Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can I do with this guitar to save it???

Forum Member

Re: What can I do with this guitar to save it???

Sounds dumb, but try a set of Elixir strings. You might not like it but it will sound different. They work pretty well in my opinion.

Do you know if you have a good setup? A bad setup (too low or too much relief) can kill your tone (not to mention intonation but you didn't say that was a problem).

Someone already suggested swapping out the complete wired pickguard from a known good guitar. If you've got a buddy with a strat that could help you out you could quickly isolate to electronics vs. mechanics.

If its mechanics, you've got a lot of parts to play with. Check one thing at a time. I'd start by blocking the trem (do a search for how), changing the springs (or number of springs).

After that there are just too many other possibilities. Others here have thoughtfully mentioned possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilko View Post
    Many people, including Fender, recommend using a block of wood between the block and the butt side of the cavity.
    I, like you, prefer just to tighten it down. Maybe try the wood block for shits and giggles. It may sound good with that guitar..
    hmm... that's interesting... I wonder what the difference will be. I'll try that with my other guitars... might work wonders... heheheh..

Guys, thanks for the numerous suggestions. I gone and done it this time. I sold the Deluxe simply because I found something better... heh...

I found, lying in my local dealer's private room collection, a Hot Rod Vintage 57 Series, in black. It's got a 1 piece maple neck, RIFT-SAWN, Thin-Skin Nitro, and a pretty light body.

It's not as light as my other SunBurst one, but light enough. It feels like a 3.5 pound body. Responds very well, and is a bit warmer than my SB one. I just couldn't resist it...

Strange thing about this guitar is, that the soft "V" neck profile on this one, seems to be softer and more "C" shaped than my SB one. That's a strange inconsistency, but not surprising, considering it's Fender.

Now I just got to decide which new set of pups to throuw in there... heh...

It's with my friend for a set up now... Will post pics when I get it back.
    Last edited by demioblue; 07-01-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Forum Member

Sell it, and get a Les Paul historic, you won't be dissapointed.
    You really need at least one of each.