Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Baja down...

Re: Another Baja down...

Considering how long a Tele has been a Tele and how long mankind has been producing fairly simple circuits that do something when you push a single button, you'd almost think a warranty for such a simple product would be moot.

"Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    That's why EE's learn to never, ever say, "It can't be that. That can't happen."
    I think the EEs that I work with skipped that class.

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    Well, my Baja is down now too...

When you press the S1 switch, there is a noticable volume drop and the differences in switch positions are very slight, not like before. I took it in for repair under warrantee. Luckilly the service center nearest to me is Motor City Guitar and they have a fantastic reputation. I hope the repair doesn't take long...I love that guitar. The problem does have me considering other p'up options should the thing crap out once the warrantee is over though.
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma.......but the more switches,bells,and whistles on a guitar/amp,the more trouble you're gonna have.I knew that push switch on the volume was gonna be a hacker when it came out.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Got a call from the tech today...S1 switch replaced, problem still there! He also found the two caps were soldered in backwards and one had the wrong value. He corrected that situation and the problem is still there. I guess Fender wants the guitar back now because now they are suspecting their Custom Shop pickups which "REALLY never go bad". Great. I wonder how long I'll be waiting now. I hope the tech doesn't ship the guitar to Fender in my case or I'll probably never see that again. When did I first post about this problem?
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Forum Member

Damn. I can't believe it's taken this long just to get to the "must be the pickups" point. I feel for you, man.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

""Got a call from the tech today...S1 switch replaced, problem still there! He also found the two caps were soldered in backwards and one had the wrong value. He corrected that situation and the problem is still there. I guess Fender wants the guitar back now because now they are suspecting their Custom Shop pickups which "REALLY never go bad". Great. I wonder how long I'll be waiting now. I hope the tech doesn't ship the guitar to Fender in my case or I'll probably never see that again. When did I first post about this problem?"""

Must have been ojt day in old meheco.

peace

As of today, new pickups are on the way, sort of. The neck pickup has a 30 day wait...I'm guessing they have to hand wind it (at a rate of about 10 wraps per day)? It is a "custom shop" Twisted Tele. I guess Fender really wanted the whole guitar, but I didn't want to chance getting a dud in exchange. It would have taken about the same amount of time and the tech talked Fender into sending p'ups. Man, I really want my guitar back! Next time, I'm either buying vintage or building a parts-caster!
    ...and on the 8th day, God created the Super Reverb and there was ROCK, and it was GOOD!

Bummer I would be pissed!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    How can a cap be soldered in backwards? WTF?

maybe it's the eric johnson mod...

i'm with you uncle fezz, whenever they've tried to sell me the "extended warranty" i laugh my ass off and then tell them that within a week it'll be void. thanks.

sorry to detract, hope things work out for ya.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    How can a cap be soldered in backwards? WTF?
    Actually, I could probably do that.
    Elvis Costello

Called the tech today. One p'up is in, still waiting on the other. Fender says 2 more weeks. I can't wait to get my dang guitar back!

The switching seems to be a week spot. A Guitar mag reader had reported similar problem. This is reflected in my choice of the 60's classic I bought on monday. I Liked the Baja's I tried but there were just too many questions about reliability.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
    C. S. Lewis

www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...36&ref=profile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6070659...7626159170245/

Quote Originally Posted by flintpunk View Post
    Called the tech today. One p'up is in, still waiting on the other. Fender says 2 more weeks. I can't wait to get my dang guitar back!
    Damn!
    If the necks on these weren't so nice, I'd have a tough time putting up with this pace. Such a great playing guitar.
    Elvis Costello

Yep.

Hey La, Hey La, my Baja's back!!!

Just picked it up. Sounds sweet too! 2 days short of 4 months in warranty repair. Thanks Fender. I've got a new 4-way switch, and a new S1 switch, but the problem was with the Custom Shop Broadcaster bridge pickup that was on backorder. I'm guessing they must wrap 2 or 3 turns a day on those things, cause they take forever to get them to you! But dayyyum, it sounds good! I love having all those sounds in a Tele! The neck kills too! These things are nice!

Forum Member

Congrats! I'm glad it's playing and sounding good; they sure made you wait long enough for it.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

Forum Member

Wow, four months. My Tele was gone for 2 months, and I was about to die.

Glad you got it back. Now play the shit out of it!

Right on! It's going to a company Christmas party gig on Saturday night. I'll probably bring that one and the '74 and something else tuned to open G. Wow, 2 teles on one stage! That will be fun!

glad things worked out for ya FP! and congrats again on the 74!

Thanks Chuck-O! The finish on that '74 is really growing on me. Isn't that wierd? I paid for a Strat relic and I was bummed about the finish on the '74...What's up with that? If that thing was pristine, I couldn't gig with it! I can play that thing for another 40 years and I'll never hurt it any worse than it already is!

I've been watching this thread because the Baja's really look interesting to me, but.....

Glad you finally got it all worked out. However, if it had been me in your situation, I would have simply requested the tech install stock Tele electronics from another guitar until the replacement parts arrived. That way I could have kept playing it until then. For just a little money, you could have gotten a prewired pickguard loaded from GFS for the temp swap.

I know this is all hindsight, and you probably never anticipated the 4 month turnaround at the beginning, otherwise you might have done something different.
    POO DAT!!!

That would have been a good idea. I wound up gigging with my Strat and using my daughter's Charvel and Steinberger for backup at first. Later, I bought the 2 Juniors and then the '74, so I was covered. It was a pain in the rear, but I got through it.

When I first got the Baja, I felt like I could cover all the bases with just that and my Strat, so I sold off a bunch of guitars. When the Baja went down, it jammed me up a bit. I came back to my senses and bought a bunch of guitars again. What was I thinking? Everyone here knows you can't have too many guitars!

ugly guitars seem to be the opposite of ugly women, one you'd love to be seen out in public with, and the other you dread even having your name mentioned with...LOL.

but seriously, my musicmaster bass is ugly as all hell, has some dead spots, but is still a sweety to play. she mainly sits at the house and gets thumped on once in awhile, but i wouldn't have it any other way.

I think now you pretty much HAVE TO leave the black on the '74, so you can tell them apart on stage.

Last edited by NeoFauve; 12-07-2007 at 12:38 PM.
    Elvis Costello

Excellent point!!! I'll post some pics of the pair!

Forum Member

Can't wait to see the two together.