Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maple neck vs. maple/rosewood on Strats.

Forum Member

Re: Maple neck vs. maple/rosewood on Strats.

I like the feel that a Rosewood board (Gibson Les Paul man here) gives to the Fender maple neck - as long as it's nitro-finished. I don't like the feel of poly (gloss or satin) on any neck. I would like to try bonding with an all nito finished maple neck...perhaps on a Tele some day...

Forum Member

I prefer rosewood on a Strat and maple on a Tele.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    What do you mean by "Although?" "Even though they were completely different musicians playing through two completely different amps, you could still hear a slight difference in tone, which I attribute to the fretboard material."

I think what you were hearing was the difference between John Mayer and Eric Clapton, not the difference between rosewood and maple.
    Guitarist style was factored into my opinion and my ears. The above example was for those who saw the performace and only used as an example between the two types of guitar necks. Guitarist style and amps were factored into my opinion.

If the person who started the thread wants to know what the two types of guitar neck will sound like, he should try both and decide for himself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Yep. That there is a laywer "although."

"Although my client was found holding the butcher knife dripping with the victims blood and was shrieking 'I finally killed the bastard,' we strong urge the jury to find him not guilty."

Not a lawyer but I do have a college degree.

Oh...................And laywer is spelled lawyer.

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks, after college, law school and 12 years as a laywer, I guess I should've learned to spell it. Consider me sorted out.

Forum Member

Well here comes a stir for the pot.
    Maple capped board, vs. 1piece maple,vs. rosewood veneer,vs. slabboard rosewood,vs. whether or not have walnut skunk stripe or not, vs. thin neck, thick neck, small headstock, large headstock.
    There are more variables than simple maple vs. rosewood when it comes to tone, or tone percieved.
    Isaiah 38:20
    --------------

What about maple with a nitro finish?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

I have had several of each, as have many other people on this board. Maple is definitely brighter and rosewood seems punchier. If I had to have one, I'd probably pick rosewood, but I would never complain about having maple.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I wonder if guys on car forums debate the tonal properties of coated vs. non-coated headers on their exhaust systems? Just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by JUSTJOB View Post
    Well here comes a stir for the pot.
    Maple capped board, vs. 1piece maple,vs. rosewood veneer,vs. slabboard rosewood,vs. whether or not have walnut skunk stripe or not, vs. thin neck, thick neck, small headstock, large headstock.
    There are more variables than simple maple vs. rosewood when it comes to tone, or tone percieved.
    You forgot Glue in Skunk Stripe vs. Wood Filler in Skunk Stripe...

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post
    I wonder if guys on car forums debate the tonal properties of coated vs. non-coated headers on their exhaust systems? Just wondering.
    No, but they debate on the amount of stickers on their cars to increase their ponies...

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    What about maple with a nitro finish?
    That's actually my fav... mainly because of the feel, rather than the tone. I do think there is a slight difference between maple vs rosewood, but it's not quantifiable, and therefore to me not so much of which is brighter than the other, but rather, which I like better.

Somehow, my ears tend to veer towards maple, and nitro is a must for me... (hence the 57 Hotrods being my fav...)