Thread: pickup help

pickup help

Hey guys I've got one of the thin skin 62 RI strats that I really like. The only issue I have with it is the pickups just seem so bland. I can't seem to coax hardly any sustain from them; nothing at all like the SCN's on my deluxe strat. I mean I totally understand that the 2 are different sets of pu's but as much as I like the tone differences between the two different guitars; I'm starting to consider putting the scn's in my 62 RI. I've raised the pu's further off the deck on the 62 than they were from the factory but as much as I love the stratty tones of the 62 they are just lifeless to me. Any suggestions?
    John Sr.

Forum Member

Re: pickup help

Have you thought about some of the hotter vintage style pickups, like Fralin "Vintage Hots" or Rio Grande "Muy Grandes"? That could give you a more classic sound with more bite. I haven't tried the Fralins, but they get a lot of praise on the forum. I have tried the Rio Grandes, and they are pretty smokin'. Of course, if you can achieve your sound by adjusting the pups, that would save you the time and money. Unfortunately, I am not very good at adjusting them. I got lucky with mine, so I haven't touched them.

This post is going to almost contradict everything I said in my above post; but I moved the pickups around a little, and it has rewarded me with the most awesome strat sound from any strat I have ever owned. I could not have fathomed getting close SRV's tone with the 57/62 combo. I see what Fezz is talking about now. I'm not one to falsely convince myself of something when it's not so. These pickups truly do deliver the true strat tone. Thanks to all.
    John Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by hvnbownd1@cox.net View Post
    This post is going to almost contradict everything I said in my above post; but I moved the pickups around a little, and it has rewarded me with the most awesome strat sound from any strat I have ever owned. I could not have fathomed getting close SRV's tone with the 57/62 combo. I see what Fezz is talking about now. I'm not one to falsely convince myself of something when it's not so. These pickups truly do deliver the true strat tone. Thanks to all.
    John Sr.
    Gotta have tone baby!

Its all about the tone...
    It truly is. I don't want to go on and on about it, but it took my guitar from one that was just not getting it done; to one that I can't hardly put down. A guitar that seemed dead and lifeless before is now talking back to me saying "is that all ya got Bro' " " I thought you wanted to dance". I now have this sneaking suspicion that my Am. Dlx. is going to get some R&R. I mean I thought I knew a little about tone, but these 57/62 pickups have sent me back to school, and I'm lovin' it.
    John Sr.

Forum Member

That's awsome! Glad it's working out!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    FWIW, I can't stand the SCN's, no AlNiCo sparkle or clarity.
    I hear you... I find that too with the SCNs... They don't sound too bad, but they're just a bit lifeless. No sparkle...