the RC4558, made by Raytheon). This was a very common low cost audio opamp in its day and was used in many Japanese-made consumer electronics. That opamp was discontinued at one point so instantly the original TS808 and TS9s became highly sought after as "vintage".

The JRC4558 opamp is once again available, although many people insist that it does not sound the same as the original. Hence you will find original NOS 4558's at ridiculous prices on flea-bay.

I found some original 1980 date code JRC4558D's in an old JVC VCR that I had gutted (I always pull circuit boards out of my old electronics, they have a treasure trove of components) so I transplanted one into my DIY TS808 clone for comparison. I could not hear a difference, however I did leave it in the circuit so I would feel better. Robert Keeley likes to use the TI4558 and claims it gives a sweeter, more harmonically rich tone.

YMMV
    "Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so" -- Douglas Adams
    "If something has a 1 in a million chance of occurring, 9 times out of 10 it will happen" -- Terry Pratchett

Forum Member

The BYOC Screamer kit now comes with three op amp chips: a JRC4558D, RC4558P, and a TLC2272.

I started out with the JRC4558 just to have everything built to the original TS808 spec. I tried the RC4558P, though, and liked it better. Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I switched back to the JRC4558 for a bit, but now I'm back to the RC4558P.

Never did try the TLC one. I'm sure I will eventually, but I'm liking what I've got now.

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    got something against hats, pal?

(lol)
    Depends on how they're used. If you're riding a horse, playing ball, fishing, etc... they're great!
    I don't even own a horse!

I'll admit that I bought the TS808 reissue based on the hype.

But I like it a LOT!!!
    Sounds great with my SFTR!
    I'm no Stevie Ray Waughanabee, I just think it completes my signature sound. YMMV.
    Last edited by flintpunk; 08-11-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

I am a happy owner of an originl TS-9 and a reissue. I can't tell the difference. I had a TS-5 and a TS-9. On the cheaper models, the switches were unreliable and went quickly. Soundwise, they were fine.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I've tried the new opamps that came in the BYOC Screamer Clone as well as a 1980s JRC4558D and I don't hear much of a difference.

My 1982 AD-9 has a JRC4558D in it and sounds sweet.

I have a TS9 reissue that I modded to 808 spec, and I also have a don't-even-know-how-old-it-is-beat-to-shit TS808 that I resurrected after a friend gave it to me broken.

I can't tell the difference. They both sound fine.

Betcha I couldn't tell the difference between the 9 reissue and the new 808s either. Probably reflects more poorly on me and my ears than anything else, but what my ears tell me is that it's all hype.

J

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Use your ears...
    I really like Miller High Life...Wah's wah.

Tube Screamers, by and large, produce a mid-humped, mild overdrive that many people like.

Why spend more?
    here here!
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

That requires a decent amp.

I removed the overdrive pedal from my board when I got my 5E3 clone. I don't miss it at all, neither does my band. It was there to give my sound the dirt that it naturally gets now.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Dig this. I turn up my amp, and I turn down the guitar. For solos I turn the guitar up. Wow! What a great lead sound! How have they been keeping this a secret for so long?

I need a 5e3, I guess. Wish I knew someone who would build one...

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Dig this. I turn up my amp, and I turn down the guitar. For solos I turn the guitar up. Wow! What a great lead sound! How have they been keeping this a secret for so long?

That's quite curmudgeonly.

But seriously, did the OD pedal come into vogue around the time when the trend was also to use super giant/loud amps, even if you weren't playing arenas?
    I'm not talking fuzztones and such, but overdrives.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

The first overdrives I recall were things like the DOD 250, which was around 1978 or so, when I first noticed them, and they'd been around certainly longer than that.

Clean boosts, like the Electro-Harmonix LPB, the S-Hawk, and the Stratoblaster were available in the early 70's. If you want to go earlier than that, there were the treble boosters Rangemaster and other British versions from the mid-late 60's.

The US version of the treble booster was the early-late 70's Electro-Harmonix "Screaming Audience. "
    orange picks

No kidding!
    In fact, grab the GGG plans to build one from scratch and build it for about $30. You'll pay more for the hat.
    "I bet your Momma was a tent-show Queen ..."

I've tried the new opamps that came in the BYOC Screamer Clone as well as a 1980s JRC4558D and I don't hear much of a difference.

My 1982 AD-9 has a JRC4558D in it and sounds sweet.
    The chips I have are marked MC4558 109C. Suppose this would work, or is there something I don't know? I'm thinking of using it to make a clone.

Forum Member

I think any dual op-amp in that "family" will work in the circuit...but some will sound a lot better than others. If you build a TS808 clone, you might want to use an IC socket rather than hard-soldering the chip to the PCB. That way you can easily swap out chips until you get one you like.

I wouldn't bother trying to find a "vintage" JRC4558; a new one will cost less and work identically.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg