Thread: Just bought a Showman head

Forum Member

Just bought a Showman head

Here's a picture of it:

single Showman head I just bought

It is being shipped today. Hopefully I will have it by the end of this week. I can hardly wait. I'll be playing it through a custom ported cabinet I built that has two Weber AlNiCo Michigan speakers in it, a 15 and a 10.

I'll of course open it up and ensure that all components are in good order and may replace a few caps and resistors along the way. It already has had the three prong power plug conversion. It's in pretty good shape for its age (like me).

I'll report back once I get it and have tried it out. Happy happy, tone city!

:tw59

More pix of some of my equipment/axes:

Strat/Rivera

Roadstar/Blues Deluxe

Metheny archtop/Princeton

Last edited by Algernon; 03-31-2003 at 09:06 AM.

Forum Member
    From a response over at the Harmony-central forum:

One piece of advise to really get some good sounds out of this amp ... If you are not going to use the tremolo, disconnect the LDR from the circuit ... Or put it on a switch like I did. This will really make the amp more lively.

Schematically, the LDR is controlled by the "vibrato" (tremolo) circuits oscillator. The oscillator oscillates a neon bulb which changes the resistance of the LDR. When the light is lit up, the resistance goes down and your signal is shunted to ground. When it is not lit up, the LDR is at its maximum resistance and your signal should supposedly go through uneffected. However, in practice, the signal does not go through uneffected. What ends up happening is, the signal gets loaded down and you lose some highs and mids ... as well as some of the harmonic sparkle.

Normally you could just plug into the normal channel to get around this, but the normal channel doesn't have a midrange control. So if you remove the LDR from the circuit, you take out the load from the signal.

You could put it on a switch as well. I have mine on the depth control. When you turn it above its lowest setting, it clicks a switch and re-engages the LDR. Basically, on the depth control, you want to remove the yellow wire.

If you were so inclined, and didn't plan on using a footswitch, you could replace the RCA jack in the back of the amp with a flip switch ... And if you used a DPDT switch, you could have it so that it engages the LDR and ground the oscillator circuit at the same time ... Or you could of course have a stereo jack in the back and a DPDT footswitch to do the same thing.

Alms for the blind?

Forum Member
    What year is that bad boy? It looks a lot like my 65 - except that yours in better shape than mine
    Last edited by BrentK; 04-04-2003 at 11:51 AM.