Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i was drowned out...

i was drowned out...

i finally got the chance to jam with the deluxe reverb, and i was drowned out by the drums and the other guitarist, who has no knowledge of turning an amp down. i was doing lead, and tried to have my amp above his, but his kept getting cranked and the drums just drowned it all out.

my best (and most realistic) move amp-wise would be to buy a cheap tube head for that marshall cab i have.

any opinions on one? i'm looking at a peavey windsor...

Re: i was drowned out...

If you have a PA system mic the DRRI and keep the incredible tone it has, get the other guys to to play softer, or get a Twin and be done with it. Why lug around a cab? What kind of music do you play? See if you can use the the Marshall cab with the Deluxe Reverb. It'll move more air and make the amp sound a bit louder. Watch the impedence on the cab.

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    If you have a PA system mic the DRRI and keep the incredible tone it has, get the other guys to to play softer, or get a Twin and be done with it. Why lug around a cab? What kind of music do you play? See if you can use the the Marshall cab with the Deluxe Reverb. It'll move more air and make the amp sound a bit louder. Watch the impedence on the cab.
    well, we're feeling the music out. yesterday, the most productive thing was black sabbath, but we were attempting stuff like eve 6 and 3 doors down. so, probably classic rock and 90s alternative. i was told to go against adding a cab to the drri because it would make it sound "weaker"....i have no idea. but that's what a worker in a local music shop told me.

It just depends on the impedance of the cab you have. If the other guys are pushing heavy wattage the DRRI won't cut it without being put through the pa. I used a 100 watt SF Twin for years and never had a problem cutting in any situation. Great amp. Before that I had a Sunn Scepter. That was another solid amp.

I've never heard that adding an ext. cab (proper impedence) would make an amp sound weaker. Someone explain that one to me.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Quote Originally Posted by concert410 View Post
    I've never heard that adding an ext. cab (proper impedence) would make an amp sound weaker. Someone explain that one to me.
    didn't make sense to me either. that's why i wanted another opinion. as i said in a previous topic, the other guy has a marshall mg half stack and it just blew mine away once the drums kicked in.

i don't really want to get rid of the amp, because i love it's tone. but the volume thing is kicking it in the ass.

It seems like the other guitarist was trying to push a larger amp to achieve the same tonal qualities you were getting at less volume. This caused the drummer to bang harder to be heard above the den of noise created by the other guitarist. In other words, volume wars.

I would think pushing the 4x12 cab with the drri would get you some more volume by pushing more air. I know with the Epiphone Valve Jr (5 watts) and the Epi 1x12 speaker cab, it's a fairly loud little amp, but you can still talk to someone else in the same room. A Blues Jr overwhelmed it in volume. Connected to a Carvin 4x12 cab, the Valve Jr exploded with volume and held its own with a Marshall MG50 with 1x12.

All that being said, the drri is doing what it's supposed to do, deliver great tone at non ear splitting volumes that can be mic'd or patched into an external cab for more ummph. The other guitarist probably can't get the same quality of sound without driving the volume into insane levels of SPL. Can't say for sure because we don't know what he's using for an amp.

Edit - You just said what he's using, a 100 watt Marshall MG. I think with a 4x12 cab and the drri you'll be plenty loud.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post
    It seems like the other guitarist was trying to push a larger amp to achieve the same tonal qualities you were getting at less volume. This caused the drummer to bang harder to be heard above the den of noise created by the other guitarist. In other words, volume wars.

I would think pushing the 4x12 cab with the drri would get you some more volume by pushing more air. I know with the Epiphone Valve Jr (5 watts) and the Epi 1x12 speaker cab, it's a fairly loud little amp, but you can still talk to someone else in the same room. A Blues Jr overwhelmed it in volume. Connected to a Carvin 4x12 cab, the Valve Jr exploded with volume and held its own with a Marshall MG50 with 1x12.

All that being said, the drri is doing what it's supposed to do, deliver great tone at non ear splitting volumes that can be mic'd or patched into an external cab for more ummph. The other guitarist probably can't get the same quality of sound without driving the volume into insane levels of SPL. Can't say for sure because we don't know what he's using for an amp.

marshall mg 100 half stack.

like i said, i think it might be a volume war because the drummer is loud as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mesotech View Post

Edit - You just said what he's using, a 100 watt Marshall MG. I think with a 4x12 cab and the drri you'll be plenty loud.
    so run the drri through the marshall cab?

what about a thd cab? i've heard a lot of good things about that.

I wouldn't use a Deluxe Reverb in that kind of band.
    Maybe an old 50 watt JCM800 combo.

Don't get rid of your amp if you can help it. It will come in handy later. I had the same problem at one time. I moved up to a larger Fender and never looked back. I still have that Fender, but I also have a 50 Watt Marshall JCM 800, a Sunn T50c and a Mesa F-30. All those amps are run with matching ext. cabs. NO ONE drowns me out with any of those rigs.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

What you'd be looking for in a cab is effiecent speakers, and above all else, proper impedence. Since you say you already have a Marshall cab, give that a whirl before you start thinking of spending more money. If you find you need to spend more money on something, you'll then know what it is you're looking for a little better.

If you have the THD available, and it fits the impedence bill, then by all means give it a shot too.
    POO DAT!!!

Don't get rid of your amp if you can help it. It will come in handy later. I had the same problem at one time. I moved up to a larger Fender and never looked back. I still have that Fender, but I also have a 50 Watt Marshall JCM 800, a Sunn T50c and a Mesa F-30. All those amps are run with matching ext. cabs. NO ONE drowns me out with any of those rigs.
    so my best bet is to find a used marshall jcm 800 head? what about the peavey windsor?

"I wouldn't use a Deluxe Reverb in that kind of band.
    Maybe an old 50 watt JCM800 combo."

Exactly!!! My Mesa F-30 has it covered.

The Peavy Windsor should put you over the top volumewise as it is 50 watts? 100 watts? tube power. If you already have the cab, the Windsor sounds like a cost effective way to solve that problem.

"I wouldn't use a Deluxe Reverb in that kind of band.
    Maybe an old 50 watt JCM800 combo."

Exactly!!! My Mesa F-30 has it covered.
    i don't have a lot of money to spend on another amp/head. i just bought this thing. i love it to death but it's not holding up in a band.

that's why i was asking about a peavey windsor. i was told it was like a modded jcm 800, for $400 new. i'd run it through my marshall cab.

EDIT: so that's probably the way to go, unless there's any other suggestions?

Make sure to demo the Peavey to make sure it will sound the way you want it to. Volume and good tone can be two vastly different things.

Make sure to demo the Peavey to make sure it will sound the way you want it to. Volume and good tone can be two vastly different things.
    right. i plan on doing so soon. any other heads i should check out? if not tube, then a good solid state one?

If the DRRI won't cut it than the other folks in the band are too fucking loud..Get a different speaker ie: more efficient that amp should cut like a knife.. Tell them to turn down or say screw it and find other musicians to move forward with.. Sometimes tuff love with other people make all the difference..

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    If the DRRI won't cut it than the other folks in the band are too fucking loud..Get a different speaker ie: more efficient that amp should cut like a knife.. Tell them to turn down or say screw it and find other to move forward with..:
    any speaker suggestions? hopefully one with breakup at a much later stage?

If you want "CHEAP/INEXPENSIVE", I think I saw a massive closeout sale ad going on at MF right now. I might have seen a solid state 120 watt halfstack for less than $400...

Quote Originally Posted by slickcipher View Post
    any speaker suggestions? hopefully one with breakup at a much later stage?
    Webber 12F150 50 watts doping is up to you..They do take some time too break in.. I think Fezz likes the red fang I have yet to try one but do trust his judgment..

Crate Powerblock. Sounds pretty good. 150W. How much wattage can your cabinet handle?

I got mine for around $79 new.
    They are discontinued so look for a used one.

so, how exactly can one sing over top af a drri running full blast?
    I am impressed.
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

If you want "CHEAP/INEXPENSIVE", I think I saw a massive closeout sale ad going on at MF right now. I might have seen a solid state 120 watt halfstack for less than $400...
    yeah, a crate halfstack. i sorta like the flexwave. that's 500 for the halfstack and i think 400 for the combo.

i've heard those combos tend to be louder than the half stacks...?

what are your opinions on crate? they used to suck mass amounts of ass, but people say they've been working at getting a better product.

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    so, how exactly can one sing over top af a drri running full blast?
    I am impressed.
    believe me, there was no singing. my ears still hurt...i don't know what to do. either i've got a loud ass drummer and a guitarist that's fighting for volume and it will work out eventually, or i'm screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    If the DRRI won't cut it than the other folks in the band are too fucking loud..Get a different speaker ie: more efficient that amp should cut like a knife.. Tell them to turn down or say screw it and find other musicians to move forward with.. Sometimes tuff love with other people make all the difference..
    I was thinking that myself!

If the guys in your band are that loud, you will never get the Deluxe Reverb to cut. No matter what speaker is in it. Part of being in a band is to have a great mix. One clown that won't work towards that goal will ruin the whole mix. Believe me, I've been in bands where I ran multiple cabs and heads at ear splitting volumes and all I got was Tinnitus. I wouldn't wish that on anybody. Tell him to turn it down or take a hike.

Did you try elevating the amp?

I have my HRD on a stand that angles it up about 45 deg, it helps a lot. Or you could just stick it on a chair.

If you still get drowned out then, your buddy with the stack needs to turn it down.

Stratcat55 has hit the nail on the head. So did boobtube21. Someone mentioned the Crate PowerBlock. That is a great idea!!! I have one in my gig bag as a backup head. Lots of people gave them good reviews and a spare is not a bad thing. Your DRRI should be loud enough. Nothing like a 100 watt Marshall turned to 1.5 so you get asked back for more gigs. Any band can play a venue once. Real pros get MANY bookings.

Quote Originally Posted by slickcipher View Post
    believe me, there was no singing. my ears still hurt...
    That should be the end of the discussion right there.

Volume war? Pain? Really doesn't sound like an amp issue to me.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I hate to rain on your parade but my experience with people like you're describing is that they don't really change. They may play quieter for a while but eventually they revert back to form and you're having the same discussions about volume that new amps won't fix. Do you ears and your sanity a favor and bid them farewell....

I'm just sayin...
    Last edited by dmcII; 07-11-2007 at 04:34 PM.

How old are you guys? About 20? in aboout ten years you may "get it"

I'm 43 and have two half stacks and a pile of other amps.

I gig mostly with a Deluxe Reverb.

Good music takes maturity and with that comes listening and dynamics and all the things that make good bands rise to the top (even if it's just a local club scene).

Get earplugs and have fun. Get the Peavey head and use it with you Marshall cab. You can have some fun, but wear your rubbers!

Keep the deluxe as you can use it for the rest of your life. Mine's a 1964 and shows no sign of dying anytime soon.

If you're thinking about going Crate, I don't think you could go wrong with one of these.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY7mvH8wFdE

Two beats into the first measure of the next band practice, I garuantee even the drummer will be asking you to turn it down a little.
    POO DAT!!!

Forum Member

Please tell me that thing was just built as a trade show gimmick!

Slick, I think you might want to listen to the folks saying your amp's not the problem. Any venue your DRRI is too small for will have a P.A. system, and you can mic it and run it through there. Any place small enough that it doesn't have a P.A. for your Deluxe is too small for your Marshall-sporting compadre to be cranking his amp up to the point that it drowns you out.

If you like the DRRI, don't trade it in on a louder, inferior amp just because you want to win a volume war with the other guitarist. Just get the guy to turn it down, and get the drummer to stop trying to drown out the guitars.

If your ears still hurt a day after a practice session or gig, you're all playing too loud for your own health -- and too loud to sound very good.

If your bandmates absolutely won't lower the dBs to a level that won't cause pain and drown out your excellent amp, you need new bandmates, not a 150-watt solid-state stack.

Your amp is not the problem.

That being said....
    Get some ear plugs & a Powerblock & go show them what loud is!

There is time for you to play tasteful quiet music when your old.
    (Just get the earplugs)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    How old are you guys? About 20? in aboout ten years you may "get it"

I'm 43 and have two half stacks and a pile of other amps.

I gig mostly with a Deluxe Reverb.

Good music takes maturity and with that comes listening and dynamics and all the things that make good bands rise to the top (even if it's just a local club scene).

Get earplugs and have fun. Get the Peavey head and use it with you Marshall cab. You can have some fun, but wear your rubbers!

Keep the deluxe as you can use it for the rest of your life. Mine's a 1964 and shows no sign of dying anytime soon.

yeah, i'm almost 20. i know, getting a louder amp is probably "immature" and all i need is a deluxe reverb. but i'm just afraid it won't cut... i've had a rough enough time trying to find anyone to jam with. but, it's not worth getting a brand new amp because of it.

so, i'm going to try and get them to turn it down/play quieter, and if it doesn't work, screw it.

i might just get the powerblock, just to keep my drri for home use and to maintain it's condition.

good idea?

Forum Member

Well, there's four Power Blocks on the bay right now if you decide to go that route.

wilko's wisdom is spot on. unfortunately, i had a band break up due to two of the members not understanding that dynamics really help get the music across better than volume. i see someone has suggested what i was about to say, ie. get the drri up about ear level, maybe a road case, the marshall cab, then the drri. i have tinnitus and it's no picnic. i'm sitting herer in a quiet room, typing this post and i have a 4k ringing chime going all the time. if the long run state of your ears and a long term solution of having a band that will last is a priority, maybe you'll know where those guys stand with you if you mention there's no reason to be that loud. elvis costello uses a drri and no cab at his shows he's doing fine.
    Red means run son, numbers add up to nuthin'. - http://www.myspace.com/jeffhoo

1)Get an amp stand. Point the amp at the drummer. He'll hear you fine.
    2) Tell them to turn down. At 20, there's way too many years ahead of you to have to put up with tinnitus.
    3) a DRRI is plenty of amp. Pit against a 19 year old Neil Peart wannabe, and a 5 string bassist with a 350 watt stack...I was killing them at "4" on the volume knob.
    Time wounds all heels.