Thread: Fender Mustang Reissue

Forum Member

Fender Mustang Reissue

Has anyone bought one of those 65 Mustang Reissues? I played one at Guitar Center (the light blue) and I really liked it, but I can't decide between the Daphne Blue or the Dakota Red. If anyone has pictures of theirs, could you post them so I can see the differences between the two colors under different lighting conditions? Thanks.

Forum Member

Re: Fender Mustang Reissue

I just signed up for the forum, and I know this post was made in March, but if you are still looking for some pictures I have some I could send you...just let me know...thanks...KJC

The guy who sits next to me at work has 66 Mustang in Dakota red. The paint looks so bad, we both thought it has been badly refinished. Then we found out it was indeed an factory color and the original factory paint...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I had a '66 Mustang in dakota red. The finish on mine looked nice though the pearloid pickguard had shrunk a bit and the gold (or was it silver?) in the decal had turned green and flaked of a bit.

It came in a cool looking silver sharkskin case.

I didn't care for it's tone and sold it aroung 1986 to buy a '57 reissue Strat.

Mustangs, as cool as they were, were a slight step up from the student model guitars. I remember around 1969 Fender made the Competition Mustang with the cool racing stripe. A guy in our band had one. The neck was ok. Looked cool, but I thought it sounded like ass. Kurt Cobain made them popular again. I didn't like his sound either. There's a lot better guitars out there for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by stratcat55 View Post
    Mustangs, as cool as they were, were a slight step up from the student model guitars...
    ...but I thought it sounded like ass.
    I didn't want to just come out and say it, but...

I agree.

I'm not putting the Mustang down for those who own and like them, but for me I have to I agree, skip the Mustang and buy a Jazzmaster or even maybe a Jaguar if you want a variable body style.

I had a buddy that had one kicking around his basement with a bad bridge pickup, so we replaced it with a Dimarzio FS-1 and strung it with .011s.

It sounded pretty fat and chunky after that. Maybe not the most all-purpose guitar out there, but it had its place.

I resoldered a bad jack connection on one of the new Mustang Bass RI's the other day, and noodled around on it for a while afterwards. It was really pretty nice, overall.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
    -Dave Barry

Sorry, I didn't want to insult anybody. If you play it and like it that's great. It just wasn't for me. For the 700 bucks they get for them you could do a lot better. If you're going to do grunge stuff and use a lot of overdrive, it may just fit the bill.