Thread: One week later with the HRDx

Forum Member

One week later with the HRDx

Well I've had my HRDx for a little over a week now and in that time I've done the research I should've done before buying the amp. I can't believe how many bad reviews this thing gets and all the bashing. Since I bought this at GC I can take it back and get a refund. The problem is there aren't too many budget priced 6L6 1x12 combos that I haven't tried. Should I keep it and mod the hell out of it? Or should I believe the horror stories and run away screaming? Btw, I like the tone I get when I use my Guyatone OD2, so I don't really want to get rid of it. Please tell me that some of you out there have had good experiences with the HRDx.
    2007 ESP Vintage Plus (strat clone w/seymour hotrails in the bridge)

2007 Fender HRDx (GC limited edition w/Celestion Vintage 30)

2007 Fender Champion 600

Re: One week later with the HRDx

I bought my HRD used 3 years ago. The primary reason was that my band was doing 70% outdoor/Beach gigs. I got tired of getting caught in the rain and wiping sea mist from my Vintage amps. After the misery my Super 60 caused me, I promised myself I would NEVER buy another Fender PCB amp !! BUT! I needed something light,Loud and cheap. (Emphasis on cheap) So my amp criteria Shouted HRD. I had to change the 5watt ceramics R78 -R79 due to Burnt Trace Syndrome. Other than that the amp has been just ducky. Last summer I got lazy and put my HRD on the drummers cart as he wheeled it up the ramp to the boardwalk. :HINT:(Never entrust a drummer w/t your gear) The cart hit a bump and my HRD did the triple Lindy off the back of the cart. I thought that's it game over... but low and behold the amp fired up and worked perfect.

I've had my NEW HRDx for a month or two, LOVE it
    Great sounds, I traded my Super60 for it since the Super60 was just too loud for my gigs
    The HRDx has got better tone, better reverb and you can dial in pretty much any of the tones you want with it

I don't use the OD ch, I have pedals to get my OD, Fulltone Fulldrive FDII
    My Guitars
    Fender Strat 96 MIJ 57 RI
    Gibson 92 LP Jr
    Tokai 98 LS-70F Lp Std

Get a qualified tech to raise those resistors (470 ohm/5w) off the pcb, also get him to resolder all pcb's!
    Should only set you back (here in oz anyway) $50-60 by a reputable tech
    After that this amp will be fine for years

Saw another happy HRDX player last night at his gig, he has had it for years with no problems whatsoever!!

My adv would be to leave it alone , just stock standard, until you get used to it, then consider a few mods

Iv'e replaced V3 from a 12ax7 to a 12at7 as it gave me more headroom and a lot more cleaner "FENDER" sound
    Also my speaker after just a few hrs of breaking in, is sounding warmer

There are a few issues with this amp, as you've read, but for the money, I don't think you will be able to get a better sounding VALVE amp anywhere

Relax my friend , you havn't bought a dud!!!!!!!

1) how hard do you use it?
    2) do you feel lucky?

I assume about 50% of those who run 'em hard have trouble.
    You may get lucky, plenty here have been. You do get a 5 year warreny (if that makes you feel any better)

use the 'search function' and form your own opinion / decision
    do I look like I know what I'm doing?

I've had an HRDx about 5 years. Like a previous poster I played a lot of beach gigs. The amp, INMHO, is okay. Acceptable clean channel that respond pretty well to a gain pedal. It is, and has been, a backup amp as my main amp is clearly superior in all respects. For the price these amps are serviceable and at least in my case has been dependable. I purchased it solely for the band I was playing in at the time and while it did the job, I could never find anything about the amp that knocked my socks off. That being said, I haven't found anything in that price range that was any better and because my main amp is a custom built, point-to-point monster I will still use the HRDx on those gigs that I don't want my prime amp exposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by acx77 View Post
    Should I keep it and mod the hell out of it? Or should I believe the horror stories and run away screaming?
    The amp is fun and can sound good.

The amp is known for failing and it's about 50/50 that it will.

You've got the chance to take it back, I suggest you do...don't buy it to mod the hell out of it. If that's what you're prepared for, build an amp from a kit!

In hindsight, I would've put my money into a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Don't let the fact that it's a 6V6 tube steer you away, it's one of the best amps out there of modern construction.

Of course, I build all my amps now...mostly from scratch
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,
    shriveled, meagre, hopping, though loud and troublesome, insects of the hour."

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

Thanks guys. I almost bought the DRRI, but I need something with a master volume. The reason I got rid of my Sovtek Mig 50 and the '59 Bassman RI is because they were too loud. Basically the HRDx meets my requirements: 1x12 combo with 6L6's and a master volume. I don't want to use a THD Hotplate or use pedals for my OD sound (even though the Guyatone OD2 I bought for my Champion 600 gets more use on the HRDx). Right now I just can't afford anything else, so I think I'll make do with the HRDx.
    2007 ESP Vintage Plus (strat clone w/seymour hotrails in the bridge)

2007 Fender HRDx (GC limited edition w/Celestion Vintage 30)

2007 Fender Champion 600

Quote Originally Posted by acx77 View Post
    I almost bought the DRRI, but I need something with a master volume...1x12 combo with 6L6's and a master volume...Right now I just can't afford anything else, so I think I'll make do with the HRDx.
    I'm curious, the Bassman I can see as 'too loud', but the HRDlx is not too far off, it's just 1-12".

The HRD Master Volume isn't a traditional Master Volume though? Well, if it does what you need, then, as we've been saying here, it's all goof!
    "...pray do not imagine that those who make the noise are the only inhabitants of the field;
    that, of course, they are many in number; or that, after all, they are other than the little,

-Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    2) do you feel lucky?
    I can't imagine owning a HRDX and feeling lucky.

BTW, how much does the polish cost when bought in bulk?

-Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger View Post
    I can't imagine owning a HRDX and feeling lucky.

BTW, how much does the polish cost when bought in bulk?

-Mark
    Well, it's not the polish, it's those microfiber rags that don't leave scratches... You want that brown-ness to shine!

I play a HRDv, and it's been great for me. I've done some minor mods, and I have made sure all the solder joints on the tube sockets are secure. I may even change them and make them chassis mounted, and run wires to the PCB, and mount the PCB differently. But that's only if I am feeling really ambitious.

So, like any tube amp, you do have some maintenance that needs to be taken care of, but I do know that these generally have a higher incidence of problems. Now, that could be due to overall number of these amps in service, or it could be some engineering issues. Either way, great amps for the money. Perfect for someone to get into the tube world if they don't have boutique or handbuilt amp money.

As a realist, I am willing to bet we will hear about this amp again.

As a broke as player, I hope you are part of the lucky 50%

As part of the un-lucky 50% - I am pesimistic or maybe just realistic

Seriously - consider your options......If you have an out that doesn't cost you - I would strongly suggest that you consider it and move to the upgrade. It isn't a good feeling when you set up to play somewhere and realize you are hearing any, a combination of or all of the complaints about these amps and you don't have a backup on hand. If you just play at home or in a "jam" setting, it isn't as big a deal. If you are anticipating making any money as a player, consider going a step or three above that thing, or if you like the fender-y sound, the Blues junior seems to hold up a little better I have been told.

Just a thought that I can give based on experience.

From the book of Frank, chapter -Things I would do differently to do over again.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    ...If you are anticipating making any money as a player, consider going a step or three above that thing, or if you like the fender-y sound, the Blues junior seems to hold up a little better I have been told....
    The BJr has some problems with the range at which it runs it's power tubes. It's quite hot, actually, and tends to put some hard miles on the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by rudutch View Post
    I assume about 50% of those who run 'em hard have trouble.
    ?

That just makes no sense at all. 50%? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    The amp is known for failing and it's about 50/50 that it will.
    Thats a hell of an assertion!

50/50?

We all have our opinions, good and bad, about the HRDX. I would like to offer mine.

First, I think the merits of any amp are quite dependent on how the amp will be used. For my use, the HRDX fills the bill fine. I use it mostly here at home at relatively low volume with my Stat and Tele. It may eventually go gigging in some small clubs, and I wouldn't be ashamed to take it out in public. If I were a full-time gigging pro, I would look to another amp. I think the perceived fragility of the HRDX alone would drive me to something else.

I really like the clean channel. I'm sure there are better out there, but the HRDX is fine for me.

Considering how I use the amp, the master volume control is almost a necessity. It allows me to get the gain I sometimes use without rattling the windows.

Many do not like the drive channels. I can get some really good sounds out of mine, even with the stock tubes installed. I find the controls on the guitar just as effective...no, more effective...than the controls on the amp for tweaking the tone of the drive channels. I generally find that I get the best sounds if I roll the tone control on the guitar back a few notches.

I've only owned my HRDX for about six months and have had zero issues. My reading on this, and other forums, convinces me that the HRDX is a mixed bag when it comes to reliability. Some seem to have real good luck...others disaster (my buddy bought one and it died within hours of getting it home.) I'm hoping I got lucky. The biggest issues seem to be the five watt resistors and poor soldering around the tube sockets. I have the ability to fix these, and most other problems, should they arise. If I had to pay a tech to do the work, the amp would quickly cost more to fix than it is worth.

Again, the value of the HRDX to me is situational. I returned to the electric guitar about two years ago after being away for a long time. I didn't know much about the current landscape when it came to guitars or amps. The HRDX sounded good to me and the price ($599.00 street) made sense considering the level at which I wanted to get reinvolved. As I regain experience, learn more about what is out there, hear different amps, and devine the going price of used equipment, I'm sure my tastes will change. I figure that about the time my HRDX starts going south and I get tired of messing with it, my tastes will have changed enought to want a new amp anyway. If I can get down the road about five years or so, I figure I will have gotten enough out of the HRDX to make it worth the price I paid for it.

One more thing. The HRDX gets a lot of bad press. I have no problem with that, as I think it is at least somewhat deserved. But, if we all liked the same thing our local guitar stores wouldn't need much shelf space...just enough for one guitar and one amp. If the HRDX suits YOUR needs...whether that regards price, sound, use, etc....then it is the right amp for you. Without hard statistics about reliability, everything else is just opinion. So enjoy your HRDX and don't let yourself get wrapped around the axle by what the rest of us think.

Forum Member

My SFSR is a veteran of a lot of gigs. (Not me, the guys that had it previously). I did a couple of cap jobs, but it's worked without fail for over 30 years and I believe it could easily do 30 more. No way is any HRD series amps going to hold up like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scablander View Post
    We all have our opinions, good and bad, about the HRDX. I would like to offer mine.

First, I think the merits of any amp are quite dependent on how the amp will be used. For my use, the HRDX fills the bill fine. I use it mostly here at home at relatively low volume with my Stat and Tele. It may eventually go gigging in some small clubs, and I wouldn't be ashamed to take it out in public. If I were a full-time gigging pro, I would look to another amp. I think the perceived fragility of the HRDX alone would drive me to something else.

:

I can't really agree and am going to qualify my earlier comments.....Not actual statistics....just rough numbers from people I know.....

FWIW - I have two froends that gig their HRDx regulalry and have little more than routine maint issues....

I have 4-5 friends plus mine with HRDx that for the first 2-3 years had nothing but trouble and very little play tome outside of the home.

I have had CONSTANT issues until I believe I got most of them ironed out and gig it once in a while now.

It seems ok, but I am hesitant to really trust it without backup. As a bass player, that isn't too often, so I am not overly worried.

Not arguing with you, just stating my observations and thoughts if I had it to do over.

You cannot tell me that I am wrong for stating my experience and actual observation. I seriously would do something else to be at the point of buying this amp again. Since I have it now, and have worked most of the bugs out, I intend to keep it for now. It works ok and has pretty good sound.

Of course i haven't owned a nicer amp yet, so my frame of reference isn't good. I have however played thorugh a lot of other peoples amps that ARE much nicer.....so its not as if I have NO point of reference.

Play what makes your sound and what makes you happy. Seriously though......I think it is a roll of the dice. I will be doing something lese, better nicer later.....I look forward to it too.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by Scablander View Post
    I think the perceived fragility of the HRDX alone would drive me to something else.

...So enjoy your HRDX and don't let yourself get wrapped around the axle by what the rest of us think.
    Here's an ditty to wrap around the axle: I bought my HRDlx wanting it to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    ...I think it is a roll of the dice. I will be doing something else, better nicer later...I look forward to it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Thats a hell of an assertion!

50/50?
    You like that? It either will or it won't...

Sorry, that's a 'non-answer' we use around the office a lot; sort of an inside thing. Didn't think twice about using it here. My bad, I was playing off of RUDUTCH's comment.

-Edmund Burke

Forum Member

I ran in to the same deal with my HRDLX same time frame from same store
    I ended up swapping it out for the peavey classic 30 I like it a lot better, its the exact same price so its a even swap I know a lot of people are stuck on the 6l6 tube set but the classic 30 at least the new one I got is a great amp for what I need it for out of the box mainly R&B BLues classic rock takes pedals well. Only gripe you gotta buy a foot switch , I had a fender one left over from a vib rever switch and works fine. U just have to engage the drive button then the switch works
    Its worth checking out for the even swap at GC

Forum Member

If you like your tone, don't touch it. I was not happy with stock setup. I change the all the tubes to JJ Electronics from Eurotubes. That took out the muddiness and ice pick highs. The JJs smooth the tone where the overdrive was desirable while the clean channel became cleaner and had more sparkle. The next thing to go was the speaker and replaced it with a Carvin British Series 100w speaker. This took the amp to the next level. Now the drive and more drive sounds great! I literally got this amp to sound like old JCM 800 Marshall. No pedals needed unless metal is in demanded. The clean channel never suffered so I now I got the best of both worlds.
    Another mans passion is another mans poison

Quote Originally Posted by NTBluesGuitar View Post
    In hindsight, I would've put my money into a Deluxe Reverb Reissue. Don't let the fact that it's a 6V6 tube steer you away, it's one of the best amps out there of modern construction.
    +1

With the DRRI you won't need a Master Volume. Do what OSA does: use pedals, and run your amp a bit hotter than you think you need, and then use your guitar volume pot - if it's normally on 8, tweak everything to sound good at that level, then when you dime it, it's an instant volume/gain boost. Works like a charm!

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."