Thread: Mmmm.... shiny....

Mmmm.... shiny....

So my new resonator arrived yesterday and I used it extensively last night in a pit orchestra rehearsal for a show I'm doing this weekend.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d2...g?t=1184782064

It's a Republic. I was eyeballin' a National Delphi but this thing had all the features I was looking for at 1/3 the price. I haven't played a Delphi but I doubt it sounds 3 times better.

Decent quality, gorgeous growly LOUD sound and a pretty finish. I'm happy.

I don't think I'll need to amplify it for the show since the acoustic guitar is only needed in some of the quieter numbers and this sucker can project. However, when I play it for church I will need to put it into the PA.

So... any suggestions on how to amplify it?

I have about given up on getting an acceptable sound out of a piezo system. I'd much rather mount a mic inside it or something like that.
    s'all goof.

Re: Mmmm.... shiny....

edit: Fishman makes a pickup for resonators... both buscuit and spider bridge.

They have an active or passive version:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=50

My Hounddog Deluxe Dobro (Gibson/Dobro) had the fishman system and I thought it worked fine. Mine was the passive one. If I had puchased it myself I would have gotten the active model.

Greg
    It's all about Tone!!

Gravity Jim

Since it projects so well, why not just hang a mic in front of it?

Jerry Douglas uses a Shure KSM32, but any mic would prob'ly work.

GIving up on peizo systems is a good idea. I think they all sound like hell.

that might make a fine weapon, almost as good as a tele
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

It is a heavy metal guitar. My Tammy Lou Tele is actually lighter.

I hear what you're saying, Jim, and I'm inclined to agree. Seeing as the KSM32 retails for $550 or so, is there anything more in the cheap-ass region you'd recommend? I actually have an SM57 hanging around which I could experiment with. Something tells me it's not going to do the trick though. I'd probably have to remain rock still about 2 inches from the mic for it to work consistently.
    s'all goof.

Curtis, where did you find the Republic?

Gravity Jim

I think an SM57 would be a fine starting point. I mic'ed my guitar with a 58 through most of my solo days (back then they didn't have cheap condensers) and it sounded fine. Seriously, you're talking about some huge projection off that guitar, and a pretty narrow frequency range, too... you don't have to be right on top of a 57 for it to work, even though that's how they get used a lot of the time.

But if you felt like spending a buck, an inexpensive condenser would be a good choice... maybe a small-d version like a Shure KSM109, or a cheap large-d mic like an AT2020 (99 bucks). Those are going to need phantom power, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    Curtis, where did you find the Republic?
    I was following various eBay auctions for resonators. I noticed this one dude was a retailer and had many different models for sale. None was quite what I was looking for so I emailed him. That started a conversation that eventually led to me ordering one directly from him.

Guy's name is Frank Helsley and his email is fr52he at yahoo dot com.

Jim - thanks for the advice. I'll give the SM57 a try. In my last band the bassist was really gay for the SM57 and insisted we use it for vocals. It was good for rejection of unwanted sounds and we never had feedback problems but you had to be right up on the thing to be heard. Move an inch to the side and you were lost. I guess I was just trying to picture playing the guitar like that.
    s'all goof.

Curtis, Thanks for the info.

Yes, I agree. But you know what's sad? They're so ubiquitous for live acoustic guitar these days that their horrid thwacky plastic "tone" has become the acceptable standard for amplified acoustic tone.

I mean, if you look at Boss' acoustic simulator pedal, there's actually a setting for "piezo" - as if somebody would want that sound!

By the way, I haven't gotten around to trying the SM57 with it yet. Why? Lazy.
    s'all goof.

the 'peizo' sound is like nails on a chalk board to me. Wanna make a $2000 accoustic sound like a $120 accoustic? All you need is a peizo transducer!
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?