Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Get a Marshall?

Forum Member

Why Get a Marshall?

I Think This is about as good a reason as i can explain. It prety much nails the Strat-Marshall tone.I can prety much get this tone with my stock 2204.Heres Yngwie butchering the most famous rock song ever written, but the tone is there- you just have to wait till he does the lead guitar, and his lead is awesome..and dig that crazy 360 degree guitar flip! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5E1ASAUs5U
    Last edited by jerryjg; 06-29-2007 at 07:09 PM.

Re: Why Get a Marshall?

Oi! Bees-in-a-jar tone with that video quality. I'll never get those three seconds of my life back...

DD

awful. just awful.

Forum Member

Made me feel like I just walked into the local GC.

I generally like Yng's lead tone, and he can shred like paganini, but have all y'all noticed how badly he butchered the rhythm guitar parts?

Plus, he can't sing, and he barely finished the chorus before the wanking begins. IIRC, there are more verses to that song

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

Forum Member

Sorry. He does nothing for me. I grew up in the 80's and just couldn't distinguish Yngwie from the other shredders. Understand I'm not disparaging his talent. Just the musical genre. I like EVH because he was more or less the first one to open that door and his tone had more definition (after a while he lost me as well) but the other guys just sounded like EVH clones to my ears. Talented, but unoriginal.

My .02....

That sounded like fried ass.
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    That sounded like fried ass.
    I visited that link just to hear what fried ass sounds like.
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

That was horrible in every way.

BTW, if I ever play my guitar from above the neck, please shoot me!

Hey, at least the guy can change it up.

No really, he does a complete 180 into full-on blues mode here:

Ywngie's got the blues

BB King can retire now.

FWIW, I actually like his tone in both videos. Reminds me of Hendrix's sound on "Rainbow Bridge" which I always liked.

Forum Member

BTW, if I ever play my guitar from above the neck, please shoot me!
    Never say never. You could lose your thumbs or something.

Well, to answer the poster's question, I have a Marshall for the "unclean" tone, both for Strat and Les Paul. But I'm glad I'm not producing anything like whats in that video. Maybe the recording was screwed. But Yngwie looked like he enjoyed ruining an otherwise perfectly written and playable song. Shame on you Yngwie! Did you write anything original or do you just horribly cover/copy and butcher? I'll go play one of yours just to f*ck it up, maybe I'll feel better. You're messin' with one of my main tunes from the 70's there.........
    The 5er Driver

Now Annoying In
    ((((((Stereo))))))

Plug that beotch in an' let her rip!

Forum Member

I'd have no trouble at all screwing up Yngwie's "Black Star," but that's because I can't sweep-pick 64th notes.

Quote Originally Posted by boobtube21 View Post

Ywngie's got the blues

BB King can retire now.

FWIW, I actually like his tone in both videos. Reminds me of Hendrix's sound on "Rainbow Bridge" which I always liked.
    Now I see what my problem is, I use my pinky finger too much, whereas he hardly uses his.

I wasn't fond of the tone in either of the videos. Though I must admit, I'm not a fan of Yngwie. The first time I heard him, I thought there was great promise, but he went so far a'stray in my opinion that I just couldn't stomach him anymore. It's not just that he plays fast, and I can't. I always get the feeling while listening to him that he merely recites the (musical) alphabet, uber-fast, but over and over. Aside from A B C D E F G, he doesn't seem to say much. Tone-wise, he tends to make a Marshall sound more like a Peavey Bandit. In the first video, it was bad enough to have to listen to the flury of notes once, but his use of the 400ms delay caused me to have to listen to them twice. Blech.

I appreciate his ability for speed and knowledge of the fretboard, I'm just not a fan of how he employes them.
    POO DAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by refriedwhiskey View Post
    Never say never. You could lose your thumbs or something.
    That's true!

Forum Member

I owned a 70's Marshall Super Lead 100 Plexi which I regrettably sold (but thats another story). But if someone didn't know better, this video might be used as a reason to NOT buy a Marshall.

Hey, at least he wasn't trying to light anything on fire...

Forum Member
    State of GAS: I think I may be moving to Happytown

Dude is and always will be a douche

I don't get a big rush from his playing, but I vastly admire his stagework. He's a great performer.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Not to nit-pick here, but isn't the main riff of that song played by plucking the two note chords with the fingers rather than down stroke strumming with a pick?
    I'm not a 'Blackmore influenced sweep picking unleash the f#@king fury' douchebag, but even I know that.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

I'm sure this has been posted before but in case you haven't seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuL...elated&search=

Forum Member

Love that one.

"I am so phaht."

Ywngie's got the blues

BB King can retire now.

Here's another example of Malmsteen's tonal and skill thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuLEmWccM

That's almost as funny as this one
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo post #22
    I'm sure this has been posted before but in case you haven't seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tuL...elated&search=

Forum Member

Forum Member

OK dudes. i really dont get the lack of love for Yngwie Here. Let me try to explain this please, so i dont look like a troll here. I know you guys are serious about youre music. Probably you think about the polished performances of "Yes" or the perfection of "Clapton", for instance when comparing this clip. First of all, at the 2;00 minute mark, youll see, if you look very hard, that this is a benefit for something or other. Malmsteen isnt geeting paid for this. Maybe thats why he's having a lot of fun and jokening around.. If you think this guy is some kind of joke(ive seen his early performances criticised here and laughed at when he was only a kid), then i invite you to listen to his album "Rising Force". Its simply amazing.Many people including myself believe he is the greatest shredding performance of all time. But my original post was only to point out the MArshall sound in this Yngwie malmsteen clip.
    Maybe its a bit different, because my computer monitors are 600 watts( two JBL Eon G2's w/ 15 inch woofers).But it was a good choice to point out a typical Marshall master volume sound. It strats out ( yes i did that -its a reverse mistake haha) very thin sounding. This is partly because of the mix. No way Malmsteen had that little bass in his amp tone.. Even the kickdrum sounds weak..yet Marshalls can be thin sounding , so it may have been very anemic -especially wiht a Strat.
    Second, The lead tone, at about 2;00 minuye mark is heavaly processed with delaybut it still gets that scream that marshall is famous for. Its very possible with a stock Marshall..
    At about 2;35 Malmsteen kicks in a wah wah and the sound is that of a dark marshall neck pickup sound -totally stock and with that famous chunka-chunka sound only a marshall can get
    At about 3;25 inot the sound clip Malmsteen kicks in the treble boost. Tbis is what i mainly thought sounded excatly waht I can get with my stock master lead(2204 JCM 800). This is what sounds very real to the stock mMarshall sound-still very bright( ive done mods to reduce the brightness, but it still is bright, especially with single coil Strat).
    At about 4 minutes into the clip,he does the lead finale..thos is pretty much a stock crancked marsall sound-i think its a very good example of a MArshall master volume even at studio volumes.

I posted a link to the Amazing Super God Lesson but only in fun. I happen to think Malmsteen is an incredible guitar player an usually gets a great tone.

I remember hearing him for the first time on the Alcatrazz live album. I honestly could not believe what I was hearing. Almost made me quit playing guitar.

Out of all of the "Shredders" he is my favorite. I love the Strat tone.

Check out this video, it's awsome:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj3ec...elated&search=

He's a very accomplished, if not talented player. Truth is, I don't know much about him, but I remember seeing stuff on him in the guitar mags back in the 80's/early 90's. He certainly seemed to be respected then. I'm also sure he is a perfectly nice guy.

He's just too easy to make fun of.

That and I'm personally not very moved by extremely fast playing. I'm more drawn to emotive, expressive playing rather than athletics and acrobatics. His skills are impressive though, and he is entertaining to watch. Good for him.

Forum Member

He's a very accomplished, if not talented player. Truth is, I don't know much about him, but I remember seeing stuff on him in the guitar mags back in the 80's/early 90's. He certainly seemed to be respected then. I'm also sure he is a perfectly nice guy.

He's just too easy to make fun of.

That and I'm personally not very moved by extremely fast playing. I'm more drawn to emotive, expressive playing rather than athletics and acrobatics. His skills are impressive though, and he is entertaining to watch. Good for him.
    ..and i looked around alot for something that sounded just like a master volume 80's marshall. Much of the older stuff, like Blackmore and Deep Purple was much better playing, but didnt sound like my Marshall. That last couple of minutes in the solo of Malmsteen sounds pretty much like the Marshall I have when playing lead-bright, and just really sounds exactly like it.Im not really saying too much about his skills- except the 360 spin i like.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    Made me feel like I just walked into the local GC.

Malmsteen is a great technical player,but he can't write a song to save his life. I've read tons of articles on him and he just misses the point of being a musician completely. I've read articles on him critizing Grunge musicians (he even called them ugly), and blues musicians, saying he got that blues shit down in a few seconds. I think his ego throws a lot of roadblocks in the way of his career. personally I'd rather listen to Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker or Lightning Hopkins play their blues than listen to a million notes of horseshit played by Malmsteen. He makes me think of Stuart on Mad TV saying "Look what I can do" Oh, Sorry about the double post, I must have missed Hobo's post. Great video though.

Forum Member

Yngwie's a one-dimensional player. He achieved a lot of success because of his technique and showmanship (and I give him credit for that) but that only takes you so far. He's become a parody of himself now.

I agree with stratcat and boobtube. I'd rather listen to someone who can say more with less and whose playing lives & breathes. In the pop realm, guys like David Gilmour, Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the HB), The Edge. And Clapton, SRV, Buddy Guy, BB King on the blues side are all much more interesting. They all have a signature tone & style thats easily recognized but they vary each of these enough to hold the listener's interest. As I get older I've learned that playing with emotion is much harder than it sounds.

It's just SO MUCH FUN to bust on Yngwie Mansteam!
    s'all goof.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisstetka View Post
    It's just SO MUCH FUN to bust on Yngwie Mansteam!

Yeah, he sucks so bad, next thing you know some dipshit guitar company that doesn't know tone or ability from it's own behind will offer a signature model of his.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

I'm not a big fan of original version of SOTW.
    But now I like it a little better.

Y really captured the tone of a suburban GC on Saturday afternoon.
    I've never heard a pro do that.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Yikes......

If you plugged into an '80s Marshall MV,played it through a telephone,and miked that...well,there you have it.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

And now, I do too.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks