Thread: Help With Fender Pickup

Forum Member

Help With Fender Pickup

Hello, I just posted his in the bass section too:

I just purchased a beautiful vintage Fender Bass. I need a pickup for it and to know about the original one that would have come with it. It's a '78 Musicmaster bass but it has a vintage strat staggered pole pickup installed. This cannot be original right? I keep seeing things on the net that conflict with what I would believe so I figured I'd come to the place that would know. What is the original type of pickup a '78 Musicmaster should have and does anyone know where I could find one (except the 'Bay ).

Re: Help With Fender Pickup

The original pickup for that instrument was the same pickup as the Mustang/DuoSonic II/MusicMaster/Bronco. A six flat-pole pickup with a black, no-hole cover. People sometimes harvest them to repair the guitars, as they're more sought-after than the basses.

You're going to get a better sound, IMHO, with a rail-type pickup. One of the favored ones is a Duncan Cool-Rails. Chuck-O and I have both used Lawerence L250-types with some success.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Wow, I would have never guessed that they used 6 pole guitar pickups in there! Well, what's in there now is a older staggered pole "strat" pickup. Yeay... looks like I wone. I would still like to find an original. Do you know where I might get one other then eBay?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick View Post
    Do you know where I might get one other then eBay?
    Well, they haven't made them in 25 years. If you want an original, you need to go to Ebay or a Vintage Dealer. Some established guitar stores might have one in their junk box, as a lot of people replaced them in their Mustangs, etc. with hotter pickups back in the 80's, but I'm sure most are hip to the value.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Alright thanks!