Thread: Low output pickups rock!

Forum Member

Low output pickups rock!

I have Voodoo pickups in both a Strat and Broadcaster replica's and after extensive comparissons with other such guitars...friends original vintage guitars included...I've decided that my pickups are actually slightly lower in output than many....but force me to turn my amp up! I was having a conversation with an american player recently who has come to the same conclusion...old pickups loose their power after years of playing and lower output ones simply match up better! Or am I talking bunkum? I would appreciate your thoughts chaps!

Re: Low output pickups rock!

i have a custom set of pickups that are alnico 3 and read in the low 5's, at first i wasn't so enthralled with them but they've grown on me. i really like them now. i've played a lot of pickups, new ones and old ones. i think more than anything it's matching the pups to the guitar. usually vintage pups seem a little sweeter, but some of the new ones have really impressed me too. i guess it all comes down to what you like, and what sounds good in your gitsteel.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

I made the mistake of ripping out lower output pickups in a Strat and giving them away thinking I'd never want them again. I spent the next 7 years trying to make that same Strat sound as good as it did stock.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

The lower the output,the sweeter the tone,IMHO.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

It depends on how you play, I guess... Low output pups do sound better tonewise. But only clean and with mild distortion. If you're a high gain player, it'll be a bit too mushy for you.

I like to have my guitars specific for each kind of music. So I'd definately have low output pups for playing clean and classic rock.

Not sure if you can compare Lace pickups. I have a set marked "Don Lace" on the covers. They sound great for direct recording even high gain stuff. All the pickups read about 4.7 kohms DC resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by curt1lp View Post
    Not sure if you can compare Lace pickups. I have a set marked "Don Lace" on the covers. They sound great for direct recording even high gain stuff. All the pickups read about 4.7 kohms DC resistance.
    Those are actives aren't they? I think actives need to be judged on very different criteria... They don't behave like passives.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by demioblue View Post
    It depends on how you play, I guess... Low output pups do sound better tonewise. But only clean and with mild distortion. If you're a high gain player, it'll be a bit too mushy for you.

I like to have my guitars specific for each kind of music. So I'd definately have low output pups for playing clean and classic rock.
    Same here, i even have two amps, one for high output guitars and one for low output guitars.

Those are actives aren't they? I think actives need to be judged on very different criteria... They don't behave like passives.
    Nope My Lace's are completely passive PUPs. Here's an example of them under moderately high gain conditions. (refer Big Time thread LPF Jamzone.)

The gain is first a Marshall Gv2 Pedal withthe gain at 10 o'clock, then an amp emulation in Zoom G2. I had my volume control set to full for the take.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=5348982

I have been extremely impressed by these pickups. Great harmonic overtones and sustain is great!

The guitar in the clip is a Squire Affinity neck on a MIM body with three SC sized Lace pickups.
    Last edited by curt1lp; 05-17-2007 at 12:14 AM.

I generally prefer medium output pickups but like higher output and lower output pickups as well.

It really depends on the guitar and the music that I'm playing. I had a DiMazio Super Distortion that I had for years and loved but it just didn't fit into what I was doing. If I could quick change it in and out of the guitar I would've kept it.

I think I sold it to chuckocaster.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    High Gain: Kelpto Fezz

Lower Gain: Red Letter Blues

Low, lower, and high Gain in one track: Frank Vs. Jimbo

All done with low output vintage style pickups.

These were done with higher output CSTST's:

Rhumba Dumba Doo

Shufflin' BeeZerk

The major difference in the sound of these tracks is in how the amps were set up and mic placement, processing etc. Not the pickups in the guitars.
    KleptoFezz. Rockin, sounds like a 'hot' pickup.
    RedLetterBlues: I like the sound of the guitar A LOT at 1.00. Reminds me of Page's tone on SIBLY.
    FrankvsJimbo: Real old time blues at the start. Then a floydish vibe eg 1.09. 2.49 we're getting a ZZTOP like sound.
    ShufflinBeezerk: SRV is back! This is my favourite track and the guitar cooks!!
    RhumbaDumbaDoo: This has a bit of the SRV vibe but the tone is much glassier. In fact I think this is a perfect example of a glassy tone.

I agree: Setup/postprocessing is way more important than pickups. ( though CSTST does nail that southern tone VERY well.)

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It really depends on the guitar and the music that I'm playing. I had a DiMazio Super Distortion that I had for years and loved but it just didn't fit into what I was doing. If I could quick change it in and out of the guitar I would've kept it.
    I've got one of those SD pickups. Theres no real articulation or top end on them. Sonic Brylcream. I don't think it matters what guitar you put them in, they'll all sound the same.

I put it in my Hello Kitty, and play all the bonehead rock songs on it.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I've got one of those SD pickups. Theres no real articulation or top end on them. Sonic Brylcream. I don't think it matters what guitar you put them in, they'll all sound the same.

I put it in my Hello Kitty, and play all the bonehead rock songs on it.
    A simple solid bodied guitar (like a $50 used Epi Jr. It doesn't matter) with a Super Distortion pickup plugged into a medium to high gain amp (solid state is fine. Again, it doesn't matter) to vent with some mindless hard rock after a long day at work! At a time like this, articulation and high end just get in the way!

Although I enjoy it, I don't have the money or space to keep a rig like that around for the few moments that I need it.

Passive Lace sensors are extremely underrated for versatility!

Who needs all that typical single-coil NOISE anywaze?
    Last edited by pc; 05-17-2007 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Photo far too large

Although I enjoy it, I don't have the money or space to keep a rig like that around for the few moments that I need it.
    I usually bring three guitars to a gig. These days, one's almost always a strat, the other's a LP, and the third one is a "specialty" guitar - usually the Gretsch, but depeding on the gig and how I feel, it could be the Kitty or the 12-string.

Depending, of course, whether I want feedback/bigsby, laughs or Roger McGuinn.
    orange picks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slikwili View Post

I replaced the LS in my Strat Plus with a set of GFS '64 vintage staggers. I like them, but my other Strat (the ultra) still has LS pups, (silver, blue, silver). The LS pups on the ultra have more detail and are 'flatter', while the GFS pups are warmer and have more output than the Gold LS they replaced (not by much). I still prefer the Ultra with the LS, great sounding and playing ax.

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n View Post
    I usually bring three guitars to a gig. These days, one's almost always a strat, the other's a LP, and the third one is a "specialty" guitar - usually the Gretsch, but depeding on the gig and how I feel, it could be the Kitty or the 12-string.

Depending, of course, whether I want feedback/bigsby, laughs or Roger McGuinn.
    I try to get all the sounds that I need from one guitar but when I bring two guitars to my jams it's usually a Strat and a Les Paul. The Strat has Fralin Vintag Hots in it and Les Paul has Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in it. I don't pigeon hole either guitar into a type of music or sound. The Les Paul is pretty versatile with those pickups in it and gets played more.

I don't own a "rock guitar" with high output pickups.

Forum Member

I don't own a "rock guitar" with high output pickups.
    Neither do I. A good preamp/boost pedal works better IMO.

I try to get all the sounds that I need from one guitar but when I bring two guitars to my jams it's usually a Strat and a Les Paul.
    I don't gig regularly. I jam with friends at least every couple of weeks and I play about six gigs yearly for two local charities and several warmer weather block parties.

I usually bring only one guitar, my CIJ tele with the duncan jazz in the neck. It does everything I need it to do and makes all the sounds I need -- I absolutely love the thing. It's on the left in this photo.

I had a DiMazio Super Distortion that I had for years and loved but it just didn't fit into what I was doing. If I could quick change it in and out of the guitar I would've kept it.

I think I sold it to chuckocaster.
    you did and it works great for the guitar i put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by curt1lp View Post
    Nope My Lace's are completely passive PUPs. Here's an example of them under moderately high gain conditions. (refer Big Time thread LPF Jamzone.)
    Hmm... maybe I should check these out. I like the kinmans I have, but I'm dying to try some Fralins and some Lace pups...

Hmm... maybe I should check these out. I like the kinmans I have, but I'm dying to try some Fralins and some Lace pups...
    Gotta have tone baby!

Quote Originally Posted by bonso View Post
    If I wanted something fat, but very clean, like Clapton's tone for example, which Fralin set or Lace should I consider? I don't want anything active (never liked active). I've just ordered the Kinman Hank Marvin set. That's really nice sounding. Belltone!!! But I'd like something like that, but more glass-like.

I always considered active pups to be very big and flat. You need tons of EQ to make it sound decent. I A/B-ed my own 62 with Kinman Blues against the EMGs my friend has (dunno which set it was). The EMGs sounded very big, but pretty much dead. Whereas I found the Kinmans to be very expressive. The tone changes depending more on your right hand than your left. But the actives were the same no matter what I did. That's left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to actives...

I don't have single coil noise issues at all.

I bought a new Strat Plus back in '88 that had Lace Sensors in it.
    They were nice pickups but did not have a true single coil sound.
    Have they changed any since then?

Forum Member

The LS in my Ultra actually have more quack and are clearer than the GFS '64 that replaced the LS (all Gold LS) in my plus. But the Ultra has the Silver lace in neck and bridge (Gold in the middle). Originally the Ultra had a wierd combination of Blue, Gold and Dual Reds which didnt sound like a Strat to me.

The Gold Sensors in my '88 Strat were clear as a bell and had a lot of quack. Very Sultans of Swing.

The edginess of a single coil pickup wasn't there which was (and still is) more important to me. That slight bit of dirt and sparkle (spank?) was missing. It's a subtle nuance that I like in single coils that wasn't there.

It wasn't there in the other Lace Sensors that I tried back then or Kinmans that I've owned (Broadcasters in my USACG T-Style) and tried (don't know what models) either.

Forum Member

The Gold Sensors in my '88 Strat were clear as a bell and had a lot of quack. Very Sultans of Swing.

The edginess of a single coil pickup wasn't there which was (and still is) more important to me. That slight bit of dirt and sparkle (spank?) was missing. It's a subtle nuance that I like in single coils that wasn't there.

It wasn't there in the other Lace Sensors that I tried back then or Kinmans that I've owned (Broadcasters in my USACG T-Style) and tried (don't know what models) either.
    Don,

It could be that indvidual guitar. My first Strat Plus was incredible, just a great sounding guitar. That guitar got stolen and the Plus I have now (same Gold LS) just doesnt quite have it, it's never been my main ax. It's not really a bad guitar, just not as good as the first one I had. But then I found the Ultra and after changing to the Silver LS, it now sounds great. Guitars really being the sum of their parts, the Ultra has an ebony board and what I assume is a maple cap. Punchy as hell too.

Quote Originally Posted by JAM View Post
    It could be that indvidual guitar.
    That's true Jam. The difference between two similar guitars is (usually) more dramatic than the difference between noiseless and true single coil pickups.

I have played enough of both types of pickups, even in the same guitar, to have a preference for true single coil pickups although it doesn't matter when there's a drummer and a room full of people!

My Deluxe Plus STRAT...

Same here, i dont have any problems with the noise at all
    Gotta have tone baby!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka View Post
    Thanks man!

Pickups do matter though. The higher output, hotter wound pickups leave you less to work with in my opinion. Think of it as a synth. Low output vintage wind pickups = polyphonic. Overwound high output pickups = monophonic.
    Well,that's a different kind of description,but I must agree!
    A hot pickup seems to "choose" your tone and dynamics for you,as well as challenge your touch----lower powered pups seem to be an obedient canvas willing to accept your choice of colors (take that,Fezz! ).
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Jimmy Page Lace Sensor STRAT

Not sure if this is a Lace Sensor endorsement or not...

Forum Member

I love the idea that a giant guitar legend was able to make himself a custom guitar from parts he took from the signature guitars of other giant guitar legends who happen to be friends of his and were all members of the same band at some point decades ago.

It's a small-world kind of thing, I guess.

Re: Jimmy Page Lace Sensor STRAT

THIS GUITAR WAS USED BY JIMMY EXTENSIVELY
    When? During periods between waking up and nodding out?
    orange picks

How about some studio and live pics and recordings of this "extensive use"!