Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 80s band debut tonight

TFF Stage Crew

80s band debut tonight

First gig for the new 80s band I joined called "Chess King" (). We're playing at the Ohio State campus area for an outdoor all-campus party in the frat/sorority house area. The state pays churches in the campus area to have events that don't serve alcohol, so this Presby church is having a pancake dinner and an 80s band.

Apparently 80s music is big again with the college crowd, at least around here. I don't get it, since most of them were born in the late 80s, but hey.

Free pancakes!

Got my groovy 80s pedal board together, mostly from pedals I don't use on my main gigging board anymore. The only thing I bought was a Boss LS-2, "Loop Selector." I have my rhythm loop (Fulltone FD2 and CE-5 chorus) and my lead loop (OCD & DD-3 Delay). It works pretty well, actually. You can adjust the volume for each loop. The whole thing is then being split stereo to my DRRI and Yamaha G100.

Our "I love the 80s" set lists:

Set One

1. We Got The Beat – G
    2. Addicted To Love – A
    3. Power Of Love – C
    4. Rio - E
    5. Rebel Yell - Bm
    6. Sister Christian - F
    7. Turn Me Loose - Gm
    8. Train In Vain - A
    9. Beat It - E
    10. Cars - A
    11. Jessie’s Girl - D
    12. Wanted Dead Or Alive –D

Set Two

1. Crazy Train - A
    2. Pink Cadillac - E
    3. One Thing Leads To Another - Bbm
    4. Some Like It Hot - E
    5. Too Much Time On… - A
    6. Don’t Stop Believin’ - E
    7. Your Love – C#m
    8. Wishing Well - Ab
    9. Jenny (867-5309) – F#m
    10. Delirious - G
    11. Once In A Lifetime – D

Set Three

1. My City Was Gone - Bm
    2. Owner of a Lonely Heart - Am
    3. Modern Love - C
    4. Something About You - E
    5. Driven To Tears - Am
    6. Tempted - B
    7. Break My Stride - Ebm
    8. Ah Leah – C#m
    9. Naughty, Naughty - E
    10. Fantasy - Gm
    11. Under Pressure D

Now I have to go change into my parachute pants with bandanas tied around my legs, a black button down shirt, a thin, electric blue knit tie, and a black Members Only jacket.

I'm kidding. Even I have limits.

Re: 80s band debut tonight

Well, the Mrs & I will have to line up sitting so we can come see this band sometime.

Good luck.

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks H. Hey, your Mrs. and my Mrs. have something in common right now.

Quote Originally Posted by pc View Post
    Thanks H. Hey, your Mrs. and my Mrs. have something in common right now.

Congrads!

Fantastic! I too do not understand why kids today are into the 80s. I guess it makes as much sense as me being into the Beatles.

That set list is so cool. I'm especially happy to see the Night Ranger song. What a great band. How about some Hooters in there? Nervous Night was a smash album.
    s'all goof.

totally radical.

thanks for sharing the setlist.
    i'm sure the show was gnarly to the max.

Argh! 2/3 of that would have my geezer eardrums poked out by knitting needles by the end of the first set.

I have complete confidence that you can do all of that convincingly, though PC. It's all about (well mostly about) having a happy crowd!
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

TFF Stage Crew

It went quite well. There were a smattering of college kids walking around for the first set, then it was jam-packed for the second two sets. And, although many confirmed they were born in 88 and 89, they knew EVERY single song we played, with the possible exception of "Break My Stride" (which they danced to anyway) and "Driven To Tears" (which they danced to anyway, and which we really do for US, not for them).

My stereo rig was totally, like, 80s-gnarly! Having the two amps behind me spread about six feet apart when I occasionally hit the CE-5 was a wash of warm, stereo sweetness. It would irk the crap out of me now in my regular band (haven't had that chorus out of its box in years), but for the 80s band it ruled.

As for the music selection, I know its not everyone's cup of tea. I've learned over the years here at TFF that I am the exception and not the rule. I like pretty much all music, and in fact, I love most all of it. In the threads where people talk about their favorite songs, I always find myself agreeing that I like those songs too. In the threads where people talk about songs as "guilty pleasures," I like all of those songs and have never been guilty about it. In the threads where people talk about songs they hate, I stop reading them after awhile, because I like all of those songs too.

However, all that said, I can recognize the drecky factor of most of this 80s stuff from a distance perspective. Many serious musicians I respect think very little of this stuff, and I understand why.

But when I was a 18-year-old hot-shit guitarist in a small town, everybody wanted me in their band, and everyone I played with was playing this stuff. I fondly remember playing to enormous dance floors full of dancing women, shoulder pads, feathered hair and all. I have good memories of it.

I still need to play my favorite music in a different band: R&B, soul, funk, etc. But this stuff is fun for me. As Kap'n said, it's mostly about a happy crowd, and the rest (for me) is a tight band of good musicians locking in together. Having both at the same time is for me like winning the lottery.

The only thing that's changed... During Sister Christian, instead of swaying lighters back and forth, they were swaying flipped-open cell phones back and forth.

The price of progress. Heh.

I think you've got some great songs in there, pc. A lot of it quite challenging to do well, too. I think a few sets of R&B and funk would be much more of a cruise.

However, is "Wishing Well" as in, er, Free? Or is there another song with that name that I'm not aware of? (Great song, mind you, just not what I would have thought of as belonging in an 80s setlist...)

-Mark

Gravity Jim

I'll bet "Wishing Well" is more like Terrence Trent D'Arby and the Hardline.

Great set list, dude. I wish I was in that band.

Wow, Donny Iris! Brings me back to the Pittsburgh days! But "Turn Me Loose," like, gags me with a spoon.

Seriously, those are great sets, this band will be VERY popular. Have to admit, I was a little disappointed not to see "Saved By Zero" in there somewhere, but that's just me.

"Driven to Tears?" "Train in Vain?" I'm dying here.

"Same as it ever was..."

PS - The band name is the icing, I LOL'd...
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

That's a fun gig.

I'm right with you on the comments about ALL music.

My band has been playing a similar set for about 15 years now. We don't do any "hair band" stuff, we stay mostly with the power pop and lean more "new wave" but the feel is the same.

I, too, have fond memories of the big-haired women with shoulder pads and all.

We usually dress as normal, but if the party/show has a "theme" we will put on skinny ties or the occasional sport coat with the sleaves pulled up to look the part.

Last night it was a "wet down" party for a new USMC Major at Camp Pendelton.

TFF Stage Crew

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Stonetone, I too am natively a Pittsburgh-area boy, so I had to throw the Donny Iris in there. "Turn Me Loose" is one of the most slap-dash, thrown together pop songs ever contrived, but just to hear my singer buddy Damon nail that sky-high note on "FLYYYYYY my way" makes the whole thing worth it. Oh, and those opening heavy chords are fun too.

Wilko, somehow I knew that pink bucker-Strat knew its way around some 80s stuff. Cool! I do want to eventually find a Members Only jacket at a Goodwill or something for the occassional themed appearances. The singer does have a couple sport coats in white and electric blue for pushing up the sleeves which he's threatened to break out of storage.

G-Jim, any time you want to slide over a little east and a little south, you can sit in any time, all evening long.

And yes, "Wishing Well" was Mr. D'Arby. Great little tune and we extended the end for several minutes because the coeds were dancing up a storm.

One frat boy did request "Johnny B. Goode," because, y'know, it was in "Back To The Future," an 80s movie. So we did it.

Well I'm not a native, just went to school there, but you know how it is - listen to WDVE long enough and it's like the place just adopts you. Even came home with the damn accent, hehe...

I still go back two, three times a year... always wanted to play a show there too, but I got into gigging well after I left.
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

pc, those are great, fun songs to play. 80's rock is a blast. Only thing missing would be a kick-ass ACDC driver.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

maybe some queensryche or dream theater.
    That would kick,you jam dude..rock'em out!!!

Gravity Jim

G-Jim, any time you want to slide over a little east and a little south, you can sit in any time, all evening long.
    Dude, you're on. But you have to let me sing "Sister Christian."

(I can't hear that "Motorin'...." thing anymore without seeing the scene that features that song in Boogie Nights in my mind's eye.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Jim View Post
    Dude, you're on. But you have to let me sing "Sister Christian."

(I can't hear that "Motorin'...." thing anymore without seeing the scene that features that song in Boogie Nights in my mind's eye.)
    Jim, if you come to town to sit in on a gig, I want advanced notice so I can line up babysitting.

Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Jim, if you come to town to sit in on a gig, I want advanced notice so I can line up babysitting.
    There's an ancient joke (with a punchline that became a catch phrase at the last ad agency I worked for) that applies here.

A guy is applying for a job as a switchmaster on the railroad, and in addition the interview, he has to take a written test on his problem-solving skills. The hiring manager is going over the guy's test, and all the answers look pretty sharp, but he comes to one that puzzles him. The question says:

"A 90-car train is moving at 60 mph on Track 17 east bound, 15 miles from a passenger station. Another 75-car train is moving at 65 mph on Track 17 westbound, approximately 12 miles from the same passenger station. What do you do?"

And the guy has answered: "Call my brother."

So the manager calls the guy in and says, "You did real well on the test, except for this one... what good is your brother going to be in this situation?"

And the guy says, "Aw, my brother wouldn't be any help at all.. he's just never seen a train wreck before!"

And that's the best reason to get a babysitter if I come down to Columbus... because you've never seen a train wreck before.

(At Ferguson Advertising, when things were really getting out of hand, someone in the creative department would always say, "Well, I'm gonna go call my brother.")

Jim, you crack me up.

TFF Stage Crew

Jim, you can sing any song you want to, play keyboards, play the Zencaster, whatever. You have a standing invite to sit in at any Chess King gig, or any Sharp Circle gig for that matter. I keep trying to get Guitar_Mc to bring his ASAT to one of my Sharp Circle gigs and sit in.

Although now I'm worried that if he comes and plugs his Boss Deluxe-Reverb pedal into my DRRI, the combination will cause a tear in the fabric of space/time.

I keep trying to get Guitar_Mc to bring his ASAT to one of my Sharp Circle gigs and sit in.
    Yes, I need to do that. I thought the Sharp Circle stuff was over though. I haven't checked for shows lately, but I remember something about your percussionist leaving for India and the whole band dissolving soon.
    I could be mis-remembering.

Although now I'm worried that if he comes and plugs his Boss Deluxe-Reverb pedal into my DRRI, the combination will cause a tear in the fabric of space/time.
    Now thats one to call you brother for.

Gravity Jim

Spengler: There's something very important I forgot to tell you.
    Venkman: What?
    Spengler: Don't cross the streams.
    Venkman: Why?
    Spengler: It would be bad.
    Venkman: I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad"?
    Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
    Stantz: Total protonic reversal.
    Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar_Mc View Post
    Yes, I need to do that. I thought the Sharp Circle stuff was over though. I haven't checked for shows lately, but I remember something about your percussionist leaving for India and the whole band dissolving soon.
    I could be mis-remembering.
    Well, a little mis-remembering, but not too far off, at least until last night. The percussionist was only in India for three weeks, he's been back for months. The drummer moved to Indiana two months ago, but has been commuting to all of our gigs. The vocalist and bassist announced that they were moving to L.A. at the end of August, after our show on 8/25, at which point the band was going to dissolve.

However, last night it was hinted that the L.A. thing may not happen. The singer is about to be offered a great job locally in his day-gig field of film/video editing, and the bassist is now thinking about taking the GRE and doing Grad School here instead.

Nothing's nailed down, but at least we know we're gigging all through the summer, then maybe beyond too. We'll see. I hope so. I love playing with those guys.

Gravity Jim

The drummer moved to Indiana two months ago...
    Why the hell would anybody do THAT??!?

TFF Stage Crew

Good question...

Actually, he got hired as one of the top-dogs in the Percussive Arts Society (PAS), a national drum/percussion organization that serves as a resource for drum gear dealers to link inventory with the drum-makers, for marching band drum-corps stuff, and for percussion and drum pedagogy at universities across the country. They're based out of Indy. He has a window office in some sky-scraper downtown and digs the hell out of his job.

Excellent name, pc!

http://the80srule.blogspot.com/2006/...hess-king.html

And you somehow came up with that without our help?

Impressive.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Gravity Jim

Speaking of Chess King the sotre... again, with the Boogie Nights echoes in my head:

"It's real Italian polyester. You can't buy this stuff in the States."

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    pc, those are great, fun songs to play. 80's rock is a blast. Only thing missing would be a kick-ass ACDC driver.

Chuck,
    I know I wasn't into the Wray-Guns (not my cup o' java)

But I'd totally, totally be into an '80's revue. It would be, like, totally different head, mon...bitchin'

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Excellent name, pc!

Impressive.
    Although I hate to admit this, it actually "came to me in a dream."

Not long after we all got together to discuss the possibility of doing this band, I had a dream that we were playing a show and the drummer had "Chess King" on his kick-drum head.

I told the rest of them about it and they all got a huge kick out of it, having all (again, hating to admit it) shopped there once or twice (or constantly) during that time period.

Paul McCartney dreamed "Yesterday" and I dreamed "Chess King." Still, it's a start.

I had a turquoise & black checkered sleevless t-shirt that I wore in my first band.
    Hate to admit it, but I'm almost certain it came from Chessking!

Turquoise was nearly a primary color in the 80's.
    I think there was talk of a constitutional ammendment.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Yup. I had a turquoise sleeveless shirt that looked oh so Don Johnson underneath my white linen suit.

Unfortunately for me, I couldn't grow a decent 3-day beard (too blonde) and I looked more like the Greatest American Hero...believe it or not! ;-)

I was just hangin with Tommy 2 Tutone. He was living at my friends house in WA.

I think he just left for California, not sure

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle View Post
    Yup. I had a turquoise sleeveless shirt that looked oh so Don Johnson underneath my white linen suit.
    I owned the very same combo, and I also had the black sleeveless shirt that went under my turquoise sportcoat (with push-up sleeves). All from Chess King.

I owned the very same combo, and I also had the black sleeveless shirt that went under my turquoise sportcoat (with push-up sleeves). All from Chess King.
    Are you sure you're not related to me?

I also had a Turquoise sportcoat, although I wore that with the casual white slacks from the other set, and a white sleeveless t-shirt that had snaps on one shoulder and mesh decorating part of it.

um, and I had my hair trimmed fairly close at the sides and longer at the top and back. yipes.

And yes, I believe that my vice combos came from Chess King, although I got my Calvins and Jordache from the Shedd House.

And to think I wore t-shirts, flannel and blue jeans.

Sort of like I do now.

Only I was hip for about a week in 1990.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Excellent name, pc!

http://the80srule.blogspot.com/2006/...hess-king.html

Impressive.
    No wonder I didn't get the reference. These were the pre-NAFTA years in Canada and we had nothing called "Chess King". If you had called your band "Big Steel Man", I coulda pieced it together. Pretty goof name!

And I'm guilty of the Miami Vice look - on stage no less and at my senior (Grade 13 here in Ontario back in the day) prom (yellow blazer, powder blue pants, white shoes). Was I freaking cool or what? To this day, I can only grow three days worth of stubble....

DD

TFF Stage Crew

Yeah DD, that's the one problem with the name Chess King is that only a certain age group of people from here in the U.S. will fully get it, but it's still weird enough that it might be interesting even if they don't.

As for the clothes, my worst, for which my only excuse was that I was young enough not to know better, was that for Christmas of 83 I got a leather jacket with dozens of zippers like MJ's from Thriller. Except (thank god) mine was black instead of red--its one somewhat saving grace.

I believe it came from Chess King also, although my mother may have bought it at Merry-Go-Round.

Ugh.

I broke out of the Chess King phase in college when I became a poster child for American Eagle instead. Jeans and rugby shirts every day. That wasn't as 'in' of course, but far more comfortable to pull on for an 8 a.m. music theory class.

Yeah DD, that's the one problem with the name Chess King is that only a certain age group of people from here in the U.S. will fully get it, but it's still weird enough that it might be interesting even if they don't.

As for the clothes, my worst, for which my only excuse was that I was young enough not to know better, was that for Christmas of 83 I got a leather jacket with dozens of zippers like MJ's from Thriller. Except (thank god) mine was black instead of red--its one somewhat saving grace.

I believe it came from Chess King also, although my mother may have bought it at Merry-Go-Round.

Ugh.

I broke out of the Chess King phase in college when I became a poster child for American Eagle instead. Jeans and rugby shirts every day. That wasn't as 'in' of course, but far more comfortable to pull on for an 8 a.m. music theory class.
    LOL....oh yeah, the rugby garb phase....although I DID play rugby in highschool so I had *some* cred. Then there was the phase of rugby PANTS and leather jackets....totally too young to know better for sure...why did girls even talk to us???

By university, I was fully ensconsed in the grunge and/or backpacker look- didn't have to work hard at that... Pretty much all my clothing came from MECthe Canadian version of REI.

Never did do the MJ thing. I was more stoner-jock than breakdancer...I had an image to uphold....

The only thing that persisted all throughout this mayhem was my love of playing blues-rock, esp. the Stones. Never played "'80s" music until my last rock cover band....where we did a punked up version of "Message in a Bottle" - how much more '80s does it get than that?

DD

Yeah, Muddy Waters came immediately to mind for me....and Willie Dixon....