Thread: Jeff Beck...what pedal?

Forum Member

Jeff Beck...what pedal?

Does anybody know what kind of Boost pedal Jeff Beck was using on the Jeff Beck Group "orange album?" He's using the stripped '54 Strat on that album and alot of the time it sounds to me like Strat straight into a Marshall. But on some parts his guitar seems boosted, having more gain and sustain, but still sounding like a Strat. And no where near a fuzzy sounding as a Tone Bender, which he used with the Yardbirds and the first JBG (w/Rod.)

Forum Member
    I've read that he used a Colorsound Overdriver for most of the 70s. I have a Prescription Electronics Overdriver, which is a clone of the Colorsound model, and with a Strat and a Marshall am able to approximate that 70s JB sound.
    -jan

Forum Member
    I'm going to have to check out the PE Overdriver. I'm not really trying to copy that sound, but I do like it and I'm looking for a good boost to use with my Strat and my Marshall. I've also considered trying the MXR Micro Amp.

jeff beck

i think jeff beck used a proco rat distortion pedal i heard that he used one when he jammed with slash on a guns/rosses tour i seen the pedal on the floor in front of a half stack 50 watt marshall i dont kno how long proco rat pedals been in existence but he might have been using one of them for a long time he does use them i read in a guitar magazine

they didn't exist when the orange album was made. joe wolf:

wolfpack111@charter.net

a.k.a. "Retroman" is making me a Sola Sound Tonebender mkII clone with 3 mullard germaniums, tentatively called the "Soul-O." the tonebender is the pedal beck used in the late 60's & early 70's. i don't think beck used a rat until the 80's, which would account for the crappy tones on albums like "flashback." you can probably tell that i detest rats.

i'll report back when i get the "Soul-O." i also own one of joe's "Beano" treble boosts, which are a recreation of the Dallas Rangemaster (the sound of clapton in the bluesbreakers, the Beano album in particular. page & brian may also used one). and he uses a mullard OC44 germanium, which is crucial to the richness it attains. he's added extra features that everyone else seems to be copping, like a 3-way toggle for full range, treble, & "brilliant" (even more trebly!), and his patented "Hiss-Buster" circuit & pot, which rolls off top end, as treble boosts can be notoriously "hissy"; his isn't, but the feature is very useful as a further tone shaping device.

as for the tonebender, a lot of companies are making clones these days. but that's the sound yer after.

ml
    Last edited by badmuddy; 08-27-2003 at 08:00 AM.
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

deleted
    Last edited by badmuddy; 08-27-2003 at 07:56 AM.
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre