Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Classic Player ‘60s Stratocaster neck radius???

Re: Classic Player ‘60s Stratocaster neck radius???

Well, I've been playing and gigging since Moby Dick was a minnow. I have owned lots of expensive guitars and I still own a pile with the pickup de' jour, and all the "required" mods. And still, the best playing, best sounding guitar I own is my box stock ASe. Go figure.

Just depends on the gig. For our three guitar lineup I use the Esquire since it occupies a neat sonic space, but when it's two or one guitar, the ASe still holds it's ground with anything I've owned.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by tugboat View Post
    *COUGH* Les Paul Forum *COUGH*

Not that I can say anything about their playing ability. I suck.
    I suck too, but I'm shameless enough to 'let it all hang out' in the JamZone there (and here) from time to time.

Still, even 'modest' guitars can be serious money for many folks in the grand scheme of things -- and sites devoted to them are often about 'obsession' and opinion. It all can get right confusing and/or persuasive from time to time. I've seen folks gain the confidence to take the plunge on a purchase or a mod a thousand times from asking questions like the one this thread asks... and that's a good thing, imho.

And hell, I've been lookin' at varying advice for so long I'm like a deer in the headlights and haven't even molested my Nashville Tele (yet). As far as I can tell, despite the long list of things I *might* do to it someday... it ain't broke.

Forum Member

Well, I guess my playing sucks more than most, but it doesn't mean I don't get excited about a new purchase. Maybe after 40 years I'll be a bit more cynical.

Forum Member

BTW, the sticker on mine said "Modern 9.5" Fretboard Radius" and it's a 2007. Looks like 12" but does feel more rounded than a Les Paul fingerboard, must be an illusion caused by the different neck shape. Neck profile is a comfortable shallow C, a bit like Gibson's 60's slim taper. Not at all chunky.