Thread: I went and did something strange...

I went and did something strange...

I wanted another set of kinmans to go with my 62, while I tranfser the blues set to my deluxe. I kept thinking about a hybrid set or just plain old Traditional MkIIs for weeks...

I finally decided on this:

I can't believe I ordered this... But listening to the sound clips on this set, the bell-like tone is too sweet to be ignored. I found the Traditionals sounding too thin for my liking. And I loved the AVn-63s. The thing is, I wanted a HX-85 in the bridge... But I got a bit nervous when even after Chris Kinman himself told me his SCNs were actually the 63s, and I saw that he had also shown different tone charts for both SCNs and 63s, I panicked and decided to play it safe by going for the FV-HMS set first. I can always get another HX-85 later on... (yeah yeah... I know... wastage right?)

Well, anyone here have any experience with the Hank Marvin set?

Hear them here: (Clips are from www.kinman.com)
    FV-HMS Clean
    FV-HMS Distorted

Forum Member

Re: I went and did something strange...

Thnx for turning me on to the Kinman site. I just mite sell my Duncan antiquities and try those AVN's. They are about the same price, and the Kinmans look as tho they are made better.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryjg View Post
    Thnx for turning me on to the Kinman site. I just mite sell my Duncan antiquities and try those AVN's. They are about the same price, and the Kinmans look as tho they are made better.
    You're welcome... They're pretty good pups. I feel they have more presence and bite than Duncans...But less "vintage" feel. I like them pretty much.

But I think you'll find the hardest thing about the Kinmans is deciding which set to buy... heh.

ok... it's official. They're great!

I just got the Hank Marvins, and they are really good. Very "vowel-like" tones and a tinge of quack. Not too much. These have become my favourites next to the woodstocks I got. They're much better than the blues set IMO, which I honestly didn't particularly like as much, which I found a bit too mellow for my liking. Responds very nicely to picking strength. Quite expressive...

On clean they're very well behaved, but distorted, they actually growl very well. It's a bit cleaner than the woodstocks, which were very wild. This is like the juvenile little brother of the woodstocks. Not as mad to control, but not a tame thing either.

My fav is the neck pup for this set. The bridge is a bit wilder, but I'm having trouble finding the sweet spot for the mid pup.

To get what the neck pup sounds like, think of Eric Johnson's SRV track. That opening melody? That's exactly it!