Thread: Cable frustration

Cable frustration

Well, thought I would try and build myself a great guitar-to-amp or guitar-to-pedalboard cable, bought a 20 ft length of Mogami 2524 and two Neutrk NP2C plugs, soldered it up and....Yuck! Quiet, yes, but there is a significant loss of highs when I use it with my Tele! Makes my old Whirlwind sound great. Even tried completely re-doing one of the ends where I thought the leads might be touching where they seat in the plug. Anyone else experience this? Any advice?
    We had to get rid of the kids....the cats were allergic!

Forum Member

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrr.................

George L....woowoo!

stxrus
    i am from the school of canare & switchcraft.
    can't justify boutique.
    peace
    steve

Well, if the store sold Canare I would have bought it, but I don't think of Mogami as being on some stratospheric price point level above Canare ( I would, however feel that way about Monster Cable). And the Neutrik connectors seem very simple and straightforward.
    We had to get rid of the kids....the cats were allergic!

Personally I'm a pretty big fan of George L's, and Whirlwind. They've always worked well for me

Planet Waves for me.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Forum Member

cable

I'll second Planet Waves - not inexpensice, but durable and does not squash my guitar tone like other cables did.

Forum Member
    George L's for everything! Guitar to pedalboard, pedalboard, and pedalboard to amp. Love the sound.

Forum Member
    George L's are awesome.

CABLES

HEY GOOD LUCK MAKING YOUR OWN LONG CABLES
    I'D RATHER GO BUY A GOOD MONSTER CABLE 20 25 FOOTERS
    I BEEN USING SOME RADIO SHACK 25 FOOTERS WITH GOLD ENDS AND THESE CABLES ARE BUILT STRONG FOR 19 DOLLARS WHERE COULD YOU GO WRONG PLUS THEYRE GUARANTEED
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

I use the George L's (1/8") for pedal to pedal patch chords. Very easy to make up and easy to make in short lengths with the small radii for pedal board applications. They are excellent cables when made up correctly but when used for a long run they will curl up around your legs if you move around, even the larger diameter. At least that's my past experience.....

Geetar to pedal and pedal board to amp I use the Spectroflex cloth covered and am very happy with them. They lay flat and don't curl easily. I'm definately not spending the ultra bucks for 'bragging rights" and they sound very good. Sonically they're very good and very reasonably priced. I've also heard good results with the Planet Waves and they won't break your back bucks wise either.

All three are a vast improvement over the $9.95 cheapies on the racks at most stores. Besides that, I ain'ta gonna pay a hundred bucks for a freakin' 20' chord! Mama may have raised an oogly kid but not a dummun' :rolleyes:

Hammer on........Blair

CABLES FRUSTRATION !!!

HEY MAN I THINK WHIRLWIND AND PLANET WAVES ARE VERY GOOD CABLES MAN
    ONES WITH SWITCHCRAFT JACKS PLUGS 1/4 TYPE
    I GOT THIS CLOTH COVERED 20 FOOTER THAT PLANET WAVES MAKES IT'S BLUE I USE IT FOR MY WAH TO AMP INPUT RUN I LIKE IT IT LAYS FLAT ON THE FLOOR ALSO
    LATELY I BEEN BUYING PLANET WAVES ONES AND THEY ARE VERY GOOD SO FAR I AINT HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL
    I LIKE THE CLOTH COVERED GUITAR CABLES 20- 25 FOOTERS
    I DONT USE A WIRELESS BUT I OFTEN THINK ON INVESTING IN ONE ....FOR MY GUITAR RACK IF I NEED MY FREEDOM MAYBE SOMEDAY
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

i personally just use the mid priced cables that all stores carry, you know the ones with the store's name on it. i've tried the others, and yeah they're quiet and all. but some guy told a while ago, and now i believe him, that if you want the old school tone, use crappy cables. granted they are not as reliable as the expensive ones. the line of reasoning is that most of the "great" guitar tones i'm accustomed to and adore were cut using crap cables. think about it, remember those curly q cables hendrix used?
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"